Sign in to follow this  
Rastl

Shrub/Tree Test

I'm working on a new idea for making trees and shrubs. And at the same time I made some flock using a coffee grinder and foam. So I decided to see if I could combine the two into inexpensive and useful terrain.

Here's the test along with a (non-Reaper - sorry) mini for scale:

219264331.jpg

Let me know if you think I can get away with using the chunky flock for the foliage.

The foliage is foam ground up in a coffee grinder and colored with acrylic paints. There's four colors of foam in there so it makes a nice 'natural' look.

That looks pretty good...what kind of foam is it? Looks kinda like florists' foam?

I'm not sure I'd use this for competition-quality display foliage, as it looks very chunky, but for tabletop gaming, terrain board color, and general display-case decor I think it looks quite nice. The multicolored "leaves" work well. What kind of skeleton did you use for branches?

It also looks like this would be a good medium for creating topiary and shaped hedges, if you needed such a thing (I have a big project that will eventually need it, if I ever get around to it).

Pink insulating foam. The same stuff used to build rocks and other things.

It isn't meant for anything besides tabletop so I don't really mind the 'chunky' aspect of it.

The skeleton is actually a styrofoam egg with the bottom cut flat. So the foliage just needs to be a thin coating.

I decided to try a few trees. The shrub shape is kind of odd so I don't know if I like it or not. Reaper mini this time.

219322605.jpg

Ahh, just the good ol' pink stuff. Gotcha.

The great thing about using a solid skeleton is that you could get different types of foam and carve good shapes for trees...just a few oblong disks of different sizes could stack into interesting shapes for treetops.

It would take some carving, but I do think topiary will be fun. I'll have to get my hands on some foam and try it...

nifty stuff.

Man, you keep coming up with the best ideas! ::):

If I didn't already have a bunch of trees, I'd definately try this out. Hmmmmmm, maybe a trash pile! :poke:

I used your hot glue idea (from your treasure pile) on my rubble piles, and it worked great, thanks a lot. I'm terrorizing my gaming group tomorrow. Mwhua-hahahaha! :lol:

Later!

I like it Rastl. How durable is it? Does the foam flake off pretty easy or is it something that can handle a bit of transport abuse? I'll have to try some of these. They'll make a nice change from all the darn pine trees.