Miniature Cases

Duliniel

Don't know if I'm putting this in the right forum or not, but since it concerns keeping our painted minis protected...

What kind of cases are you using? What do you like best about it? What do you like least about it?

I have lots of mini cases — from the large Games Workshop case, to the large and small Battlehive cases, to a couple of pistol cases refitted with foam. All of these come up short for some reason or another and I'm still looking for the ultimate case.

My idea of the perfect case would have:

1. Different configurations of foam inserts

2. 250+ capacity

3. Sturdy, hardshell construction

4. Reasonably priced

5. Locks

6. Wheels

7. Compartment for rulebooks, etc.

What would be your idea of the perfect case?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a big fan of the Chessex cases myself. They're sized perfectly for storing on bookcases, drawers, etc, and they come in three different foam configurations. No, they won't hold 250+ figures, but combine several of them with a salesmen's sample case (I used to have one that held five of the large Chessex boxes, plus books, dice, etc) and you have a nice "modular" system that is good both for transport, and for storage.

I use the smaller Chessex ones to hold my PCs, and combine that with a backpack for my RPG books.

Chessex are good cases i have a couple. . .but for large armies/lots of minis there are two ways to go.

one is through the people who do army transport they have large cases that hold tons of minis but there not hard shelled.

the other option is to go and get a nice hard shell rifle case. . . .with the added benefit of people looking at you funny when you are taking them on trips :lol: .

"um, why does he need so many rifles? :devil: "

I have an Army Transport, several Chessex hard cases and the Reaper soft case. Call me brand loyal, but I like the Reaper soft case the best. The Army Transport will hold more figs, but I have to wrestle with each layer to get it out of the case. The Reaper case unzippers around the top AND down the back which makes it extremely easy to get the trays in and out.

Anthony

My personal fav is the Crystal Caste Battlehive. They are just a little smaller than the old Army Transport cases, but rather than being soft they're constructed of a hard plastic. Something about solid construction seems comforting. Anyway, I can keep about 1000 pts of Tau in the smaller one, and I got the Battlehive II for Christmas, which is a little more than twice the size of the original Battlehive. And just like Army Transport, you can buy individual foam trays to customize your boxes.

the other option is to go and get a nice hard shell rifle case. . . .with the added benefit of people looking at you funny when you are taking them on trips laugh.gif .

I've heard some funny stories about trying to get these "transports" through airport security. ESPECIALLY post-9/11. Telling the person behind the counter that you use them for "wargames" doesn't help either...

I just want cases that are reasonably durable, have sufficient capacity, and aren't laden down with kool doood features LIKE pockets for rulebooks, carrying straps, elaborate foldouts, etc. But rather something that is relatively inexpensive, stacks in my closet (for storage), and will fit my figures. Fozzbozz sold a product that was pretty good (take the boxes PC motherboards come in, fill with foam inserts) and close to what I was looking for. But apparently Fozzbozz is going defunct, and the boxes cutouts were a little too small for most of my figures...

Damon.

the other option is to go and get a nice hard shell rifle case. . . .with the added benefit of people looking at you funny when you are taking them on trips :lol: .

"um, why does he need so many rifles? :devil: "

Actually, the funny looks come from airport security and the TSA when they ask you if you have any firearms to declare and you tell them, "No."

Especially when you say, "Actually, those are swords in that case." :ph34r:

Probably wouldn't be quite the same with minis. But...I wouldn't recommend traveling through the airport with a rifle case full of minis. Because the TSA agents have to open rifle cases, and then they swab through the inside with their nifty explosive-detecting cloth. If your minis have shifted on the way to the airport, this could be bad news for your painted pewter. Especially since once you hand over the case, you can't touch it or its contents until you pick it up at your destination. Rifle cases tend to be larger than carry-on restrictions allow.

For travel, if you want ultra-customizable...the Container store sells the "pluck foam" that's like what you see in the army transport trays, without the hard bottom. You could buy a bunch of that and then trick out whatever hard-shell case you like with it. Like, maybe, one of those poker chip cases that looks like a rifle case, but smaller....

Probably wouldn't be quite the same with minis. But...I wouldn't recommend traveling through the airport with a rifle case full of minis. Because the TSA agents have to open rifle cases, and then they swab through the inside with their nifty explosive-detecting cloth. If your minis have shifted on the way to the airport, this could be bad news for your painted pewter. Especially since once you hand over the case, you can't touch it or its contents until you pick it up at your destination. Rifle cases tend to be larger than carry-on restrictions allow.

I'll second Nissiana's thoughts on air travel with a rifle case. Don't use a rifle case if there is any chance that you will travel by air with your minis in one, because the TSA WILL open it up.

I have to travel on business frequently with some specialized tools/parts for my job, and I've had quite a few things damaged because of careless TSA agents. My bag gets opened about 3 out of every 4 times I fly. They simply won't repack things the way you do, nor will they take care to open things up in a manner so your minis/tools/etc won't come tumbling out. If anything does fall out during their inspections, they'll just toss it back in.

If you are going to fly with your minis, make sure you pack in such a way that not only are your minis are protected, but that if a TSA agent wants to open your bag, they can get easy access to and see your minis without having to dig around in your bags and/or remove anything they might not put back correctly. While I've been lucky and able to get my damages reimbursed by the TSA, but it takes almost six months of claim filing and letter writing to get my reimbursements - and that is only for the items I can produce a receipt for. So in the case of a mini, they might reimburse you for the cost of the mini itself, but not the $100 paintjob you put on it.

I love everything about the Reaper case except for the fact that its only like 6 inches wide ( I am exxagerrating but not much). I have and use a few of them. I love how you can click multiple cases together. I love the zipper down the side so adding and taking out is easy (and that example of the airport, would be easy too)

I just wish it were about 4 inches wider in each direction.

how many figures can you fit in a reaper case?

Every faction is different. I can fit way more crusader types than I can reptus types. But that would be true of any case, as the reptus just take up more space with all of their parts that hang all over the place.

I will see if I can take a few pictures this weekend to give some examples.

I also like that I can get 2", 2 1/2", 3", and 4" deep foam tras to put in my reaper cases.

I own 9 cases from 4 different manufacturers. The largest is a full-sized Battlepack from Charon. In the configuration I have, it holds 1 large and 1 small "vehicle clamp" for larger and odd-shaped figures, 8 GW-style figure trays, and 1 heavy cavalry tray. It is hard-edged, but soft-sided. It is a beast, and I use it only for figure storage at home. My 2nd smallest case is also from Charon; it is a soft zippered pouch that holds one standard GW tray of figures. It comes with the Gaming Satchel, which also holds some books and the like nicely. Perfect for taking to a gaming session.

The smallest of my cases is a little hard-shell case from Armory, I think. I've had it forever, and it has seen better days, but I still trust it to protect my figures, especially when I need to ship something already assembled to a commission artist. Nice tough little case.

I have a soft-side Army Transport case that I picked up mostly because a game store was closing and it was 50% off. It is another case that is used primarily for storage. I just don't like the idea of traveling with my minis in anything less than a hard shell case.

Finally, I have 5 GW cases - 4 standard and one of the double-sized cases. The double-size case is by far my favorite case. With the various types of foam trays that I have (standard, light and heavy cavalry, and the "clamps"), I can mix and match in the larger case to my heart's delight. I can carry as many as 3 1000-1500 point armies in it at once, but since my Reptus figures are often odd in shape, they take up more space. I usually only carry enough for 2 armies, plus some extra figures, when carrying my full Reptus army in the large case. If I had to pick only 1 case to use all the time, it would be this case.

Fortunately, I don't have to choose just one. ;)

~v