Tomash

New Warlord "Army Packs"

I know this topic has been covered before, but official confirmation has arrived pretty recently and thus I'd like to express my opinion about it.

I generally like the idea of buying all my grunts at once, which for sure saves money, space and time. Having 9 grunts in one pack - great, especially if someone already has leaders and/or heroes (they're so beautiful I have to paint 'em!) or some starter pack and wishing to cross the magical 1,000-points army boundary.

What I don't like about the new army packs is the implementation of this wonderful idea. You see, I've cursed a lot on contents of starters - having 9 grunts of the same type seriously limits tactical possibilities, and having 3 SAME models ain't fun to watch (it took some time, greenstuff and jewelry chains to make my 9 unforgiven unique).

That is, what I'd like to see in army pack is 9 unique models and 3 datacards, one for each 3 of grunt models. So, for example, a Dwarf army pack would consist of 3 warriors, 3 piercers and 3 swiftaxes - I've played with such 9-grunt dwarf troop and they were a lot more fun to play with than 9-grunt-only-unforgiven crusaders troop.

Is there a possibility to see (in near future) some army packs assembled the way described above, i.e. 3 datacards with 3 models for each datacard?

If you go look in Reaper's main website under PREVIEWS you will see te first couple of army pack previews...

You're idea sounds great for the modeler/gamer who wants nine different poses. I'm wondering if any other company has done this and kept their prices in the same league as Reaper.

One thing I'll say about Reaper is that just having three poses for the same grunt is more, or as much variety as many other skirmish games out there. I think these army packs are great for people who play Warlord, or just want to build armies of models. I'll take the savings this gives, and worry about variety later.

I know what your saying Tomash, I threw my hands up in defeat a bit ago, when I thought they were going for 1 sculpt per grunt. Luckily I was wrong they are going to keep up with their varied poses and such.

I also think it's to reaper's advantage to keep some models as simple as possible and glue them on a base, and others to were you can vary them alot. (ie Dwarven Piercers vs Nefsokar Tomb Guards) Variety is the spice of life.

Will us Darkspawn players see resculpts of our Isiri grunts in the army pack?

Only Reaper knows the answer to that, but I'm going to take a guess and say that the resculpting of our grunts isn't going to happen. It's just a hunch, but those were supposed to come out awhile ago and dissapeared from Alliance's list. So my guess is that they spent their time on other things.

Well, Javolith looks better, and I'll pick him up. I'll just finally finish the old ones and rock out now that my friend's giving me painting lessons. Of course, this means stripping them and repriming yet again...sigh.

That is, what I'd like to see in army pack is 9 unique models and 3 datacards, one for each 3 of grunt models. So, for example, a Dwarf army pack would consist of 3 warriors, 3 piercers and 3 swiftaxes - I've played with such 9-grunt dwarf troop and they were a lot more fun to play with than 9-grunt-only-unforgiven crusaders troop.

When I first started Warlord, this was exactly what I wanted as well, and the 3-packs were perfect for it. I could grab a Warlord, a couple elites and 3 types of soldiers, load them up with some equipment, standards, musician, etc, maybe even grab a totem, and I would be all set. After my first few games, I realized this was not at all the right direction to go. The game is more enjoyable (and winnable) with more grunts.

So the odds are, as you play more, you'll realize you need more grunts, and suddenly the availability of these packs will become a blessing. And when you start playing 1000+ point games, you'll almost invariably have at least 3 units, so having the option to field full units of a certain model will give you more options to construct your army lists. For instance if you want archers, since they are adepts, they'll have to all be in the same unit, and you'll want to maximize your use of them, so having 9 or so of them will be real handy when making a list.

If you want to just stick with the smallish games of 500-750 points, then you still have the option of getting the individual blisters to make your flavorfully varied armies. You don't really need the larger packs. It depends a bit on what your opponents like to play as well.

In Rackham's scale, you could easily have multi-part models with the same shield arm, choice of weapon arm, and maybe four different heads to choose from. Sure, they are nice for a varied force, but I don't think it will happen with Reaper--smaller scale, smaller, more difficult pieces to cast, and with all the DHL they have, you can just about find all the variety you need.

If you want to just stick with the smallish games of 500-750 points, then you still have the option of getting the individual blisters to make your flavorfully varied armies.

That's the point - 3-figure blisters are going away and only possible options remaining will be 9-figure army pack or 1-figure blister. I wouldn't rise the matter if 3-fig blisters were here to stay <_<

In Rackham's scale, you could easily have multi-part models with the same shield arm, choice of weapon arm, and maybe four different heads to choose from. Sure, they are nice for a varied force, but I don't think it will happen with Reaper--smaller scale, smaller, more difficult pieces to cast, and with all the DHL they have, you can just about find all the variety you need.

:huh: Rackham and Reaper are pretty much the same scale. And there are plenty of multi-part Reaper minis, there is ample head/shield/weapon variety in Bull Orc Warriors or Dwarf Warriors for instance,. It is often easier to cast multi-part minis than singles. You do have a point in that with the DHL line, the possibility of conversions is pretty open.

If you want to just stick with the smallish games of 500-750 points, then you still have the option of getting the individual blisters to make your flavorfully varied armies.

That's the point - 3-figure blisters are going away and only possible options remaining will be 9-figure army pack or 1-figure blister. I wouldn't rise the matter if 3-fig blisters were here to stay <_<

I should clarify, when I said individual, I meant single pack (1-figure). Each pose of each grunt will eventually be released as a separate release, so you will be able to buy any amount of any pose you want.

I should clarify, when I said individual, I meant single pack (1-figure). Each pose of each grunt will eventually be released as a separate release, so you will be able to buy any amount of any pose you want.

Then maybe you have inside info that we don't. Last I heard, they were only releasing 1 pose of each type of soldier model (the most popular, according to Boneyard sales) in the single-pack style; the others would only be available in the 3-packs (while they still exist), the army packs (when they are out), and as parts orders through the Boneyard.

EDIT: Ed's original post regarding this can be found here.

~v

Reaper and Rackham figures are the same height. And Rackham's are usually thinner. That's actuallty one of the complaints commonly heard, that the small parts are difficult to pin.