Optivisor advice

haldir

Hey Optivisor users!!!

thinkin of getting a barebones edition of the Optivisor & then add my own mag lens to it, but wasn't sure which is right for me? I have great vision, I don't wear glasses, see good in the dark & day (thou due to my work schedule more night then day). Magnifiers do help thou when I use them.

So how do I determine what is a good magnification? I paint (or I did) with my hands near my heart with the mini, if that helps any.

thanks

Randy M

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I recall correctly, the "POWER" or magnification (Dioptre) runs on an optivisor from 1 - 10 and pretty much refers to the working distance that you can hold the subject.

So a 3 is good for about 14", a 4 is about 10", a 5 about 8" a 10 about 4"...

I personally use a 4, and I have a 10 as well. But I would suggest either a 4 or a 5 if you work with your hands on your chest. Hopefully you can get to try one out prior to buying it to make sure you're comfortable with it.

Good luck!

I have a 2 and a 10 just because I like to work with minis a little farther away that Jester. Also if I may suggest, depending on your brand you may want to get a stocking hat to put your visor on. My has the habit of ripping out hairs if I don't. But it is very comforatable

thanks guys, the explanation Jester gives says it all. A barebones one is 19.99 at Widget but then the lens runs like 25, thus gonna buy a complete one at my mom & pop shop for 30.00, not sure what they have, I'll have to look at closely.

Anther spot that has it is http://www.modelexpo-online.com/, thou I've gotten stuff from them before, semi ok items but some stuff reminds of fleamarket buys thou. They have it for 20 I think.

thanks,guys

I appreciate it

RM

I thought about that one as well, I don't wear glasses, thou so the Optivisor one was one I first thought about + having it at the local shop + alot of users on here have them.

Still thou it's something to look into

RM

• Artists

The OptiVisor style work fine with glasses also.

Probably the ideal would be to try both before purchase, as I'm guessing some people prefer looking over and some under the magnifying device. If that's not an option, I suspect most people will just adjust themselves to whichever style they first try.

Just to add another option, I use the Daylight Slimline Lamp. I used the OptiVisor but found it irritating and since I am new to painting, the less frustration the better. With the daylight lamp, I don't really worry about blocking any light with my head/hands. It is not portable, though but I don't go anywhere outside my house to paint. :B):

Also if I may suggest, depending on your brand you may want to get a stocking hat to put your visor on. My has the habit of ripping out hairs if I don't. But it is very comforatable

Or you can just shave your head, like I do. :;): My OptiVisor doesn't bother me!