Sign in to follow this  
Beowulfthehunter

Male Roleplayers who want to play a female character

As a GM, player and PC gamer, I think it's best taken on a case-by-case basis, considering three factors -- emotional maturity (of the player and of the group), the player's roleplaying ability/skill/experience, and the context/genre of the campaign/game itself.

In RPGs, I'm usally about 50/50 playing male and female characters.

In computer games, I usually lean toward playing female characters. In WoW, every single one of my alliance characters is female, and I have over a dozen that I play with some regularity. Most of my horde characters are male.

I've always thought it was amusing when people would get freaked out about me playing female characters. I just don't understand why it's such a problem with some people. Even in this thread, I've not really found any concrete thing which people have an issue with -- 'creeped out' is just way too vague and to me implies that the problem lies not with the 'creeper' but instead with the 'creepee'.

Yup. This might be a case where we should blame the victim, so to speak. To the original poster: Why were you creeped out? Also, sorry to be nitpickin' but I couldn't understand the spelling/grammar of part of your post, so maybe I'm missing something.

From your post:

"So how do you feel about a male player who wants to roleplay a female character. I personally find it pretty disturbing. This could be based on the fact that the few guys who I have played with that ran a female character where pretty waked out and quite frankly made me nervous."

What does "where pretty waked out" mean?

I've played with a male roleplaying a female and he did a darn good job of it. I'd roleplay a male if I liked the model better (but most of my friends are male and I tend to get along with males better than females long term), but then again, in our game gender doesn't seem to matter a whole lot. I'm really indifferent as long as the player doesn't do it just for shock value in their group, but then again if they wanted to play a half-orc for shock value or an evil character for shock value, I'd feel the same way.

What does "where pretty waked out" mean?

I'm guessing it means "were pretty whacked out" - or not mentally stable to begin with.

In my opinion, if they're "whacked out" already, I don't particularly want to be role-playing with them to begin with regardless of gender, as those types have a tendancy to be unable to distinguish between reality and the game.

I thought he was saying they showed up in drag or somethin'. WHERE PRETTY WALKED OUT could be read into that.

With "pretty whacked out", it all boils down to maturity. Some groups can handle it, while others can't.

Let me start with: if they are willing to try, let 'em. If they are 'pretty whacked' don't game with 'em. And not all gay men can play females, I speak from experience.

I've been in 2 games that have had cross gendered players to characters.

Josh played an female elven cleric of the goddess of death. very believeable, and only a couple of times during the game (almost 2 years) was I hit over the head with a bit of roleplaing that made me remember she was being played by a guy (and he sat accross from me).

All I remember about the other was it wasn't very good. Which just means he never had me convinced.

Now DM playing NPC's of a different gender; our DM recently had to portray the grandmother of a girl we were looking for, and we un-sensitivly prodded into her past, to try and find out about her daughter and the curcumstances of her grand daughters conception. It was such an amazing performance, that I (both in and out of character) was moved to tears as this little old lady described the harshness of being a war captive and the R*** she had endured.

Paraphrase movie quote. Cue Jack Nicolson voice.

"Playing a female character is easy. Just think of a man, and take away reason and accountability."

You get a boot to the head for this... ::P:

A couple my other players would completely creep me out if they wanted to - like the guy who always played one of the same two Elven wizard characters in EVERY game he's ever played in - something I didn't find out about until a year into the campaign.

We had one of them only it was an elven druid.

'Boot to the head expected. Glad you saw the joke for what it was. I have slowly become a table top guy over the years, and lost my love of roleplaying, but the most recent (5 years ago?) campaign that I remember the most had my friend Tom playing Shiloh, a female rogue character, and he did a great job with that character, so much so, that we remember every crazy stunt she ever pulled, that we knew of (in game, she got over on us a couple of times).

I've seen male players do a good job playing a female PC, and a terrible job. For me, I haven't got the balls to play a female PC and play it convincingly. Er, wait, that came out all wrong.

Let me start with: if they are willing to try, let 'em. If they are 'pretty whacked' don't game with 'em. And not all gay men can play females, I speak from experience.

::chuckle:: But sometimes straight guys can play gay ones. That reminds me of the time I was GMing a game, and the PCs all sat down to dinner with the flamingly gay wizard NPC. Apparently, my performance was a little too good, and the players wondered for awhile if I would be coming out of the closet soon.

I don't know if I could pull off a convincing female PC, but I can apparently pull off a gay male one.

I honestly don’t have a problem with Men playing women. This is likely because my Husband does it, a lot. When we run around on guild wars I think all but 2 of his characters are female, His reasoning, He's rather be watching a woman's pixilated body than a mans. When we first met he was playing more female characters than male. I think he did it because he enjoyed watching peoples reactions. (Keep in mind some one who's 6'4" and not exactly tiny, playing the petit female sorcerer. :rolleyes: ) He plays a more convincing girly girl than I do. One of my favorite people to RP with before I moved up north was a gay man and his female monk/cleric. On the flip side we had some real creeps in the same group who, from what I witnessed, played women who were just, too use the nice term for it “loose.” What it boils down to really, is the maturity of the person portraying the character and their reasoning for doing it. I on the other hand can’t play a male to save my life, which is going to be a problem when we start running into the Red Wizards… :rock:

The GM either "has to" or "gets to" play female characters. It's part of the job. I find men playing female PCs to be somehow "not cool" and I shun them. I'm not exactly sure why, but it's just wrong. Amd women who want ot play men? That's ok. Just as my wife can wear and looks good in my shirts, I don't and should not wear hers. It's just how it works.

I don't have a problem with it, though I'm not particularly good at it and certain people shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the idea (as this article demonstrates). As my argument largely mirrors the linked article, I won't reiterate most of it; but what it basically comes down to is: realistically, how different are men and women when you take away stereotypical behavior? Is it possible to "incorrectly" roleplay your own character? I don't think so, though it is quite possible to make your character an offensive stereotype (which should, of course, be avoided...)

My husband and I once played a small game with another couple with whom we are friends. The other woman was GMing, and everyone else was playing female characters. What's creepy is when your husband is playing the ex-harem gal who flirts with everyone - including both PCs and all NPCs. I think my husband is a better female flirt than I am!!

Otherwise, we have players, both male and female, who play cross-gendered characters. One woman in particular plays a male elf in two different campaigns and we all have trouble remembering to refer to her character as a "him." We occasionally joke that her character just needs to get hit with a change gender spell so we can get it right.

Generally speaking, I haven't found it particularly disturbing, but I've never had to game with anyone whom I'd call really creepy (well, okay, there was this 1-shot "everyone is evil" game once.. *shiver* ..).

/ali

I've played a female character before, because I loved the miniature and had to use it - Nienna, Female Ranger for the Scout I was creating. Initially I had a lot of fun playing the character, it was nice to stretch my role playing legs a bit more than usual, but some in the group I was gaming with couldn't take it seriously enough so I ended up retiring her out of frustration and annoyance at their behavior towards the character. :down:

I personally don't have a problem with gender crossed characters, so long as they do not become annoying gender stereotypes or caricatures. Too often I have seen a guy playing basically a sex starved nympho or an ugly flat chested female. Both have little appeal to me, and are more often than not, poorly portrayed anyways.

Having been a player in the same game Nissiana mentioned earlier in this thread, I have also had some good experiences with roleplayers taking genders other than their own. Generally speaking, I say go for it. Very few games actually have a mechanic for different genders (I think TSR's old Alternity is the most recent I know of), so it entirely falls on the shoulders of the pkayer as a roleplaying exercise. If s/he can, do.

Of course, I also know that is easier said than done. Having once attempted to direct a scene in which I had two female actors playing roles understood as male and one male actor playing a role understood as female, I know it can be difficult for some to realize that THERE ISN'T MUCH DIFFERENCE between the two. People, male or female, can have pretty close to the same motivations for things despite their gender. If a player can't handle the largely mental block, then they probably shouldn't try it. But if they can, or if they want to work around that block, then why should it be "creepy" for them to do so. If it ends up not working, then let them roll up a new character (or rework the old one with a new gender).