06168 : Harpies (8) $39.99 / ppf $5.00

14216 Harpy $6.99

Savings: 28%

-No 3 pack

06140 : Khamsin Dervishes (9) $39.99 / ppf $4.44*

14344 Jumoke, Khamsin Dervish Warrior $4.49

Savings: 1%

14142 Khamsin Dervishes (3) $13.49 / ppf $ 4.50

Looks like the 3 packs are about the same in cost to the new army packs, with Army Packs winning out by a few pennies everytime.

What it comes down to is Reaper can probably stop themselves from raising prices across the board if they start moving more product. To move more product they have Army Packs. By making us buy a few more figs, they can keep the 'overall' price down and only charge the new premium to their individual figs.

No idea if this is true, just taking a stab at the motivation behind their new approach.

There's another option nobody here has thought of. FLGS's could open army packs and sell figures individually, or in packs of 3. Nobody is stopping them from doing this. Maybe you should as your FLGS if they would do this.

Yeah, the savings over the singly-packed figures is quite large. But the savings over the 3-packs is much smaller. Most of the 3-packs ran around $14, for an average figure cost of $4.66. That would put the savings per figure at around 5%. That's not too amazing, especially when I have to buy such a large group of figures with each purchase.

Actually, the majority of those packs were $13.49... about 3x the price of the new single blisters. They weren't much of a savings at all, just a convenience for the WL player. EDIT: while I was typing this, shakhak made a nice comparison of a number of the packs above.

Honestly, I'm flabbergasted that people are *complaining* about saving money on the new army packs. A number of us have pointed out that Reaper has done almost everything possible to bring their customers what they want within the bounds of good business-sense. You, as the buyer, do have options. You may not like them all, but right now you have 3x the options for purchasing WL soldier minis that you did before; you can buy just the singles (as most RPG players would want to) at your FLGS, you can buy army packs to build your WL army while saving money, and you can get the alternate sculpts from those army packs by ordering directly from Reaper's boneyard. How exactly do you lose in this situation. I'm having a hard time imagining a whole lot of people in Bruunwald's situation: someone who apparently wants Warlord soldier models (as opposed to the leader and elite models), but not in large numbers (as they don't play the game), and where apparently having 2 or 3 of the same model sculpt is a turnoff. It was exactly those 3-packs of the "same model" that turned RPGers off to the WL soldier packs... the vast majority of RPGers want a single character model - "boy, that Hospitaler would make a great mini for my cleric, but I don't want to pay $11.99 for 3 of him!" - so spending for 3 was a waste to them, even if each was slightly different. Better to pick the most popular from each pack and make them available as a single blister. The vast majority of WL players will build full armies, where having a dozen or more of the same type of model is necessary, but some variation in sculpt is desired over having to buy the same single pack again and again. As a bonus, a small savings on the cost per model is really nice too.

But the bottom line is the 3 packs are gone. If you want them and can still find them locally, good for you. Reaper has not, however, taken away your access to any of their models. You do have options; you may not like them all, but they exist. The likelihood that price increases were coming anyway is very strong; the move to singles keeps the WL models affordable for RPGers, and the army packs keep with WL player that needs a dozen models from feeling the pinch of those increases.

~v

You've got a witness. Compare Reaper's prices to smaller companies out there and then get back to me if you think you're paying too much. I love Kev White's sculpts and Hasslefree miniatures, but they are definitely pricier than Reapers. I like supporting the small companies and will continue to do so, as I buy from anyone if I like the sculpts, but having bought from more companies than I care to admit, I still find Reaper less expensive. Now look at Games Workshop (the 800 pound gorilla of the models/game world) and look at their prices. Fifteen bucks for a hero!!

I have been a constant nag from the balcony (like Statler and Waldorf) regarding Warlord and it's mechanics and models. I've never complained about the price however. The unit packs are the way to go if they want Warlord to take off as a game.

Honestly, I'm flabbergasted that people are *complaining*...<snip>

<chuckle> I'm not. People naturally don' t like change, and will often complain about it as a means of coping with it. I know I'm guilty of this on some issues.

My only complaint would be that it's easier for me to drop $13.49 on a 3 pack of grunts once every week than it is to save it and buy one 9 pack every three weeks. But the problem there isn't Reaper's doing - the problem there is my ability to manage my spending along with the size of my shelf of shame. End result is that fewer multi-packs will end up on the shelf of shame in exchange for more single packs.

'Spoken like a true miniatures ho, bro. I'm reining in my spending for a while too. The models'll be there; finish some first, then reward yourself with more. I've got enough on my plate already. Any new purchases are cash and carry only. I'm swamped in models AND debt. We've all got to grow up sometime.

We've all got to grow up sometime.

We do??? Crap. :angry:

I personally like the new larger packs. I just hope I will have money sometime soon to get the Isiri grunt pack.

I can understand this perspective. Having to shell out more at one time can be an inconvenience, but as long as you can budget yourself, in the end you won't be spending any more to build a WL army than before. And at one time, I think the complaint that "I'd rather buy 3 3-packs of different model types than one army pack for balance" would have been valid for Warlord players as well. But with the changes to datacards coming, I think that model selection for armies will be de-emphasized. There will be less of the Model A:Model B:Model C ratios that we've seen in the past (i.e. 2 warriors:1 reach:1 breaker), so that things like a pack of 8 harpies or 6 longstrikers (which might've been a suicidal build under the old datacards) are now far more viable. I still have hopes to see cavalry models like Lion's Lancers and such in multipacks. Even a minor savings combined with the convenience of picking up 3 models at a time would be welcomed.

~v

I still have hopes to see cavalry models like Lion's Lancers and such in multipacks. Even a minor savings combined with the convenience of picking up 3 models at a time would be welcomed.

Nah, I have enough Lion's Lancers for now. I'd rather see packs of Ivy Crown Light Lancers. I'm going to need a few more of these. :lol:

I still have hopes to see cavalry models like Lion's Lancers and such in multipacks. Even a minor savings combined with the convenience of picking up 3 models at a time would be welcomed.

Nah, I have enough Lion's Lancers for now. I'd rather see packs of Ivy Crown Light Lancers. I'm going to need a few more of these. :lol:

I'll toss my two cents in and say I want some multi-packs for the big guys too. Although if it's done, I would like to see it done right, with the models getting an alternate sculpt.

I'd actually like to see this for alot of models. Slap them in a multipack and show us some alternate sculpts. Especially once the revision goes live. The more large bases out there, the happier I'll be.

Hear, hear. The cavalry models in a unit pack would rock, but that may be some time away. Imagine for example two more poses of the Reptus Venom Spitter model sold in a three pack or some configuration offering a savings. I'm sure once the dust settles we can request things like this if they are viable for those building armies and Reaper staying in solid business.

As always, I'll just keep Warlord on the back burner until it sorts itself out. I'm in no rush.

Although, with the current pricing, most of the packs are around $30-40, so that would mean most Cavalry packs would be about a 3-pack. Which, given the size of the blister, 3-4 would be all the horses you could likely fit in.

Yup. I was thinkin' three pack, but again, we'll see when the dust settles. I'd like to see all the models done for each faction, then alternate sculpts for some to give Warlord the variety it deserves.

If the game takes off, then we can see what the future holds.

Warlord is has no presence in Philly. Maybe when all the issues are sorted out we'll see some activity. The unit packs are a step in the right direction.

I can understand this perspective. Having to shell out more at one time can be an inconvenience, but as long as you can budget yourself, in the end you won't be spending any more to build a WL army than before.

Not quite true, because unless I want to buy multiples the same mini over and over, or order directly through Reaper to get variety in my sculpts, I now have to buy packs of 9 minis, even if all I want for my army is a handfull of a given soldier type (Take Bull Orc Berzerkers for example, I can see little reason to ever want to field a unit og 9 of them; perhaps upcoming datacard changes will fix this, but in their current form they arn't even remotely cost effective).

Also, remember that many of you speak from a North American bias, where Reaper is indeed cheaper than much of the competition (I know, having liveds the majority of my life there). Reaper overseas is far far from a bargain, with prices often being very comparable to those of GW. For example, despite the Australian dollar being 75-80% that of the US dollar consistently, we here in Australia are paying close to double the US price on Australian dollars ($27AUS, or roughly $22US for a 3-pack of soldier models). This means these 9 packs are likely to be considerably more costly for those of us overseas. For the price of what Reaper is offering I can just as easily field models produced by any number of other companies. 9-packs are a large ask for any retailer to invest in and carry in their shop as compared to the 3-packs, and I can almost assure Reaper that local hobby stores in Australia will not stock this size blister. These packs will do well sold online, and will do well in shops where Warlord is already well established, beyond that I believe they will be a failure from a Brick and Mortar retail perspective.

SE: actually, when you factor in AVERAGE exchange rate and 15% GST (and presumably are willing to buy from Military Simulations) we can get Reaper products at about the right price, and I really haven't seen much in the way of cheaper models provided you're talking about metals. Reptus are expensive, but frankly Reptus are huge and many of them are five parts or more.