New Reptus player

shizzleton

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well for starters, you want some more warriors. Most people will agree that warriors are the most bang for your buck in the reptus army. They have 11 Defense, which is really pretty high. They also have deflect which gives them an extra point of DV against ranged attacks. This means that they will almost always survive to close with the enemy. Just don't get more than 2 or 3 packs of them, because at the thousand point level you will only be able to field one troop of them since they are adepts (if you didn't know about this you should check the errata which can be found on reapergames). If you want to get a bunch of them together consider buying the reptus starter box, because it has a ton of warriors in it, as well as a cleric who you don't have.

Next, get some Skullbreakers. You'll see people complain about how the breakers always get pin-cushioned before they can attack the enemy. The main reason they say this is because they are used to playing with lots of those practically invincible warriors. If you play smart, then this definately won't happen. Keep the breakers behind cover, or behind warriors, so that they don't get shot.

I also like clutchlings instead of longstrikers for my reach support. Clutchlings are faster than the Longstrikers and are just as good at offering reach support. And they cost less.

I don't ever bring more than 4 archers to a 1000 point game, and usually only bring 2 or 3. You should be find starting out with only the three you have. But this is just a playstyle thing, some people might insist that you need a full dozen.

As far as your krungbeast goes, I don't think that the model is worth it's points. I've got one, and he comes every now and again just to mix up my list, but I usually leave wishing I had my Krung's points invested in grunts.

I much better breed of solo is the river troll. Buy Uru. I still stand by the claim that he is the most points efficient model in the game. I love Uru. I don't leave home without him. And his lesser river-troll cousins are also great. They are cheap, so you can have several. And each one brings you another card to help turn the initiative deck in your favor. And people tend to get scared of them. They see that big old troll coming across the table and over react, thus freeing you up to move about more freely.

A last bit of advice would be to get/make a totem of battle. Since the reptus are typically a melee army witha high number of models, a totem can make a BIIIG difference. For ideas see the reptus thread. Mine looks like this:

trollfamilyandstuff006edited2h.th.jpg

When you build your lists I would sugest that you approach them in this way: "Ok, I got Uru and my troop full of warriors, now what else can I fit in here?" For other strategy tips and advise check The Reptus Tactics Thread

I'll write a sample list and put it up here

Here is a list which worked very well for me in a tournament setting. I don't normally do that sort of thing (I prefer the comfort of a friendly game in someone's home) but I came within a hair's breadth of first place, so my list must have been decent.

Lots of grunts and a totem

Troop 1:

Chai Uut, Divine Favor

warriors x6

archers x3

Troop 2:

Audt

breakers x7

troop 3:

Audt

cletchlings x6

musician (so that these boys can act as anti archers or objective retrievers)

troops 4:

Uru

Troops 5-6:

River Trolls

Totem of battle.

999 points

29 models

6 cards

You could play this list without too many purchases either. All you would need would be Uru, another troll, a few blisters of breakers, a pack of warriors, and some clutchlings. Use Khong-to as aproxy for the captain, and buy a pair of sergeants. Throw in anything that is on a 2x2 base to be your totem of battle, and your set.

The way to play this list is to spread your archers out in the first turn, and then park them and shoot twice with all of them every turn. If your lucky, they won't ever have to move. If they are engaged, don't worry, just wait until your turn and then roll to break contact, back up, and shoot your attaacker. This way they can't defensive strike you and you have a much better chance of hitting them. Your totem should be set in your deployment zone, and then hopefully forgotten. The Clutchlings are a speed troop which can either act as archer/cleric/mage hunters, or mob something bigger (like an ogre or a krungbeast). The troop of warriors should let the archers go off and do their own thing, and move straight for the enemy. With that totem helping them out they should wallop most other grunts in the game. The breakers should do the same thing only being sure to stay behind cover. I like to deploy my breakers behind my warriors so that the warriors don't get slowed down having to move through the breakers. The two trolls should be used to bolster your warriors/breakers lines, or sent off to distract the enemy. They make good arrow magnets. Send them towards an enemy archer and that archer is liable to ignore your low DV clutchlings and breakers in favor of wasting shots on the high defensive value trolls. Uru is your only big hitter, and he aint so big. That is where this list lacks. If someone brings a big nasty like their warlord or a hill giant, or any other big melee bruiser, you don't have a model to go toe to toe with it. But you do have ALOT of smaller guys. Just mob the big models, don't worry about losing a few grunts. In the end you'lll come out on top.

One last note. I forgot to mention that I dislike the rangers. I find them to hard to use without getting them killed off. Others may have more success, but I don't use 'em unless I have to (in reeeaaaally big games).

Can you tell that I like to talk about the lizards?

I bought the rangers because of the ranger moves, and they could get to enemy archers quickly, but I haven't gotten a chance to test the theory, as so far I haven't played my Reptus, (I've played someone else's elves), and also, what advantage does Chai Uut have over the big To? I have played a Pit Fit with Khong-To, and he pretty much knows how to own in close combat.

EDIT: Nice totem

First off i'd like to welcome you to the clutch... now that that out of the way.

Clutchlings are a must have in an Reptus army, a unit of about 5-6 are great for hit and run tactics to take out you enemies solos. I agree full heartedly with the unit of warriors. if your in combat for more than a round try and get a clutching to support then and don't forget to use your aura of jade.

Uru (and kin) is defantly a must have. Don't be foolish and run him by himself though. No model can hold there own when swarmed. If you have him supported by our cleric, letting her heal those stray wounds that Uru gets, He should easy take out a good 200pts.

The breakers keep behind the warriors until you get in combat, once again support with clutchlings and use the Aura. They are very hard hitting when you have a todem and support.

The krung beast... what can i say when it works it's devistating, sadly this doesn't happen alot. Because of it's speed if it's held up for mor than a two rounds it's as good as out.

As for the snakes well they're in the same boat as the clutchling keap them out of sight and swarn to take out solos. about 4 should do it if your careful.

In summary:

Must haves - todem, Uru, warriors, clutchlings

Always support when ever you can

Avoid - krung, longstrikes

Edit:

"advantage does Chai Uut have over the big To"... simple about 175 points.

"I bought the rangers because of the ranger moves, and they could get to enemy archers quickly" that's the clutchling jobs keep them hidden in woods where posable and swarm what comes too close. use your ranger move to get to safty faster, try having a troop of 4 snakes (one with musition) 5 clutchlings and an Audt this saves you about 56pts.

Chai-uut is MUUUUUUUUCH cheaper than the Khonger. He comes in at 73 points. The Khonger is 254. This means that to put the khonger in a 1000 point game you would have to sacrafice a quarter of your army. It would be quite likely that your big To would get stepped on by a troop of about 10 grunts. I'm not argueing about the Khonger's effectiveness in a fight, 'cuz he owns, he just costs alot. Most people won't bring a warlord uness they have too just because numbers are such abig adavantage. For example:

Khong-to gets in a fight with 11 reptus warriors, which is an even points match up. Only 6 of those warriors can get in base to base with the khonger at a time. So lets say they base him and then it's his turn and he swings first. He rolls absolutely magnificently and kills 3 targets. Only 2 get to whack back because he has first strike, and they both miss. Next card three more warriors step up innto the holes created by the khonger's last attack. Now each of the six warriors swings with a plus 5 support bonus. The ones in the back also get a bonus for hitting from behind. The khonger probably dies here, in which case he is allowed to roll brilliantly and kill 3 more warriors. This means that the khonger's side has lost 254 points worth of warlord. The warriors side will have lost 138 points worth of warriors. That is no-where near an even trade. If the khonger somehow survives another round he will be killed even faster in his weakened state by the remaining 5 warriors.

A troop with Chai-Uut and 8 warriors will fair much better against the 11 warriors.

Welcome to the swamp.

Moosey and Hellsgate have pretty much covered the tactics for us good old lizards. The nagendra I have tried myself and while they are great at killing off solos with their 2 #MA they die instantly with defensive strikes so either take a group of them or not at all. Uru is an awesome powerhouse when supported and can easily make up his point cost and then some. Make sure that T'Kay (our cleric) isn't too far off because one lucky hit and his stats go down the tubes. Sometimes Uru's best tactic is scaring the pants off of your opponent and making him devote a ton of troops/missles/spells to take him out. Even if he dies in a mass of enemy pounding he has done his part by making sure the rest of your army got in there and can hit the rest of his force in mass and then work your way down it.

Like its been said Chai is pretty much a cheaper leader choice and that's his main advantage. Not that he's bad or anything but when you are talking over 100 points in savings that's a lot of soldiers that you are going to have to give up to field the Khonger. If the area you are playing in is just starting out and everyone is fielding their warlords to make up points then you'll find ours is a melee monster. If everyone has a nice sized selection of grunts then you'll find yourself at the bottom of a pigpile (especially if you are facing Reven. ::P: ). I like our archers and tend to field 4 whether its a 750 point game or 1000 but that is just playstyle more than anything else.

The best advise is to proxy in a few things and get a feel for how you like to play.

Hey welcome to the swamp. We hope you enjoy your stay at our wonderful city of Jade. Please help yourself to one of our many drinks at the Dragon Folk bar and Grill, where feeding the young, comes after we feed you. Urr... Umm..

Moosey seems to have put you in the right direction. So I'll try and keep my advice somewhat small, less time reading means more time playing.

Don't be afraid to try new things, and find a play style you like. Moosey likes to move a horde of Reptus warriors across the board, but I like to take fewer warriors and back them up with clutchings; I prefer mixing my troops. Make sure you experiment a little and find what is fun for you.

Warriors are a must, have at least 6, possibly 9. I usually field 6 and 3 clutchlings in a troop.

I love the Krung Beast, I have two. I field both of them at times and love every minute of it.

Buy Uru. Highest DV in the entire game, on one of the cheapest models in the game. This is not a recommendation, if you want to play Reptus you must own him.

Reptus have some of the best Archers in the game. I own 9, but usually field 3-6 in 1,000 games. You'll find out after a few games if you enjoy playing ranged models. They are effective, but Reptus are made for melee, so to each their own.

I love the skull breakers. I have horrible luck with them, but they are a blast to play with. Just supply them with cover or move them behind other troops to make sure they get into combat.

The new nagendra spitter is a fun model. Pick up one to get a handle on him. He is very different from most models in the game.

Hola,

Welcome.

Well, if you have been playing elves for a bit, then the reptus will be a huge change in playstyle for you.

Here are a couple lists that I just threw together that for the most part take advantage of the models you already own that I think would be fun to play:

• troop 1
    • chai-uut 73
    • Ssudai (lightning bolt, dispel, 2 ice shards, scare) 135
    • 7x warriors 161

[*] troop 2

• Audt 43
    • 3x breakers 72
    • 2x archers 82
    • 2x clutchlings 42

[*]troop 3

• Ssathus 49
    • 2x Venomspitters 128
    • 3x rangers 96

[*]troop 4

• Uru 66

[*]troop 5

• rivertroll 52

5 troops, 25 models, 999 points

strength: This one puts some sort of ranged attack in each of the three main troops. weakness: is a bunch of more expensive models means less models overall. I just wanted to throw the new venomspitters in to see how they would fit in.

• troop 1
    • chai-uut 73
    • Tkay (4x bandage) 111
    • 7x warriors 161

[*] troop 2

• Audt 43
    • 3x breakers 72
    • 3x archers 123
    • 2x clutchlings (1x musician) 57

[*]troop 3

• Ssathus 49
    • 1x Venomspitters 64
    • 3x rangers 96

[*]troop 4

• Uru (moderate magic protection) 96

[*]troop 5

• rivertroll 52

5 troops, 25 models, 997 points

Basically the same models, swapping in an archer you already own for a spitter, and cleric for a mage. This list bolsters Uru's magic defense a little, focuses on healing the injured to keep them in the fight, and the speed of your troops to get across the field. Like before, due to a higher average cost per model, there are less overall than I would like, but still I think a good balanced fun list to try.

if both players agree to some sort of scenario rule that says everyone needs to include a high point model, then bringing the Khong works just fine in lower point games.

And there are plenty of circumstances where he is worth bringing in lower point games even if the enemy doesnt. But, the problem is you have to weigh the number of situations where is he good versus the number of situations where he isnt, and the lower the point total, the less of the good side there are (only because 10s always hit, and 10-15 rolls at 2 will still on average hit more often than 3 rolls at 5).

Well, as I have a 1000 point game sunday, and I don't make too much money as I'm too lazy to get a job, my list is as follows:

Troop 1:

Khong-To, 5x warriors

Troop 2:

River Troll

Troop 3:

Krungbeast

Troop 4:

5x Archers

Troop 5:

3x Rangers

Troop 6:

3x Clutchlings, +1 musician

I obviously put in a lot of high-cost stuff, and a lot of archers, mainly because I like to shoot, reptus have good archers, and I don't have enough money to go buy a bunch of models before this weekend.