Sign in to follow this  
gwangi32

Unspeakable Journeys

Toth notices the people notice them. "I don't think they are being very polite," he says quietly to his dining companions. "Keep you eyes open."

He gets up and approaches the table of the eavesdropping couple. "Hi folks," he says, his manner outwardly friendly. "Can't help but notice you were kinda staring at us, and I thought 'Gee, those folks look familiar', so I wandered over here to ask you if we've met before. I'm Jimmy, by the way."

"I don't think your name is Jimmy," says a man that you recognize. He is a local detective for the District Attorney. The woman is not known to you but they both seem to be having a professional lunch. "We were eating and I recognized you and that writer fella. Seen you both around. This is my sister Irene and you may not remember my name but it's Paul." He stands up to shake hands and says, "I appologize but some insticts are hard to turn off."

Irene smiles at you and says, "We didn't mean to be impolite but you did drop some fascinating hints and it was irresistable." Her smile is radiant and disarming.

"Paul, Paul,......" Toth mutters to himself after he shakes the man's hand. "Oh yeah. You work for the DA, right? I'' be damned if I can remember where we've met before, though. Mind refreshing my memory?"

"Last year there was a manhunt for a gang of bankrobbers. We were on the same group running from here on down south. We didn't catch the robbers but we did catch some cattle thieves. We did interviews for weeks, there were lot's of people, but I'm pretty good with faces."

I am sorry that this plot twist is taking awhile but we have a forth player and I would like to get him in at the start. This couple may be the hook. They are not much of a threat.

"Sorry to have distrurbed you," says Irene and Paul seconds the statement.

"Quite all right. I do remember that, and I also seem to remember that it was you who caught the cattle thieves. That was good work." With that, he bids them to have a good meal and returns to his table.

"Sorry, guys, false alarm," he says to Ray and Sherman.

"Well that's quite a relief," Ray says relaxing. "Either way I think we should keep open minds while investigating this one. It may not be as cut and dried as we'd all like to think"

"Open minds always help with any investigation, although it has been my experience that the first impression is usually the correct one. For example, if a man is murdered, and he had been having an affair with his secretary, his wife should be considered as the prime suspect until another solution presents itself," Toth replies.

He takes another drink of wine, and a light goes on in his eyes. "That reminds me. Is Mr. Cornthwaite married?"

OK there will be a new character soon. Sorry for the delay my parents came to visit on short notice.

You finish the meal and the small talk and move on to your separate abodes. Packing up your gear and doing a little sideline research (journalist stops by the office and checks files) you find that Mr. Cornthwaite is unmarried and that his last appearance in the society pages of an Atlanta Paper was with a Jennifer Hama two years before.

You meet at the train station and your trip moves with surreal speed until you are getting out of a car in Bedford Falls in the late afternoon. The driver states he will be back on Wednesday. You stand with your luggage and look around at a sleepy snowed in village. A few people wander the street and in front of you are the law offices of the Dodge Brothers.

"Wow," Toth says, looking around at the wintry splendor of Bedford Falls. "This place is like something out of a child's bedtime story." He smiles and lights a cigarette. "I guess the best place to start is here at Dodge Brothers. Shall we?"

Bedford Falls is an out of the way place made up of large sprawling properties and at the hub of town are the services that are needed by the gentlemen farmers of the region: a firehouse, a town library, two churches, a town hall building with police office and post office inside, a general merchandise, a boarding house, a cafe and the offices of the Dodge Brothers.

The Dodges, Reginald, Walter and Herbert are pleased to meet you. There offices are well kept and two assistants are sent to get coffee or cocoa. The Dodges are cut from much the same cloth, small tidy men with a dry tedious feel to them. There is another man present who is obviously not one of the Dodges.

"Gentlemen I would like to introduce Detective Vincent DeLuca. We have brought him in on retainer to accompany you on your exploration of the home of Mr. Cornthwaite," says Reginald Dodge. Herbert Dodge picks up here, "We have arranged for two sleds to get you out to the Cornthwaite house today. There is food and actual electricity in the house, but the roads are very bad after the last snow. No one has been out this week." He places two sets of keys on the edge of a table where you are all seated sipping coffee, cocoa, tea or maybe nothing.

Walter chimes in with, "Do you have any questions gentlemen, the sleds will arrive in twenty minutes or so, we put in the call just now."

"Yes, I think I have a few," sys Sherman, pulling out a pad and pen and relaxing into his job. "Could you please describe Mr. Corthwaite from your perspective, and any strange events that might have happened prior to his disappearance? I know what's on the wire, but I want your impressions. Local color and flavor, you know."

"Yes, I think I have a few," sys Sherman, pulling out a pad and pen and relaxing into his job. "Could you please describe Mr. Corthwaite from your perspective, and any strange events that might have happened prior to his disappearance? I know what's on the wire, but I want your impressions. Local color and flavor, you know."

Vincent looks to Walter and gives him a nod he states, "Hey fellas ...... Name is Vincent .. NY PD Special Cases Investigator / Private Investigator [Vincent takes out his wallet and shows everyone his NY PD Badge] ...... and I can give you a little background to Mr. Corthwaite first before Walter will state his impression. You see fellas I was hired out in NYC by Mr. Corthwaite 2 years ago on a private issue. He had me track down an antique thief in NYC. Was an open a shut case. The item of interest was quite different to my recollection though. Some type of wooden box. [When Vince is speaking he is acting as if it if hard to remember the situation however that is not the case]. He was quick to pay my retainer on time and had a little bit of anal retention about his financial matters from what I can recall. Also I believe he was into something else ----- something bizarre ....... As for the rest lets hear what Walter has to say."

[Vincent then pulls out his writing tablet and pen.]

Toth nods at Vincent when he introduces himself, then chimes in with his own questions. "Good to meet you, gentlemen. Now, can any of you tell me who was the last person to see Mr. Cornthwaite and where I might find this person? And Mr. DeLuca, what was the exact nature of the item you tracked down previously?"