AOE/3

Outkast Samurai

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree as I pointed out in the data card thread the Sovereign III is not much better on IFM than a attack CAV with IFM. I would like to see the return of a larger AOE even if it means more point cost for the model.

You also probably shouldn't be comparing these new rules to the 1.5 rules. They were written by two completely different groups of people and I beleive that 1 had a lot more effect on the current rules than 1.5 did.

The Sovereign III has a 2" AOE b/c that's what it's always had in the official rules. It sacrificed AOE for a longer range and had a better TL number which ensured it hit more often. In 2, it has both higher TC and FRS values, so it will hit mor often and doesn't drift quite as far when it misses (although that's ofset by the smaller AoE). Its also extremely inexpensive, which means it can be squeezed into an army that has extra points to spend.

It serves a purpose though, which is to give you a different option for Fire Support models, instead of more of the same TC 2, Rng (40), AoE/4 models.

That's pretty darn improbable. For this to happen with AOE/3 I need to be firing at something EXACTLY 12 inches away, and then the drift roll needs to indicate a drift of 10 AND be in the EXACT direction of the firing unit. If the enemy unit is just a fraction of an inch further away than 12 inches or the direction of the drift die is even a single degree off it will not hit yourself.

Seriously that borders on the impossible.

That's pretty darn improbable. For this to happen with AOE/3 I need to be firing at something EXACTLY 12 inches away, and then the drift roll needs to indicate a drift of 10 AND be in the EXACT direction of the firing unit. If the enemy unit is just a fraction of an inch further away than 12 inches or the direction of the drift die is even a single degree off it will not hit yourself.

Seriously that borders on the impossible.

You would think... wouldnt you? :devil:

Just wait. This is exactly the kind of thing that seems to happen to me a ridiculous number of times. ::D: It is also just embarrasing.

No seriously. It shouldn't happen. Mathematically it's so rare you can't even put odds on it.

The direction thing is what gives it the poor odds.

Consider this:

How big is the chance of hitting an exact direction if the die can only point in 4 directions? 1/4

Ok let's increase the number of directions to 32. The answer is now 1/32.

See where this is headed?

The point is that the die can point in an infinite number of directions and only one of them is the one pointing directly at your CAV.

You might think it has happened to you but chances are it didn't.

Mathematically speaking this SHOULD NOT HAPPEN!!!!! This is not even 1 in a million or billion or anything like that. It's so friggin improbable that it's not possible to put odds on it. That's saying something. If I were you I'd not worry about it happening.

And when your opponent insists that the die is pointing directly back at your CAV, kindly refer him to this thread and tell him that there is no way he could measure accurately enough to guarantee that it truly is and that in all probability it isn't!

but really all that matters is whether or not the center of model is in the AOE, so it doesn't necessarily have to be pointing directly back at the unit. Of course it's still highly improbable, you just a good source of brownian motion and an improbability generator. Slightly better chance of this happening with an AoE/4 weapon though. (Why do I have a feeling that now that I've said this, my Conquerors will promptly obliterate themselves in their next game?)

That's why Fire Support CAVs have FRS. Drift is reduced to 8" at the very most, which means even a 4" AOE won't hit.

Also, technically, a target exactly 12" away from the attacking model is in the No Fire Zone, it has to be beyond 12" to be in the Short Range Band. This means that even with 10" of drift directly back at the attacking model, and a 2" AOE, it could never happen. The AOE would fall 0.01" short.

Obviously you have never seen me roll dice..... ^_^

My point exactly. :upside:

Anyway...

And when your opponent insists that the die is pointing directly back at your CAV, kindly refer him to this thread and tell him that there is no way he could measure accurately enough to guarantee that it truly is and that in all probability it isn't!

Thread saved for future reference. :B):