Tomash

New Warlord "Army Packs"

As for alternate grunt poses, I could be wrong, but somewhere along the line I got the impression that as the game/model line grows, gaps will be addressed with alternates, re-sculpts, etc.
Alternate poses of all grunts with only 1 pose at present are being worked on as we speak for inclusion with the army packs.

I also understood the three packs would be at the discretion of each retailer to trade in or stock until supplies run out, but in general they would no longer be produced.
Retailers may keep their existing stock or sale, may trade it in to us, or what have you, but they cannot, in fact, order new "3 packs" anymore.

I thought single grunts were the 'popular' sculpt, with alternates in the bulk packs and boneyard. Please correct me if I am wrong.
The "alternate" poses (ie - the one not available as a single grunt in a separate blister) should be available in the boneyard with a 061xx series number.

Vutpakdi beat me to the DHL Army Pack question - but if you look in the gallery there is a DHL Army packs Section, and 3 new 4-packs for that line are being released this month. HERE.

I feel pretty spoiled with three poses for a grunt!! I've bought a lot of three packs, so nine is fine. I think we're used to the OLD prices of models from before tin went so high, so the savings are not as apparent. Reaper's still cheaper than so much out there.

I was pretty concerned about the switch to army packs also. Then I counted my figures... Any grunt/adept I own, I own 9 of except for 3 or 4. I play 4 factions, so 3 or 4 is a small margin.

I think many of you have it right that in the new rules, these sets make a bit more sense. When you first look at it, you won't see it, because of the point increase. Then the flow of new, never before played, army lists starts to flow through your head.

10 archers one army... No Problem.

A Troop of 10 Incubus warriors... No Problem.

These are practical, and FUN ways of playing your armies now. When Reaper said they wanted every single figure to be playable, they meant it. So you won't want to own 9 of only the best adept in your army... You'll want to own 9 of ALL of them.

Then there are pewter holics like me, that already owned 9 because for some reason the 3-6 I use regularly didn't seem like enough...

To sum all that up, just remember that all the models you only own 3 of, are now just as practical to own 9-11 of as your best adept.

I want to say that warlord's rules aren't leaning towards mass grunts or anything close to WHF... If it were, I would be the first person to raise my flag in disgust and spew my opinion all over this board and any other that I can get my hands on :)

...snip...

PS: side note to M. Eversberg II (re Rackham pre painted): only the AT-43 line is pre-painted. The Confrontation minis are not.

They are going to do all of their fantasy figs in Pre Painted Plastic also. I can't find the news story, but it's out there somewhere. I do believe they are keeping their metal line also though.

If you want to just stick with the smallish games of 500-750 points, then you still have the option of getting the individual blisters to make your flavorfully varied armies.

That's the point - 3-figure blisters are going away and only possible options remaining will be 9-figure army pack or 1-figure blister. I wouldn't rise the matter if 3-fig blisters were here to stay <_<

Is that the official word? I didn't hear anything about the 3-figure packs going away. There tends to be a lot of negative speculation when something new is released or announced, and I'd really like to know if this is true in this case.

It would be a bad idea to go that way. Some of us do not play Warlord, but buy the grunts to round out armies in our RPGs or other games. I'm not going to shell out $40 at a time to get more than I need of any one type. If I need some archers, some guys with axes and some guys with swords, I want to know that I can still get the 3-packs to do that.

Anybody? Is this just hot air, or an official stance?

EDIT: I just tried to get up a pack of skeletal archers in the Asylum and could only get the 11 pack, so I guess it's true. I love Reaper, but I have to say this is a PHENOMINALLY BAD MOVE. You just lost half the business I gave you, and I am sure I am not the only person this will affect.

WAKE UP CALL: Actual Warlord players make up a rather small percentage of the people who buy the Warlord stuff, at least in my neck of the woods. I don't know a single Warlord player, and I happen to know there are no games in our area, but I know our local hobby shop sells lots of Warlord to guys like me who want it for other reasons. Honestly, if I have to shell out $40 to get skeletal archers, I simply won't be buying any more skeletal archers.

Nice one.

Is that the official word? I didn't hear anything about the 3-figure packs going away. There tends to be a lot of negative speculation when something new is released or announced, and I'd really like to know if this is true in this case.

yes

Warlord Update.

We are in the process of reorganizing the Warlord model line.

The only packs that will be affected by this reorganization are the faction "grunt" packs.

In a few weeks you will start to see faction grunts as individual blisters in your local FLGS. If your store also has a strong Warlord 'game' presence you will also see new Warlord faction army packs.

These new individual Warlord blisters will contain a single model that is a re-release of the best selling individual model from its "3-model" grunt pack.

The new Warlord faction army packs will now contain as 6-11 models and are priced at a much more favorable per model price than the 3-model packs were.

3-model grunt packs and their stock numbers will be canceled in the future.

The new faction 'army' packs will be using the 006100 stock number series.

The re-released individual 'grunt' packs will stay in the 014000 Warlord number series.

This transition will be over several months.

A complete document about this subject is currently being constructed. This document will be downloadable, printed and circulated through distribution.

Any questions pop me an email or post it here

Thank you!

I also understood the three packs would be at the discretion of each retailer to trade in or stock until supplies run out, but in general they would no longer be produced.
Retailers may keep their existing stock or sale, may trade it in to us, or what have you, but they cannot, in fact, order new "3 packs" anymore.

My ideal situation would be that each grunt pose was available in a single blister, plus the 3 model blister and the 9 model blisters as well. I mean, that's the ideal situation from a players perspective.

From a stocking standpoint, that's a logistical nightmare, maybe not so much for Reaper, but for Distributors and Retailers, so I can understand why Reaper is moving this way.

My one request would be to eventually make the alternate grunt poses available in single model blisters through the retail chain as well.

Will us Darkspawn players see resculpts of our Isiri grunts in the army pack?

Only Reaper knows the answer to that, but I'm going to take a guess and say that the resculpting of our grunts isn't going to happen. It's just a hunch, but those were supposed to come out awhile ago and dissapeared from Alliance's list. So my guess is that they spent their time on other things.

Or - please, Reaper, please! - they decided to hold off releasing them until the army packs.

Same sculpts in the grunt pack. The Darkspawn have always felt like "too many cooks in the kitchen" to get the right look. Granted, between the abominations, (spawn, devourer) slave fodder, and Isiri themselves, you'd expect them to have lots of variety, but I am not crazy about the Isiri themselves. Other armies have a more cohesive look about them. Maybe having one principal sculptor on a particular army do most of the work, and then added to by others after the basic vibe was achieved is why. The Darkspawn are all over the map. Some sculpts are excellent. Others not so much.

I have been accumulating minis for my various Warlord armies for a while now, and the 3-packs were a perfect way to keep on the good side of the budget (and the wife). Also, if I planned out a unit that wasn't divisible by three, I only had to buy one extra pack to cover the difference, ending up with only one or two models I didn't need. And I could still get the full variety of available poses.

A pack of nine figures is way too many for a lot of casual (or poor) gamers. If I want a unit that is significantly smaller than 9 figures I end up paying for a bunch of minis I don't need or buying a bunch of the single-sculpt blisters and having a unit made up entirely of one sculpt. A lot of my gaming purchases are sort of impulse buys along the lines of, "Well, I've got a little money to spare, so I'll pick up a pack of minis for my Crusaders." Bumping the quantity of figures in a pack to 9 puts the price point in a place where I'll just go find something cheaper to buy and ignore the Reaper stuff altogether. I could afford to frop $11-14 on a pack of three minis every once in a while, but blowing $40 at a time just won't happen.

Also, in the FAQ for the new rule changes, the statement is made that the point costs will result in games being played with 2/3 to 3/4 of the models previously used. If this is true, most of my units would be well under 9 figures, meaning that I would have to buy a bunch of models I don't need with every army pack I buy. That doesn't save me any money at all.

I really like Warlord, but Reaper seems to be doing everything in their power to drive me away from the game. I think this is the move that will push me over the edge. Unless I can get all the sculpts in single-figure blisters or Reaper brings back the 3-packs, I'm shelving my Warlord armies for the duration.

Valid points. I bought enough three packs that saving up for another army and getting the nine pack is not terrible for me. As for budget; I'll have to wait longer on some purchases. I don't see Reaper trying to drive people away with these, but I see the game, it's rules, models, and packaging, frustrating some with all the changes.

I know other games companies sell their grunts in unit packs so I don't see it as a radical idea for Reaper to do this. There are very few people playing Warlord around here, so I think they are making the changes to get more gamers, and not just sell Warlord models to people playing D&D or painters. Currently more people are buying Warlord models for those reasons.

It would have been nice to see the three packs remain in the online store, the nine packs go out to brick and mortar stores, and each individual in the boneyard, but Reaper has to run a business and they won't please everyone. They have exemplary customer service, and the game is fun. You'll have to weigh all of your options after the new cards come out, and see if nine packs might even be the way to go. I'm slowing down my pewter addiction as it is. I'm going to sit back, get some armies painted, and slow down the insanity. When the new cards come out I'll decide if Warlord is still fun.

I think the 9 packs will be a good thing. My FLGS only ever gets 1 pack of each mini in. It always sucked having to wait for more packs to come in. It could take 2-3 weeks for me just to get the models I needed. Now I can just buy all 9 grunts at once.

As for the changes to Warlord, the way I see it is: sure the point costs are likely going up, but it was also said that a lot of adepts will become grunts. That means I can take multiple troops of 3 archers, 3 warriors, & 3 spearmen. So having 9 of a grunt seems just fine to me. Besides, if I don't need all 9, I'll:

A) paint some up and sell them on eBay to cover the cost of the ones I'm using

B) bring the extra minis to ReaperCon and trade em for new pewter

C) trade them to other Warlord players for their extras

D) give them out as prizes for Warlord demos/tourneys

I would like to add myself to the list of people that would like to see the 3 packs remain available in the Reaper online store though!

Yeah, as previously posted by some other forum members, I too would like to see 3 packs remain available. I don't expect stores to carry 1, 3 and 9 packs, but it shouldn't be a big deal for the manufacturer to keep some around for us to buy.

So far no-one has shown support to decision of dropping the 3-pack blisters - not to even mention very negative opinions about that move. So, are there any chances of reconsidering this decision?

Reaper is good at listening to its customers. Lets hope so.

Like most of us said, its cool if Reaper only wants to put 1 and 9 packs in stores. But they should really keep the 3 packs around at least for online/mail ordering.

The good news for my local game store is that I ran out last night and bought some three-packs while I could. I intend to go back tomorrow now that I have paycheck firmly in hand.

Finally got the Reptus packs I've coveted for so long. Tomorrow I get more beastmen and skellies (archers). Maybe some Mercs or Crusaders, if I can find some room on a card.