Sign in to follow this  
Stern Kestrelmann

Pearl the Mermaid

Thanks Vol! I did this one in three sittings... Probably could have gone another level or two with some of the highlights.

Very cool model. She's got gill slits on the side of her neck and wild webbing in between her fingers.

She can eat crackers in my rowbot anytime... :lol:

G'day mate!

SK

Wow, she's a beaut, Stern! I have to admit, I don't particularly agree with the decision to darkline the transition from skin to scale, but aside from that, Wow!

Her hair is very nice, and, although you say you could go another level or two with the highlighting, I think the scales look very nice. Some very nice color choices, too.

This is one I can't wait to do myself, and it's always inspiring to see great paint-ups of minis I'm planning to paint soon!

Good job. I like how the scales rise up the back, and even the shadow under her hand is there. I have this one sitting on my desk, I never thought of green fish parts, I like it.

I've always enjoyed your minis, Stern, but lately your pics of everything seem too blue for me to make out the *true* colors and their (assumed) transitions. You've mentioned you recently acquired a fluorescent lamp -- does your camera also have a setting to correct for this coldish tone in the photos?

Some of these have to be warm colors, but they all seem to pick up the bluish cast. Funny thing also, your WIP ones seem more "accurate" color-wise.

Thanks for the comments gang.

morrigan- Thanks and I agree with you on this one. This new lamp is very bright, but the light is different the anything I've ever seen! To compensate for this I did try to use a different white balance setting on this batch of photos, but they continue to come out with a blueish tint to them. What I may do with my next model is return to using my old light set up and see if this makes a difference.

SK

Hi Stern -- I've never really dithered with the white balance meself; my digital camera (a Canon 520) actually has a specific "lighting" setting for different kinds of light, including sunlight, incandescent and fluorescent. Works really spiffily to correct for those variances.

Definitely looking forward to the next model! ^_^

Nice ,

First one of these Ive seeen with black hair, I like it alot. Kind of has an Asian feel too it. Great work Stern.

I love this mini and you made a good mini even better.