Spray primer has no tooth

Sergeant_Crunch

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear All:

I have used Armory, Krylon, and Citadel and they all did me wrong. I have had super great results with Floquil F330021 white primer and F330010 black primer. So now I use Floquil primers and nothing else. Not the cheapest or easiest to find, however it works for me.

There is a great article on primers here.

Other folk's opinions about floquil on this board can be found here.

Good luck!

mRgUnN

Hmmmmm....it is possible that the conditions weren't right when you primered the mini(s). I use Krylon Flat White almost exclusively now and have only noticed that when the mercury drops so does the ability of the primer to cover and maintain a flat "toothy" property. I'm going to give the Tamiya primer a try but at $8.25 a can at my local Hobbytown it still gives me some pause...lol. :wacko:

Okies, I never say anything on these forums, I’ve been waiting to get involved til I have a camera that’ll take good pics of my minis, but, I just got a can of the games workshop primer, it's a new kind, I think, or just a different label, but it wont stick to my pewter minis at all and it’s unusually shiny...I know this is no help to the topic, but I just had to mention it, because it's the first time I've ever had a problem with primer I"ve always used games workshops chaos black...I know this should have its own post, but any tips on how to make it less shiny? I hate having to toss a thin layer of black paint over the primer, just to dull it down...

Lilly:

...I just got a can of the games workshop primer, it's a new kind, I think, or just a different label, but it wont stick to my pewter minis at all and it’s unusually shiny...

Hi!

My experience is that all black primers are a little glossy, not sure why, but I think it has something to do with solvent based versus water based and brush vs spray paints and application methods. However, it should at least stick to the mini.

Spray painting is very tricky, there are so many factors involved: humidity, temperature, windy conditions, how close or far your stream was when you sprayed this batch of minis, the nozzel clogging, how long you shook the bottle before spraying, how hot or cold the paint can or the mini was when you sprayed, e.g. was it near the air conditioning vent, blah blah blah. ::(: So it could be just an abberation based on one of the factors above.

My personal opinion and experience is that GW primers are inconsistently manufactured and have many defects, clogging nozzels etc. So I would drop kick the GW primer in the ash can and then drop your mini into a vat of Easy-Off oven cleaner and start over with a different primer, preferably Floquil or Tamiya.

See the links I provided earlier in this thread for more on primers.

Good Luck!

mRgUnN