Sign in to follow this  
rgtriplec

The buzz about Reaper

If there is to be errata it should be a consolidated download with at least a link to the latest version of the cards.

I think that this is a great suggestion. The exact location should also be mentioned in not-yet-published books. I'd also suggest (though it'd be a huge pain for someone) that all published, but not yet sold books have a sticker inserted saying somethings along the lines of:

"Please see www.reapergames.com/warlord/updates for the latest improvements and clarifications of the rules"

I believe that Reaper's rep is rock solid for minis, and sketchy yet for rules.

If there is to be errata it should be a consolidated download with at least a link to the latest version of the cards.

I think that this is a great suggestion. The exact location should also be mentioned in not-yet-published books. I'd also suggest (though it'd be a huge pain for someone) that all published, but not yet sold books have a sticker inserted saying somethings along the lines of:

"Please see www.reapergames.com/warlord/updates for the latest improvements and clarifications of the rules"

I believe that Reaper's rep is rock solid for minis, and sketchy yet for rules.

Actually the books already say what you are asking in the very back. But it should all be in one place on the website instead of three and some things are missing. Like nowhere is there any mention that the Reven faction abilities have changed and what the new ones are.

I didn't think this thread would get as much viewing as it has. So, I didn't really go into the good things that were being said.

Hardly anyone on the other forums had anything negative to say about the figs and most gave very high praise.

Lower cost was also very appreciated.

Also the rate at which Reaper puts out products seemed to get high marks with most.

Also the rate at which Reaper puts out products seemed to get high marks with most.

That's funny, considering the general mood about production schedules here on these boards. I figured it was bound to come up soon. :unsure:

That's funny, considering the general mood about production schedules here on these boards. I figured it was bound to come up soon. :unsure:

Reaper fans are quite spoiled getting two monthly releases and actually seeing those releases happen twice a month. There is even variety in the releases. The only company that comes close is GW and for those releases will be fore what ever are the two factions up for marketing and that will go on for several months. PP routinely pushes their releases out although they do a nice job of providing releases for several factions. Still it can be quite frustrating waiting for them to get their production act in gear. Reaper has the model release part of this down to a science. At least from the customer's perspective ::D:

'Just picked up another big Reaper Warlord order from my FLGS.

Miniatures really are good.

Miniatures are competitively priced.

We all agree on that.

Fluff--matters of taste, no accounting for that.

Rules--it seems whether you love'em or are luke warm about'em, the consensus from all these pages still points to a better, collated, annotated, syncopated, annunciated RULES SECTION!! ALL IN ONE PLACE!!

Containing:

The Data Cards

The FAQ

The New SA's--put a disclaimer sayin' they ain't official 'til Reaper says so!!

Either quick start rules, or heck, the whole rules section!!

I have outlined the major complaints (whining, really) that I can think of, and I'm still buying Warlord!! Great new models at an insane release pace compared to others. Having streamlined web support would be the one thing I can see Reaper changing that makes everyone happy; 'cept themselves of course, as that means a lot of work.

Thanks for great discussion without this turning into a mindless flame war. We can go back and forth all day about matters of taste, but the concrete application of rules support would do much to help all of us.

"The concrete saves. The abstract kills." --Sylvia Plath

Thought I would throw in my two cents.

The Bad:

I hate the sluggish releases on faction books. Partially because I want fluff on my factions, 3 paragraphs about lupines just isn't enough to sate my hunger.

Having everything strewn about forums and websites is complicated for new comers. They need to be in a place that DOESN'T require a login. I still have players that cannot get onto WarlordHQ for some reason. Login is not needed for viewing Errata, FAQs, and Data cards.

Setting. Warlord needs some fluff to liven up it's setting. Simple, small stories can really make it a better game. I know there is story behind the game, like when Micheal talked about how the Grey Elves are being hunted to extinction by the Kardulis... that's cool. We need to know this, it makes the game twice as good if I can hand someone a model and tell them a bit of store releted to the game.

The Good:

Production rate of miniatures is awesome.

Cost of miniatures is awesome.

Quality of miniatures is awesome.

Rules are very solid, balanced and always fun to play.

The Ugly:

LOS rules. Because they have changed so many times and personally I think they are still confusing. They need to be standardized and Remain in a single form. No more changes.

Core rule book is outdated. So many new SAs and changing the core lists of some armies have made the core book outdated.

It needs to be updated, and it needs to include the "Default" faction abilities for ALL of the factions. That way no matter what a player buys, they get th abilities in the book. If they want Sub Factions, they have to look into the Faction Books.

The rules that were clarified and errated, need to be updated and all examples need to be in the book.

The new SAs need to be in it.

Other than that... Long live Warlord, a fun game that I love to lose.

Excepting CAV, and the D20 modules that basically never happened, Reaper keeps up a breakneck pace on releases. At their current rate Warlord will be a complete game with all faction books and miniatures in record time for a game of its scope.

Although data cards and fluff have become the kernel of the thread. I'd like to mention implementation of faction books and the core rules not only because these things have been discussed on the forums that sparked the thread but also because this affects me as well . Originally I thought how the core book contained lists for each faction was great. You buy one book study the factions and choose who you want to be... buy into. I did just that with my second army, Reven. I chose them for two reasons the first was the variety of races. The second was I liked the faction abilities. To me warcry was the dealmaker and I had tactics planned for enrage before I had my models. Being able to take the most inexpensive solo in the game was also an incentive. I bought a couple hundred dollars in figs, I had gotten a little of everything bulls, goblins, ogres, trolls, beastmen, harpies. I wanted an army that represented the Reven across the board. Then I found out that the two reasons I bought the game no longer applied to my in a winnable game. The faction abilities I liked so much had been stripped away from my build some time before I bought them and my bulls with their goblin cav and harpy air support was not a very playable option. Granted the sublists were well developed but they ruined the list that most beginners think is what they will be playing. I've had to dump another $100 in the bulls and it will take another fifty to make them a 1500 company without proxy. I figure even if the 10 packs are about $30 it will cost me about another $200/300 to build a goblin force.

I am not opposed to changes in a game system's rules, factions or fluff if needed. But... to change the entire dynamic of a faction and literally break it to form a couple cool sublists isn't to my liking at all. Both new sublists could have been created without ruining grand Reven. Maybe if all the errata was in the same place it would make things easier. The actual errata is in one place at Reapergames but the core data card are in another and another set of data card backs with all models even sub faction models is in another and neither set of cards differentiates itself from the other. Although most if not all of the information needed is available it is scattered between two sites and the forums. Everything needs to be in one place, but more than that unnecessary changes should not be made.

In the future I hope that factions are not changed to make sublists. I recently read the thread announcing the Reven change and Reaper even says in the post they made Grand Reven virtually unplayable by creating the sublists.

Hi there,

Id like to know more about where these sublists have been implemented. I as of yet only have the second printing of the core rulebook, any new rules are unknown to me. I personally love the rules, and I would be interested to know if suddenly constructing an army list is different and less diverse. For example this guy said something about Grand Reven, and now not being able to use them. Is this the case for all armies ? I would be upset if new rules took the diversity of the Reven away. Reven are one of my armies (warbands really) and I love having Harpies, Goblins, Orcs, Ogres, Beastmen etc all in a fighting company.

Listen up reaper, some customer opinion here (I have 6 2000 point armies). The main reason I love warlord is because it is so flexible. I can take pretty much anything for my armies, In my cursaders I have Justicars, Templars, Battle Nuns, I love the Variety.

I Also LOVE the generic data cards. They allow us to create any crazy company, and include any type of monster, dragon etc and the game stays nice and balanced, as when we play with generics everyone is using the same stats.

Other things I love about Warlord.

Fluff is light. Hey lets face games are about gaming, and I think that when fluff gets too heavy it impedes the imagination a bit. Sometimes its best to leave alot to the imagination.

There are finally some good guys in Miniature gaming! I love the crusaders and good elves. One of the big reasons I stopped playing GW games is everything just got way too dark. Hey don;t get me wrong, I love dark, bvut everything was dark. There were no good guys. Light someone says in Warlord its nice to know there are Heros who dare to stand up for good in the land. Old fashioned style. Its nice to know not everyone is a dark bastard.

Finally, where can I get a PDF or very printer friendy of the Data Cards ? I have a login on the warlord site, but those data cards arent the most printer friendly as they are not graphic files so they change when I copy and paste.

Keep up the great work Reaper, and please don't emulate everyone else. Keep your good guys, keep your flexibility.

Christof.

You can still take grand Reven with all the models but you no lnger get Warcry and Enrage as your faction ability. You get +2 mob to your leaders and bonuses on dicipline rolls when you are engaging a horrid model on a charge or with more than one model. Warcry, Enrage and river trolls were given to the Bull Ork Sublist. The goblin list has the same abilities as the Grand Reven except their mob is +five and goblins do not need to purchase leaders, you can designate any model in a troop the sgt and gobo's do not need to ever have a captain or warlord.

Finally, where can I get a PDF or very printer friendy of the Data Cards ? I have a login on the warlord site, but those data cards arent the most printer friendly as they are not graphic files so they change when I copy and paste.

Pinned thread top of the rules forum, as well as the reference library thread. Not sure how up to date it is...

Solid discussion.

I'm with the more fluff side of things. Knowing the Overlords beat up the high elves makes them that much badder!! Tabletop games that have detailed history make you feel like part of an ongoing story, much like a role-playing game. It still leaves plenty to the imagination. I'll pick up the Overlords faction book as I'm interested in them and then see if Reaper is giving me enough backstory.

As for high fantasy vs. dark. I prefer dark, but Reaper has thrown in with the good/neutral/evil thing. I've found my way to stomach this is simply to play the bad guys. All bad guys.

Releases. Talk to anyone that's ever been in the gaming industry. There will always be people wanting product in the form of instant gratification. Reaper has new Warlord models coming out very quickly. The faction books are on a release schedule, and will probably change the game by the time they are all done. Compared to many companies in the industry, Reaper is not slow with the models, which is really the meat and potatoes of the matter. Having the new SA's online would allow people to play the new cool models and pick up the faction book later. I'm wondering if their faction books are selling enough to continue them, or just make them as downloads. Time will tell.

It still feels like the game is in it's development stage. Maybe in a few years they'll compile everything into one book, like Chronopia, with all the rules and army lists, and fluff included.

I bet even Reaper doesn't know where the game is headed.

Did they see people clamoring for a Lupine sublist when they released the first printing? Probably not.

I'm hoping that all this discussion has at least given them some food for thought regarding rules and web support. That seems like the one thing we all agree on.

Tell me my Dark Dwarf captain will be out in time for my birthday!!!

You can still take grand Reven with all the models but you no lnger get Warcry and Enrage as your faction ability. You get +2 mob to your leaders and bonuses on dicipline rolls when you are engaging a horrid model on a charge or with more than one model. Warcry, Enrage and river trolls were given to the Bull Ork Sublist. The goblin list has the same abilities as the Grand Reven except their mob is +five and goblins do not need to purchase leaders, you can designate any model in a troop the sgt and gobo's do not need to ever have a captain or warlord.

Where do I find these lists ?

C

You can find these sublists in the Reven faction book.

Is the faction information online at all ?

Also is there a link to the data cards, preferably PDF ?

I took a look at the faction books but was pretty dissapointed to be honest. Compared to the full colour, high quality art, thick pages and hard cover of the core rule book the faction books are not worth $20. The art was substandard and the paper was pulp quality. Perhaps reaper could consider one hardcover, full colour single factions book, with every army in it. There could be a number of high quality hardcovers from reaper. Better for marketing too with full colour hardcovers, it gets people excited. I know it always reminds me of Dungeons and Dragons books. Seriously though, reaper did a great job, one of the best Ive seen on the core rulebook, but the faction books need aethetic improvement, and high quality materials for their construction.

Thanks

Christof

Solid discussion.

As for high fantasy vs. dark. I prefer dark, but Reaper has thrown in with the good/neutral/evil thing. I've found my way to stomach this is simply to play the bad guys. All bad guys.

"By G'Quon, I can't recall the last time I was in a fight like that! No moral ambiguity. No . . . hopeless battle against ancient and overwhelming forces. They were the 'bad guys,' as you say, and we were the 'good guys.' And they made a very satisfying 'thump' when they hit the floor!"

-- G'Kar

Okay, there may be ancient and overwhelming forces in Taltos - Vengence, but G'Kar pretty much sums up how I feel about playing in dark fantasy games right now. I don't want to play Crusaders, but still want good guys

Warlord has, IMHO, enough diversity in the factions to satisfy everyone's tastes. You have some vary effective bad guys (I really, really want to pound Overlords into the ground. It's just a thing), some truly white hats, and a decent mix of in-betweens.

I will say that I think the Reptus need a few good models, and a special ability to allow their faction to overrule alignment. The Reptus, IMHO, were the old good guys. It is just that they are so old, that good has evolved to mean something else.