wildbill

2,000 Point Armies

Has anyone tried designing a 2,000 point army without solos? It is quite amazing just how many more models get plopped down on the battlefield when you have no solos in play!! I developed the ultimate Dwarf list, of course. :devil:

I won't give any details just yet, but I will say I have 52 models in it!! :lol:

The only criteria besides the lack of solos is the fact that I want you to design an army that you would be willing to field should you face someone that is playing solos. So, yes, I want a real viable army design. I like my design. I'd be willing to take it up against someone's typical 2,000 point army. ^_^

I'll post my army after a few people have commented. :poke:

Wild Bill :blues:

Hmmm... I figured I would try my hand at this, since I'm going to be building a Sisters of the Blade army.

Well, it appears that at least until the Mercs book comes out that it's impossible to build a Sisters sub-faction list that large. I'll have to go back and try with crusaders.

Now William,

You know as well as I do that even at 2000 points and no solos, I could still have a huge range of options. I could build a single troop fully decked out with lots of goodies army, or I could take like 1000 goblins and make your 52 look squeamish...

You have to have more specifications than simply build a 2000 pnt list with no solo...

Hardly challening? By Crom, man, don't you understand what this means?! It's got no solos! (screams, runs in circles, falls into brief coma) Wow, I pack as many solos as I can in my lists. I love solos.

So a 2K army with no solos. I would pack Judas with 2 Elites and a max of Crimson Knights. Then Briarkiss with an Elite and max Crimson Knights. A dark cloud of Crypt Bats led by Eikar. Finally Sir Athak packing Chattel and Wraiths. Hmmm, this does look kinda fun. What a complete bloodbath. Vamps love bloodbaths.

Darn it, Wildbill, I have work to do. Now I have to post this silly army just because you put the horrible idea in my head. It turns out I was almost spot on in my last post even though I didn't have point values or a calculator. Go me.

Judas + Divine Favor

Sir Osric

Naomi

9 Crimson Knighs + Musician

Briairkiss

Tharian

9 Crimson Knights + Musician

Sir Athak

5 Chattel

4 Wraiths

Eikar, Bat Lord

8 Crypt Bats

2000 points, 43 models. Not that many, I guess. Sounds like these 2 armies need to meet.

Ok, for the heck of it, here is a quick Reptus list:

Troop 1:

Khong (Imprvd prtn, divine favor, moderate magic protection)

Ssudai (Stun, Lightning bolt)

9x warriors (1 musician)

Troop 2:

Audt

9x warriors (1 musician)

Troop 3:

Audt

9x warriors (1 musician)

Troop 4:

Audt

5x archers (improved prtn)

4x nagendra spitters

Equipment:

Battle Totem

Total: 41 models with a DV high enough to live more than one turn and a totem to make them have a hint of offense. Gave up a few models to improve the survivability of the archers. And I just think that with that many points flying around, the CP3 spitters would find a few targets of their own.

May not work, but would have fun finding out...

-----------------------------------

Oh, and based on how much fun I had with them the other night, I also came up with a quick list that had like 45-48 hanged men with a battle totem and musicians. They dont have the DV that the Reptus warriors have, but 45 hanged men = about 75 swings of mav 3 or better per turn which increses their fun. And since they dont have tough, they dont have to worry about the affects of bane anyway or vampire feedings either... They just have to worry about putting the hurt on quickly, cause they are not gonna outlast the enemy..

I don't know about an effective army but coming out a 2000 point list with no solo is hardly challenging at all.

I play large dwarf horde armies a lot and they are very effective. I played a 1501 version of the list below with Logan the other night against the people of the desert wind and won fairly easily. Horde armies start slow but overtime the sheer volume is too much for a lot of armies.

Herryk Aesir, Dwarven High Cleric 201 4 bandages 2 dispel 261

kara GA= 168

4 warriors = 96

2 halbeards = 36

music

GARGRAM 34

7 swift axes 154

music

Logrim Battlefury cleric gma df 4 bandages 187

Ivar Silverfist 63 4 bandages 103

4 warriors = 96

2 halbeards = 36

music

Freya 77

7 shieldmaidens 182

music

Fulumbar 79

10 halberds 180

music

Gargram 34

7 shieldmaidens 182

music

51 models

6 cards

Ok, for the heck of it, here is a quick Reptus list:

Troop 1:

Khong (Imprvd prtn, divine favor, moderate magic protection)

Ssudai (Stun, Lightning bolt)

9x warriors (1 musician)

Troop 2:

Audt

9x warriors (1 musician)

Troop 3:

Audt

9x warriors (1 musician)

Troop 4:

Audt

5x archers (improved prtn)

4x nagendra spitters

Equipment:

Battle Totem

Total: 41 models with a DV high enough to live more than one turn and a totem to make them have a hint of offense. Gave up a few models to improve the survivability of the archers. And I just think that with that many points flying around, the CP3 spitters would find a few targets of their own.

May not work, but would have fun finding out...

-----------------------------------

Oh, and based on how much fun I had with them the other night, I also came up with a quick list that had like 45-48 hanged men with a battle totem and musicians. They dont have the DV that the Reptus warriors have, but 45 hanged men = about 75 swings of mav 3 or better per turn which increses their fun. And since they dont have tough, they dont have to worry about the affects of bane anyway or vampire feedings either... They just have to worry about putting the hurt on quickly, cause they are not gonna outlast the enemy..

I don't think you can have 3 units of Adept Reptus Warriors in 2,000 points there, Jason. ^_^

Plus, you don't think making a 2,000 point list is challenging? You're right, it essentially is fairly easy. However, if I take a list decked out with meaty solos (like Rauthuros, for example), do you think this army that you just designed would be able to take it down? That was my point in this little exercise. ::):

I don't know about an effective army but coming out a 2000 point list with no solo is hardly challenging at all.

I play large dwarf horde armies a lot and they are very effective. I played a 1501 version of the list below with Logan the other night against the people of the desert wind and won fairly easily. Horde armies start slow but overtime the sheer volume is too much for a lot of armies.

Herryk Aesir, Dwarven High Cleric 201 4 bandages 2 dispel 261

kara GA= 168

4 warriors = 96

2 halbeards = 36

music

GARGRAM 34

7 swift axes 154

music

Logrim Battlefury cleric gma df 4 bandages 187

Ivar Silverfist 63 4 bandages 103

4 warriors = 96

2 halbeards = 36

music

Freya 77

7 shieldmaidens 182

music

Fulumbar 79

10 halberds 180

music

Gargram 34

7 shieldmaidens 182

music

51 models

6 cards

You only have one person shooting in 2,000 points?!?! :blink: Honestly, I don't think that is wise! My opinion, of course. :wub:

Here is my army list that I designed:

Herryk Aesir + GMA + DV + 2 Dispel + 5 Bandages

Durgam Deepmug + GMA

9 Warriors

Musician

Freya

4 Shieldmaidens

5 Halberdiers

Musician

Fulumbar

Ivar + LME + 4 Bandage + 1 Cure

5 Piercers

4 Swiftaxes

Musician

Gargram

5 Piercers

4 Swiftaxes

Musician

Logrim + IP

4 Shieldmaidens

5 Halberdiers

Musician

Totals: 1,999 Points, 52 Models, 5 Troops

Every unit but Logrim's is at the max. His is one short. The swiftaxes are there only to wade in after the rest of the army has started engaging. Because of their low DV, they'll hang back and then charge in with their high MAV to finish off whatever baddie remains. :upside:

Re read the boards my friend...

Khong To can take warriors without having them count as adepts... So, yep, I can have 3 troops of them.

Related to Rathuros, I would say the answer is yes. It has been proven time and time again that all it takes is a single roll of 10 to hit. I can have a full troop of DV11 warriors with attack 2 (+ minimum 3-4 each for b2b support) swinging at him. And that would be a troop less of whatever faction you have on the field. Dont get me wrong, I know he would take out a slew of them before he goes, but as he gets hit, his MAV goes down, but my warriors would still keep their DV11.

Replace Rathurous (one of the most expensive solos in the game) with multiple lesser but still powerful solos, and the answer gets a little more greyscale.

Re read the boards my friend...

Khong To can take warriors without having them count as adepts... So, yep, I can have 3 troops of them.

Just some friendly advice, make sure you bring a copy of that errata by Emmel with you whenever you travel to tournaments! I didn't know about it, and if you had come up here without the errata, I would have made you change your army. ^_^

Otherwise, I'm not scared of your DV 11 warriors! My DV 11 maidens have MAV 3 base! Bwah-ha-ha-ha! And then with their halberdier servants, MAV 4!! Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!! :devil::lol:

You only have one person shooting in 2,000 points?!?! :blink: Honestly, I don't think that is wise! My opinion, of course. :wub:

When piercers only shoot 18, I'd rather just take musicians and charge. Although cheap, I never seem to get my money out of them. I haven't seen any archers (grunts) besides the elves that really inflict a lot of damage when I build around the shieldmaidens and warriors. I've only ever played in one game where I was beaten by archers and it was an elf army with 7 archers, Nirodel, and Lysette. It was a timed bounty point game and he won by killing all the piercers, halberds, swiftaxes and kara. My Warriors and Shield maidens killed his small melee force but the low dv guys of mine got picked of like flies. If the game had been unlimited time I would have eventually cornered him and won.

Piercers don't usually reach other archers, mages or clerics before they are gunned down and one shot at a 3 rav at a grunt doesn't payoff the way melee with halberds and support does.

I'm against archers in general, but I am putting together a 1501 elf army with the new warlord, 12 archers and nirodel... with marksman, scrye shot and a 36 inch volley with a 5" inch radius ad 28 shot a turn they might be pretty good.

No solos.... Hmmm.... The darkspawn have so many options it's hard to pass them up, but here goes!

Troop 1 = 705

Witch Queen + GME(45) + IP(20) + DF(10): 223

-Spells: Firestormx2(150) + Lightning Bolt(50) + Dispel(10) + Bolt(20): 230

Warriors x 3: 60

Broken Fodder x 8: 192

Troop 2 = 609

Guros + GME(45) + GMA(30): 207

-Spells: Scarex3(30) + LifeTransfer(20): 50

Incubus Warriors x 8: 352

Troop 3 = 339

Vysa: 27

Isiri Archers x 6: 252

Troop 4= 339

Vysa: 27

Isiri Archers x 6: 252

Total Cost = 1992

Total Models = 41

12 Isiri archers are scary. I definitely don't want to give the Darkspawn early Pain Tokens. Those are a booger to get rid of!! :wacko:

I'm trying to decide if I want to Delay your two archer units or your two shieldmaiden units.

Either way, I will delay two and then charge in and hit you hard enough to make sure that you cannot recover. That's the plan anyway. :shrug: