Sign in to follow this  
rgtriplec

The buzz about Reaper

I don't want my opinion to be confused with those that I was regurgitating from the other boards. Personally I think Reaper does a pretty good job all around. I love the minis for Warlord and the DHL line gets better and better every year. I think the rules for Warlord are pretty good and wouldn’t change much if I could… well I’d add the 25% merc rule and make them all neutral, mercs have no allegiance thus they can not be good or bad in my mind. I’d give cavalry the SAs suggested in an earlier cavalry thread and I’d give all archers at least a MAV of 1. And I make 1 an automatic failure. I love the initiative, spy and tactician aspects, as well as the flexibility actions and having to buy magic items that are single use.

Some may think the factions are “cookie cutter” or “Tolkien knockoffs” but I happen to like Tolkien and without him there probably wouldn’t be a fantasy games genre. As for lack of originality in factions and uniqueness that is still possible. But the Reptus; mercs with sub-factions, the Sisters and living pirates in particular; and the Reven alliance are new twists on old themes. I do agree with the posters on the other boards that a Norse/Viking/Barbarian faction is needed as are some type of Snowy invaders from the North like Cossacks and something with a Mongol or other Asian feel.

I buy a game usually at first to paint the models and then I may start playing after I have several. At least that is the original intent. I have about 100 Brettonian knights for Warhammer and various other members of their army but have never gotten around to playing. They are currently packed in my closet awaiting the day I learn to play.

I personally don’t care that much about fluff, I have my own fluff going in my head as I paint, my Warlord elves are blue… midnight elves not evil drows. My Shieldmaidens and Freya look like they are from the Indian sub-continent and my other dwarfs are going to be snow dwarves. My Bull Orks are various colors from red to rust and grey to green, my ogres are Carolina Blue. None of which fits the fluff. But I will say that the Bret fluff from GW is one of the things that kept me buying their knights even after I found others I liked better for my painting collection. So, I don’t care if Reaper ever makes a novel.

I would like to see portions of the DHL line implemented into Warlord. This could also fill what the posters on the other boards felt was a void in the game. There are plenty of barbarians and Asian types in the DHL line. The stats and fluff could be included in the upcoming popcorn books . I know that would mean that a lot of people would not have to buy minis to play the new characters because they would already have them in their role playing collection. But it would be a good gesture to those who have bought the figs and the players who would be willing to buy them if they could play them in another game. GW offers all the rules, warband builds, stats, errata, scenarios etcetera as a free download for Mordheim. This is the same type thing.

I do agree with the posters on the other boards that a Norse/Viking/Barbarian faction is needed as are some type of Snowy invaders from the North like Cossacks and something with a Mongol or other Asian feel.

Heck yes. :)

And how would adding a knock off Northern Barbarian/Viking, or mounted asian steppe group be different from any other game then? Adding those to be like everyone else seems a little contradictory to the whole "let's be different" concept.

Let's look at things concretely. The whole "lets be different thing" is not Reaper's bag, and won't change. People will either like their models and background, or look for something else. There's no accounting for taste. The undead Pirates from "Pirates of the Carribean" weren't to my liking, but lots of others bought them and play them.

With that in mind, I don't expect Reaper to scrap everything and start over. I'm looking at concrete ways to expand on the game, even if I'm lukewarm about it.

1.The DHL suggestions have been around a while. It takes very little to use the generic stat cards in the back of the book, but people like the attention to detail when a company puts out a free downloadable data card with a pro painted picture on the back of a model in their massive catalog of figures. How much effort is required for Reaper to do this once in a while? Yes, players can proxy a model for one already sculpted, but having some new heroes to throw down with would only keep people happy, and maybe sell more DHL figures.

2. Look at the competition. The Privateer Press people have weekly forum updates for their rules. Reaper could do this once a month, collating all the new rules, data card changes, new special abilities, etc. IN ONE PLACE--with links to the forum questions that go with them. That's how they do it, and taking a page out of their book, or forum, wouldn't kill them. Yes, the hardcore Warlord players already know where to go, but put yourself in the shoes of someone whose never played, and just lurking around here.

needs:

Consolidated errata in ready-to-print format.

Apart from that, I'd say, more models and then more poses for the existing factions.

( Also, if you want new, Freelance, baby. Mix it up. )

Finally, more art. Lots and lots of art.

Just my opinions....

And how would adding a knock off Northern Barbarian/Viking, or mounted asian steppe group be different from any other game then? Adding those to be like everyone else seems a little contradictory to the whole "let's be different" concept.

It's not - the whole "lets be like D&D which is like tolkien which is like something else" is OK.

Therefore, lets see Reaper's take on these, cause they will be awsome :)

Who does mounted asian steppe groups, btw? GW touches on them with their Boyars - but the whole Kislevite army is more polish, really. I have seen mongol influenced goblins though :) I'd definately want more if I can find them.. I've been using a few companies historical figures - but I'd not mind something with a more fantasy flair.

Like Anushka - which is amazing :)

Well Chronopia did the whole Arabic/Indian/Mongol thing the best with their Goblins, Orcs, Ogres, and Trolls of the Blackblood Army. Reaper could do an interesting take on these Eastern influences with some other fantasy races/ideas. Plenty of Asian/Samurai gobbos out there--look at Rackham. Barbarians would have to really shine to compete with the Kev White Celtos sculpts, Rackham, and the old Kev White Chronopia sculpts. It would have to be something original from Reaper with a Northern barbarian archetype. Or at least done better if not original.

I wasn't aware of the Chronopia mongol influenced figures, I'll need to check them out.

I do love the reaper barbarians already and used them as part of my Norse warlord faction :) As a big fan of the barbarian (as well as the viking/Norman/Saxon etc...) I'm always happy to see more. I'd love to see some more expansion of the Anhurians (terrrific fantasy normans)

I think recently the reaper warlord line has been taking in it's own flavor based on Talin's artwork. It has this neat Manga feel to it, without being overly so - so when the figures come out this way, they have their own distinct cartoony style which has really grown on me quite a bit.

I also think Klocke's dwarves for the warlord line has ther own feel too - particularly in that they have knees - and don't look like the bearded christmas trees of other lines.

So while the Warlord races are simple variations on the old fantasy cliches - I think stylistically there is a difference, and I can usually pick up a figure and say "Oh yes, this is a Reaper warlord figure"

One of the things I really like about the DHL line is that there is no real consistancy in style when it comes to sculpts. Some are cartoony - some aren't, some are really dynamically posed - others aren't. Some are really stereotypical (a la wizard with pointy hat, beard and staff) and others are really unique. They have a really great mix, and therefore there is something for everyone.

I think the most appropriate way off adding more is through the merc factions and "bring 25% mercs" rule. IMO it makes little sense for far away kingdoms to commit major military forces to Taltos, when these might better be used to invade a neighbor. Viking mercs, mogonlian mercs etc etc. make much more sense to me.

We already have Sigurd, just give him some drinking buddies and that adds plenty of variety without expanding with another faction. I think pushing for more factions is a bad idea. I don't want reaper overextending its resources on Warlord.

Hence using the DHL line to add more variety. It's not that much work to produce a data card for a model already cast and in the store.

I hardly think that will overextend Reaper.

Mmm. What got me into Warlord was the quality of the models, and the easy elegance of the rules.

The fluff we have so far is nice, but it doesn't captivate the reader the way, say, GW, or Star Wars, etc, does. And that kind of captivation is what gets people really interested, IMO. It's certainly not the models or the rules that keep GW players going.

I've seen all the work you've put into that, and appreciate all the effort, but I was thinking of something like the following: a data card for the Snakeman Champion in the DHL line for the Reptus would surely sell more of that model for Reaper.