Sign in to follow this  
gwangi32

Unspeakable Journeys

"Not really," Toth replies. "I am not that familliar with this area, and I was hoping that one of you could suggest a suitable eatery."

"There's a small Italian place not too far from here that has some of the best food you're going to find around here," Ray says. "The atmosphere is quiet enough to continue this conversation as well."

There will be some things to get before you depart. I have all of your characters as having some sort of home in Kansas City or nearby. If you would prefer elsewhere let me know by pm.

You step out into the brisk February weather and walk to Mia's Italiano. It's warm and inviting inside. You sip at thick Italian coffee and wait for your orders to arrive. The coffee is superb and if the smells are an indicator the food will be as well. You've moved beyond subjectless small talk and into a vaguely comfortable silence.

Now would be the time to share any tidbits. I plan to transition all the way to Bedford Falls once I have some idea of the gear you wish to take with you. I will assume a normal travel package with clothes for two days, stuff for hygiene and some tools of the trade. Specify on anything else. Right now your budget is $50, let me know how much more you intend to take.

"Cub scouts and little league, huh? You must've risen in the ranks a bit, now that Kolchak has got you covering missing persons, eh," Toth says with a smile.

"Ok, forget the war. What I meant to ask ws how familliar are either of you with a firearm? It's been my experience that there is usually gunplay involved with mysterious disappearences."

"Well I know that science and guns don't usually mix but I do how to shoot. Toth is right, when the mysterious starts getting involved its a good thing to be able to defend yourself."

"Who says there's anything mysterious?" injects Sherman before the other is quite done speaking. "This is a missing-person case, nothing more. Just because the guy's home town is freaked out doesn't mean we have to be."

"Who says it's mysterious?" Ray asks swirling the last bit og coffee in his cup. "The fact that Arthur is involved says it's mysterious." He sighs and leans back in his chair. "I guess a little more background might be useful here. Now mind you this could be perfectly normal but I wouldn't hold my breath on it. Everyone likes nice simple explanations for how the world works, it helps us sleep at night, but some people, Arthur for one, don't like to take the easy way out. They like to dig. They like to ask the questions that other people avoid like the plague." Ray glances about to make sure their conversation hasn't drawn any extra listeners. "You might not believe this, heck I'm not always sure I do, but there are things out there that can't be explained by fact or science. Those are the kind of things that Arthur tried to find the answers to, and that's not always a healthy line of questions to be asking." Ray drifts into silence looking at his companions reactions.

Your meals arrive and they are quite wonderful. And yet it seems that there is a man and a woman at a table nearby who might be listening to your conversation.

Toth notices the people notice them. "I don't think they are being very polite," he says quietly to his dining companions. "Keep you eyes open."

He gets up and approaches the table of the eavesdropping couple. "Hi folks," he says, his manner outwardly friendly. "Can't help but notice you were kinda staring at us, and I thought 'Gee, those folks look familiar', so I wandered over here to ask you if we've met before. I'm Jimmy, by the way."

Ray snaps out of the fog he's in and watches Toth wander over toward the other table. 'Arthur I hope you're ok because I'm going to have to smack you for this when we find you.' he thinks.