Buying new brushes

Magdalena

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Something I've found useful for CAV minis is a #1 flat shader, especially for the larger panels. Why a #1? It's kinda like Goldilocks and the Three Bears. It's not too big, not too small, but just riiight for most applications on a CAV model, and that size flat shader (at from Loew-Cornell) is as wide as the side of the hex bases.

Before I got my airbrush I used a #4 flat shader to basecoat my CAVs.

I will 2nd that, I had a series 7 that lasted me for 11 years. It was never used for mini painting though, just my paintings on board, but with cleaning and care it lasted me along time.

Yeah, painting minis whoops a brush's butt. Painting all those surfaces at weird angles and especially dry brushing are brutal on a brush.

If the tips are curling, then they're not natural bristles.

Hmm. I thought I'd had some natural bristle brushes curl up on me, but perhaps those were synthetic blends. I'm going to have to make a trip to ArtMedia on my lunch break and see what is the smallest size of W&N Series 7 they have in stock. ::):

Hmm. I thought I'd had some natural bristle brushes curl up on me, but perhaps those were synthetic blends. I'm going to have to make a trip to ArtMedia on my lunch break and see what is the smallest size of W&N Series 7 they have in stock. ::):

You might not want the smallest sizes: the #0 has a very fine point, and that may work just fine for your details and be more flexible than the #000 (which is really, really small). Even the #1 and #2 have very good points.

Ron

You might not want the smallest sizes: the #0 has a very fine point, and that may work just fine for your details and be more flexible than the #000 (which is really, really small). Even the #1 and #2 have very good points.

Ron

It was a disappointing trip. Turns out they don't carry Series 7!! Depressingly, almost all of their W&N brushes are synthetics or blends. :angry:

Maybe I'll have to check out Dick Blick myself.

Trying to find a store that stocks the Series 7 is going to be tough. They're a narrow-focus, high-dollar item that most places aren't willing to stock all the time.

Mr. Rastl bought me some for Christmas but didn't buy them online like my list indicated. The ones that the store did have were so abused that they wouldn't hold a point. Back they went. Not to mention this store just tosses the bristle protectors and didn't understand why this might upset me.

I ordered mine from Dick Blick and love them. The points are amazing. And they came in really cool holders!

The other thing about buying them from an art store is that you are going to be paying full retail, and potentially additional mark-up, since it's a specialty item. For a single series 7, that may be as much as almost $20.

I've been very happy with my online purchases. There is an art store in Boston down by Fenway that recently was taken over by Dick Blick, so I may swing over there, because then I can support a Brick and Mortar.

For those of you in the area, it's the big REI/Best Buy building by the Fenway stop on the Green Line. Go around the corner by Coldstone Creamery (get an Ice cream) and then hit the store. ^_^.

I was there before it became official Dick Blick, and it was very nice. Helpful staff. Good selection. Haven't been over in about a year though.

I've never used one of those bamboo roll-up carriers. I'd be afraid it would bend the tips if you don't use the plastic protectors.

I have a brush box from ArtMedia. It has foam with slots to lay the brushes in. It fits in a backpack or messenger bag nicely and holds about 20 brushes. I think it cost around $15.00.

I'd post a link but apparently they don't have a website.

ArtBin makes one as well.

I was thinkin of getting one of these for my brushes

Bamboo roll up

You'll look totally pro with one of these. Painters have been using them forever. I had one in art school, and it protected my brushes very well. You can find the ones used to make sushi for about 5 bucks, rather than the $25 models sold in art stores.

I don't use a bamboo one, but I do use a roll up brush holder I got from one of the brush companies as a freebie. It holds all my brushes pretty well. I never had a problem with any of them getting smashed or anything. Brush holder mine is very similar to that one, except it dosen't stand up.