Sign in to follow this  
rgtriplec

The buzz about Reaper

Solid discussion.

As for high fantasy vs. dark. I prefer dark, but Reaper has thrown in with the good/neutral/evil thing. I've found my way to stomach this is simply to play the bad guys. All bad guys.

"By G'Quon, I can't recall the last time I was in a fight like that! No moral ambiguity. No . . . hopeless battle against ancient and overwhelming forces. They were the 'bad guys,' as you say, and we were the 'good guys.' And they made a very satisfying 'thump' when they hit the floor!"

-- G'Kar

Okay, there may be ancient and overwhelming forces in Taltos - Vengence, but G'Kar pretty much sums up how I feel about playing in dark fantasy games right now. I don't want to play Crusaders, but still want good guys

Warlord has, IMHO, enough diversity in the factions to satisfy everyone's tastes. You have some vary effective bad guys (I really, really want to pound Overlords into the ground. It's just a thing), some truly white hats, and a decent mix of in-betweens.

I will say that I think the Reptus need a few good models, and a special ability to allow their faction to overrule alignment. The Reptus, IMHO, were the old good guys. It is just that they are so old, that good has evolved to mean something else.

The diversity is improving. There's only so much you can do with a d10 and these mechanics. You pretty much know that the basic grunt will have a MAV of 1, Breakers will have MAV of 3 with lower DEF. As Reaper comes out with more solos, different army rosters/SA's and things unique only to certain armies, the diversity will grow from there.

On the subject of the Generic cards, don't forget that if you go Freelance you can take pretty much anything (except certain faction specials) that has a datacard. Pretty soon generic cards are gonna be close to redundant.

On the subject of the Generic cards, don't forget that if you go Freelance you can take pretty much anything (except certain faction specials) that has a datacard. Pretty soon generic cards are gonna be close to redundant.

Especially with the new proxy rules.