Sign in to follow this  
Tomash

New Warlord "Army Packs"

Well from some insider knowledge the prices we are paying are because the importers are taking a fair sized mark up . <_< I could save 25% to 30% if I only bought directly from Reaper .

I can get substantially better deals than what Reaper has to offer ordering online, however, this means I never have the option of popping down to the FLGS and picking up a blister or two, it means I have to buy in bulk to keep things cost effective. And now, if I want a litte variety all at once, I have to buy in serious bulk. Oh well, such is life.

Assuming I don't want an army pack or several of the same sculpt, where do I find the product numbers to order a couple of each sculpt? I looked through the regular listings and the Boneyard, but haven't been able to find those products. Am I just out of luck? I've got several units of 4-5 minis I want to order, but I don't want buy twice as many figures as I need by going the Army pack route, and 4-5 minis is too much to go with the single-packed blisters if I want to have any variety at all.

I was talking about this with Pete last night after our D&D session, and I had one of those odd little thoughts pop into my head, that sometimes, makes a little sense. I know, it happens on occasions :poke:

We have Army packs for Grunts and Adepts.

Why not an Army pack for Non-Unique Sarges and Captains? Call them Command packs or something.

With the Sgt troop size, on average running around 3-5, that means there's a good chance you might need to have a number of them on the field. Plus toss in a couple Captains if your Faction has them to maintain chain of command. Obviously what is in the blister might differ based on cost of individual models and size.

Examples might be:

Crusader Command Pack:

Sir Brannor x1

Sir Broderick x1

Lord Ironraven x1

Acacia x2

Sir Conlan x2

Darkspawn Command Pack:

Javoith x3

Vysa x4

Dwarven Command Pack:

Fulumbar x3

Gargram x4

Elven Command Pack:

Selwyn x2

Meridh x5

Necropolis:

Sir Azarphan x1

Lord Gauren x1

Sir Athak x2

Railor x3

And wow, the more Factions I am looking at, there are a LOT of Unq Sgt and Capt...maybe this isn't as good as I thought, unless some of these Unq ones become non-Unique in certain lists.

Nefsokar:

Nakhti x2

Chosen x5

Overlords:

Andras x2

Corvus x5

Razig:

Mister Blood x2

Grim Pete x5

Reptus:

Chai-Uut x2

Audt x5

Reven Command Pack:

Narg x1

Kakurgh x1

Kharg x2

Urga x1

Neek x1

Gakalath x2

Heh, I was thinking initially about my 2 primary Factions, Reven and Crusaders, which this idea works for. In retrospect, looks like they are one of the few factions this works for, unless you start adding in some Unique Leaders that are commonly used given how many Factions only have 1 Capt and 1 Sgt that are not Unique (at least on the default Data Card).

I was also avoiding Cavalry models, since those would like be an issue with packaging due to size.

Now, going back and checking those lists for Unique changes:

New Nefsokar Command Pack:

Nakhti x2

Chosen x2

Tariq x2

Mi-Sher x2

New Overlords Command Pack

Andras x2

Corvus x2

Lorena x1

Merack x2

Maybe when we start seeing the sublists for the other Factions, some of the other Command Packs might change too <shrug>

Okay, time to stop thinking outloud :lol:

Another idea for "Command" packs would be to add a standard bearer and musician instead of all those . What Dwarf player wouldn't want more musicians ? :devil:

Command Pack:

Warlord

1 Captain

1 Sgt

Standard Bearer

Musician

Good start for any army now that some Army Packs can make up to 2 separate units.

I don't really like the idea of command packs. You never need more than one of any leader, and with all different stats there is no reason to include them in the same blister.

I was thinking about the distaste of the Army Packs and there is one thing that I think would make all of us feel better.

Include a Musician and Standard in the Army Pack of the appropriate grunt type.(if it's not a beast)

Also include MORE sculpts. For 11 packs I want to see 5. For 9 packs show me 4.

Those two things would make the packs a great purchase in my eyes.

I guess I'm in the minority by feeling spoiled with three poses. I am in total agreement that having a standard bearer and musician in the unit pack would round it all out. That would ostensibly give you three of each pose grunt and two others for these guys. Warlord is the only wargame I've seen that hasn't marketed their grunt units with some kind of leader/musician/standard bearer. That's the norm across multiple game lines.

I always thought that Reaper only having 2 or 3 sculpts of their grunts was pretty limiting and against the grain of other games. But I'm not familiar with all table top games.

In my FLGS I see alot of WarHammer, which gives TONS of variety for their grunt type models. I'm no fan of plastic, but I do envy the options a box of WH grunts offers.

We also see alot of Confrontation. This game Does have 2 and 3 packs, but it's also very common for them to release alt. sculpts of the same model in another 3 pack. All of their box sets are full of seperate arms, bodies and heads. I really hate the assembly of these figs but there is something to be said about having a 20 goblins and none of them matching at all.

Many are already asking for alt sculpts of the big guys now that they are Adepts. I think it would do the game wonders to give us two or 3 more sculpt of existing adepts and grunts...

I strongly second that. I posted about Ogre sculpts now that they are Adepts in another thread. I know Reaper has its hands full so I'm not asking when, just if.

I must add , we need more alternative poses for Trolls and Minotaurs . I can proxy some DHL stuff and do with the 2 of the minotaurs but at least one or 2 new sculps would be nice . :poke:

What's worrying me right now is that I haven't seen any big packs in my FLGS. They seem to be stocking the new singles though. Shipping is going to kill me if I actually have to order these online.

Do we really need more scultps for grunts & adepts? We have the entire Dark Heaven line to use. ::):

...snip...

There are alot of times that a grunt or adept has nothing even close to the same look or feel as whats in warlord. Razig's Mariners, River Trolls, the Burrowing Choas Spawn, and Pain Tenders, all come to mind. There are a number of models we luck out on, but overall many groups of grunts/adepts would look too mismatched when mixed with dhl models.

Also, if they're going to make us by 9 or 11 packs of minis to get the alternate sculpts, it would be nice to have as few exact copies as possible. Five copies of the exact same mini is not cool.

What's worrying me right now is that I haven't seen any big packs in my FLGS. They seem to be stocking the new singles though. Shipping is going to kill me if I actually have to order these online.

Most FLGS would be happy to special order the packs for you. The online places that I frequent either have free shipping after a certain point or flat rate shipping.

Ron

We also need more poses for the Harpies . An army pack of 8 of the same sculp just doesn't interest me even though its a nice figure . <_<

Variety is the spice of life . :lol: