wildbill

2,000 Point Armies

I'm trying to decide if I want to Delay your two archer units or your two shieldmaiden units.

I would think that the obvious answer would be to delay the shieldmaidens and kill the undefended piercers. What would be gained the other way around? It's going to take a while to kill the shieldmaidens in any case, no?

Rich

I'm trying to decide if I want to Delay your two archer units or your two shieldmaiden units.

OOOooooohh, yep, completely forgot about the wind people. I would have to imagine that as the games get bigger, their delay advantages increase exponentially.

I was just building a wind people list. I didnt realize just how limited their roster sublist is.

I think I made a quality list with 27 models that would be able to take on enemies with 35-45 models due to their delay abilities. But, truthfully, not sure it could take on 45-55+ models.

Cause just for example, say in a perfect situation, I am able to delay the 25+ most dangerous models. Leaving 25 weaker models. Say, I am able to get across the board and get a great killing percentage of say 75% and only losing say 25% of my force doing it.

That would still leave me facing roughly 30 models (the more dangerous ones) with only 21-22 of mine remaining.

Not saying impossible, just saying that I think the cutoff point for the affectiveness of the wind people is somewhere in the 150-160% of my force in terms of just straight quantity.

If you leave the piercers on the table, you *may* not go first and cannot use your Ranger move as effectively. If the piercers are off the table, you can run straight out in the open. BUT, your DV is pretty good against crossbows, so I'd like to chance keeping the shooters on the table and steamrolling them.

If you leave the piercers on the table, you *may* not go first and cannot use your Ranger move as effectively. If the piercers are off the table, you can run straight out in the open. BUT, your DV is pretty good against crossbows, so I'd like to chance keeping the shooters on the table and steamrolling them.

Since I have never seen the Desert Wind army in action, you'll have to bear with me a second. Does that take effect before or after I deploy? If before, then I could care less. I'll just deploy further towards my table edge and make you travel that much further. Essentially, denying you any attacks at all on the first turn. Second turn the rest of my force appears and I kick your butt. :lol:

But, if it is after deployment, that is a little different. However, while my two shieldmaiden units are gone, I am not defenseless. I have 10 piercers, 8 swiftaxes, Herryk, Fulumbar, Gargram, Durgram, 9 Warriors, and Ivar still standing around. That's still 32 models remaining. You better not miss, because when my remaining 20 get on the board, they'll be ticked. :devil:

Wild Bill :blues:

THey never get deployed. ;)

I cannot target a unit if there is a tactician in the unit, so you may want to shift "must have" troops to your general's unit.

I deploy as far forward as possibly, Ranger move another foot and then start the first turn. You do not get cards for the two units off board. You likely can deploy far enough to keep me hitting you on turn one, but you give up the entire table to me. If there is a scenario, what then? Rcrosby is running a king of the hill game. Do you want to sit back 38+ inches from me and surrender the hill? not likely.

Another fun trick with the Wind is to take Felling of the Firstborn. The trick is in the timing.

Another fun trick with the Wind is to take Felling of the Firstborn. The trick is in the timing.

Which will absolutely trash your mob based armies that go for the initiative card flood. You know the army: Sgt + 3-4 grunts. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

It's also great for "shock" value when your opponent spreads out his elven archers or whatever and you kill his leader and then charge his out of coherency troopers with your lancers. ;)

It's also great for "shock" value when your opponent spreads out his elven archers or whatever and you kill his leader and then charge his out of coherency troopers with your lancers. ;)

What kind of crap army are you running where you need "shock" against elven archers??? ::P:

Rich

Since I have never seen the Desert Wind army in action, you'll have to bear with me a second. Does that take effect before or after I deploy? If before, then I could care less. I'll just deploy further towards my table edge and make you travel that much further. Essentially, denying you any attacks at all on the first turn. Second turn the rest of my force appears and I kick your butt. :lol:

But, if it is after deployment, that is a little different. However, while my two shieldmaiden units are gone, I am not defenseless. I have 10 piercers, 8 swiftaxes, Herryk, Fulumbar, Gargram, Durgram, 9 Warriors, and Ivar still standing around. That's still 32 models remaining. You better not miss, because when my remaining 20 get on the board, they'll be ticked. :devil:

Wild Bill :blues:

My dwarf no solo armies have faced the desert wind three times and they are definately the easiest army I've faced. All three matches were pretty lopsided wins for the dwarfs. Keys to winning are to deploy on the edge of the table and not move until turn two when your delayed troop comes in. Don't rely on magic and flank the cav as they engage. If at all possible hit them first to negate the lancers first strike.

This army is why I thought up the new SAs for cavalry that were discussed a couple monthes ago. Warlord cav is its biggest flaw in my opinion.

Which will absolutely trash your mob based armies that go for the initiative card flood. You know the army: Sgt + 3-4 grunts. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Not many armies will have that structure - maybe just Bull Orcs? Everyone else uses cheap solos to boost the cards, for example Witch Queen (MD 16!), 4xVysa, 5xSoultender or KhongTo, 4xAudt, Uru, 4xTrolls. That's an awfully expensive spell to just knock down/damage a few sergeants and remove Divine Favor on the more vulnerable warlords.

I tried to think of a slam dunk argument for Felling of the Firstborn, but I haven't been able to come up with one. A max CP of 8 doesn't help. There must be a specific tactical use that Ranz has figured out. Looks great against Bull Orcs, but it seems like a big waste against other factions.

Rich

I put Fatima in the unit that does not contain the lancers. The lancers and hero charge the enemy and get what hits they can and then Fatima targets all leaders, some now have reduced MD and are more likely to suffer wounds and the cav in Fatima's unit go off coop de gracieing or shocking the enemy.

Warwick:

Ok, I understand that Tharian has some pretty beefy melee stats for a mage, but if you aren't going to give him ANY spells, wouldn't you be better off with a different elite? Or maybe just another crimson and an upgrade to a leader?

It just seems to me you're paying for the ability to cast spells, so if you don't cast any, those are wasted points.

-Krztoff

Darn it, Wildbill, I have work to do. Now I have to post this silly army just because you put the horrible idea in my head. It turns out I was almost spot on in my last post even though I didn't have point values or a calculator. Go me.

Judas + Divine Favor

Sir Osric

Naomi

9 Crimson Knighs + Musician

Briairkiss

Tharian

9 Crimson Knights + Musician

Sir Athak

5 Chattel

4 Wraiths

Eikar, Bat Lord

8 Crypt Bats

2000 points, 43 models. Not that many, I guess. Sounds like these 2 armies need to meet.

I put Fatima in the unit that does not contain the lancers. The lancers and hero charge the enemy and get what hits they can and then Fatima targets all leaders, some now have reduced MD and are more likely to suffer wounds and the cav in Fatima's unit go off coop de gracieing or shocking the enemy.

Interesting. I would have thought the opposite: Use Felling of the Firstborn to knock the leaders down a track, finish them off with archers, coup them and then shock the grunts with lancers to maximize first strike. The main quandary is that if this is done on turn 1 (and also probably turn 2), then delayed leaders will be immune, further reducing the effect.

Rich