SPAM Sammich -- No, seriously!

kit

• Super Administrators

I just had me a nice pan-fried crispy SPAM sammich served on lightly toasted homemade whole wheat bread, with lettuce, fresh tomato, and a healthy serving of ketchup. YUM!

And now that I'm basking in the contentment that can only come from the sating of one of my deepest and darkest food cravings, it occurs to me that this is a lovely topic of discussion, especially during the holidays when all the truly strange family recipes are trotted out in the name of tradition.

So, dish! What weirdness does your tummy crave? I'll be snacking on some more SPAM while I wait.

kit

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SPAM----ehhhh "shudders"

when I was younger I craved those Vienna Sausages minus the hair gel they are packed in, when I was single & living on my own, I ate cheese & pickle sandwiches, mainly because it always seemed like I was out of lunch meat when I wanted a sandwich.

these not really sure...........ha ha

RM

I just had me a nice pan-fried crispy SPAM sammich served on lightly toasted homemade whole wheat bread, with lettuce, fresh tomato, and a healthy serving of ketchup. YUM!

I'd substitute mustard for the ketchup, but otherwise that sounds pretty good

Every now and again, I'll have the urge to go to Long John Silvers and get their fried chicken "planks." They're a comfort food for me partly because they remind me of the (boneless) fried chicken (in tempura style batter) that my maternal grandmother used to make.

She also used to take the chicken skin off the breasts that she used and deep fry the chicken skin with some salt. My brother and I used to fight over our allotments. Ah, the things that you can get away with eating when you're a kid. ::):

Ron

My favorite is to boil several chicken hot dogs, heat a can of brunswick stew, chop up an onion, and combine all the above with mustard and ketchup over loaf bread lining a large bowl. Spike says a trough would be more appropriate.

She feels I would be remiss by not mentioning my "Great Recipe of the '90's": the Baked Beanwich. Split a Mrs Winner's biscuit, pile in baked beans and mustard, close, and devour. She still shudders.....

One of my current favourites at the moment is quite odd. It is kind of a weird version of bubble and squeak (an English thing).

Take 500mL of boiling water, add in a beef flavoured stock cube. Add in 1/2cup of polenta. Cook the polenta until it is ready. In a separate pan, brown some minced kangaroo meat, add in some cajun seasoning and some ground black pepper. Add into that frozen peas and corn. Also add in a bit of worscestire (eep spelling??!!!) sauce to the kangaroo meat. Once everything is all cooked stir the polenta into the meat mix (or the other way 'round which ever is easier for you) and then stick it in a bowl and eat.

Very warm, very filling and tastes great!

But Tommy, have you ever craved a big tablespoon full of Marmite/Vegemite coated in smashed-up corn flakes? I had a friend who considered that the best after-school snack ever invented.

Though Steve says I eat alot of things that are weird (mayonnaise in my beans and hot fudge on my french fries), those aren't things I tend to crave, though I like them alot.

My CRAVE food is wheat cracker with cream cheese, tabasco sauce, slice of sweet pickle and topped with smoked oyster.

Ain't nothin' wrong with that. I get the same way about Krystal burgers (White Castle southern-style). Steve and I are known for roadtripping down to Krystals at 3 am, getting a sackful and then eating them in the park by the train depot. It was like .. FOURTHMEAL ..before Fourthmeal was a trademark. :lol:

Wow, you all have me beat, hands down. But I will share a little artery-clogging goodness that my friends beg me to make whenever I'm having a party... Bacon & Cream Cheese. I used to have it as a sammich as a kid (*shudder*), but now I just serve it with crackers.

1. Get out a pack of Philly (yes, Philly, nothing else will do) cream chese and let it soften for about a half hour. You can skip this step if you own a foodprocessor.

2. Unlike Tommy's recipe, fry some bacon (1/4lb. per 8oz. pack of Philly works pretty well) until it is fairly crispy. Save the rendered bacon fat!

3. Chop up said bacon (either by hand or in a food processor).

4. With a fork, combine bacon, cream cheese, and enough of the rendered bacon fat to help make the mix a little softer and smoother in texture (again, the food processor works great for this if you have one).

5. Refridgerate for about 15 minutes to reset the mix and serve with crackers. Yum!

~v