Lets talk about Paint Pallets

Dark Showcase

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried wet palettes too, but got discouraged because I was using the paper for water colors, and two things would happen: the fluid in the paint would just get sucked down into the sponge (I never did quite get that osmosis thing) and little fibers would come off the paper and get stuck in my brush and on the mini. I threw away that set up in complete disgust.

That's pretty common if You use standard breakfast-packaging paper (I don't know the exact name in english). The key to wet palette's magic is using 100% parchment - it won't let the paint through and fibers off it, yet still let the water through. I'm using wet palette for any "sensitive" highlights job and it works perfectly.

As for normal palette, If the colors don't have to stay wet for too long (that's where I use wet palette), I just use and old CD.

Hm, I like the look of that eastman. If you know, how would you say the size of the wells on that compare to the size of the wells on a petal ceramic palette?

From the link he posted, it lists the dimensions as 4 5/8" wide by 3 5/8" long, so I'm guessing the wells are probably a bit under 1 inch in diameter. That would actually make it just the size I've been thinking I'd want... but at $19.10 plus shipping, I probably won't be getting one anytime soon; I'll stick to my own ceramic flat tiles and 7-well petal.

I had some money from returning the *shudder* synthentic brushes Mr. Rastl bought for me (more on that later) and after buying the brushes I really wanted I was able to get a new palette too!

post-1846-1167229173.jpg

I liked the different size wells on this one.

And how did he end up buying synthetic brushes for me? Well, instead of ordering from the supplier carefully provided on my list and simply selecting the items from my wish list he decided to go local. They had one of the brushes I wanted and one that was similar to what I wanted. Then the clerk said 'If she uses those then she really needs these too' and convinced him to buy some that were a blend of sable and taklon. The points on the 'good' brushes were carp so back they went and because they're the WNS7 line they only keep a couple in stock. Turns out no one in the area goes to them for good brushes - go figure. And to add insult to injury they toss the bristle protectors! Okee - I'm going on a rant here. Lookit my palatte!

I use a porcelain "spot plate" https://www1.fishersci.com/Coupon?cid=1328&gid=165308

F14536-01~wn.jpg

Hm, I like the look of that eastman. If you know, how would you say the size of the wells on that compare to the size of the wells on a petal ceramic palette?

From the link he posted, it lists the dimensions as 4 5/8" wide by 3 5/8" long, so I'm guessing the wells are probably a bit under 1 inch in diameter. That would actually make it just the size I've been thinking I'd want... but at $19.10 plus shipping, I probably won't be getting one anytime soon; I'll stick to my own ceramic flat tiles and 7-well petal.

The wells are about 3/4" diameter and approx 1/4" deep. I got mine as 'about to be discarded lab equipment' aka 'cheap as free'.

It keeps your paint wet a WHOLE lot longer. Mine is a sandwich tupperware container, and with the airtight lid in place paint stays wet for days. So I end up using far less paint. Also, I mix a lot- for example, when I'm almost done with a mini I can still pull some paint from the first color I used, so if I have to retouch an area I don't have to try and match the color.

I use both the a wet palette similar to the one above and the petal ceramic palette. The ceramic is mostly for washes and glazes, when I reach the point where the added water seeps back down into the sponge below (I've been using palette paper, so I'll have to look into the parchment suggested above). Agreed with everyone else--ceramic is amazing, and cleans like a dream.

I second what mattmcl said: I paint slowly, so having the paint stay wet (from one session to the next) is a HUGE plus in using the wet palette--and being able to go back to previously used colors without having to re-mix is a big help, as well. It took a bit of time to get used to how the paints behaved differently on the wet palette, but the more I use it, the more I love it.

The biggest problem is that my sponge is yellow, and so I don't have a true white palette--but I have enough white surface around (and that ceramic palette!) to get a good read on the true color before sloshing it all over the mini. I also have to soak my sponge in distilled water--the tap water out here is atrocious, and does bizarre things to paint when I thin with it.

But the trade-off is worth the convenience to me--wet palette (with occasional ceramic palette use) all the way!

What exactly is the advantage of a wet pallete, other than it keeping your paint wet for just a little while longer? is that actually easier than, oh i dunno, adding a dab of water every now and then ?

the advantage is not that it keeps the paint wet " a little while longer " but a long time. The masterson type I use has kept a mix wet and useable for over 3 days...it has a lid that traps the moisture in and keeps the paint wet. Another thing is that the paint won't develope that annoying "skin" around the perimeter that I use to get all the time before I switched to the wet pallette. It suits my style of painting just fine because I am very stingy when it comes to my paints and I can judge just about the right amount to pull from the container or squeeze out onto the pallette.

Dear all:

Right on, right on, Dark Showcase, err I meant Angorak, ^_^ outlines the reasons to use a wet palette.

the advantage is not that it keeps the paint wet " a little while longer " but a long time. The masterson type I use has kept a mix wet and useable for over 3 days...it has a lid that traps the moisture in and keeps the paint wet. Another thing is that the paint won't develope that annoying "skin" around the perimeter that I use to get all the time before I switched to the wet pallette. It suits my style of painting just fine because I am very stingy when it comes to my paints and I can judge just about the right amount to pull from the container or squeeze out onto the pallette.

Thanks,

mRgUnN

Dear all:

Right on, right on, Dark Showcase outlines the reasons to use a wet palette.

Thanks,

mRgUnN

That was actually Angorak. ::P: