Unspeakable Journeys

gwangi32

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vincent replies, "Well thank you Miss Arwell. If I may ask, have you ever met Mr. Cornthwaite?"

"Why yes, Mr. or perhaps I should say Professor Cornthwaite would come in once a month it seems. He would look through the collection for some reference he had donated. He asked me to order a book for the library as well, I can't remeber the name at the moment. And he wanted more of the Golden Bough by Frazier than was in our abridged edition. We are still waiting on delivery." She smiles and asks, "And you sir, do you know the Professor well."

Dice rolling to take place on the research. What you notice at the beginning of your research is that the books with notes in them tend to be on subjects South or Central American. I will assume 30 minutes of research for the roll, you may adjust that at this stage. Other specific questions or observations may also modify the results.

"Could you be so kind as to find out the title of the other book Mr. Cornthwaite ordered, miss Arwell? It would be much appreciated," Toth says in a friendly tone. "And could you show me where the last month's newspapers are archived?"

"And you sir, do you know the Professor well."

Vincent tells the young lady, "Well Miss Arwell call me Vincent and yes I did know Mr. Cornthwaite. Not so well however --- he hired me out a while ago to do a little reserch for him well say. Now about the Golden Bough ---- when do you expect it to arrive??? Also would you be able to check your records to see what you had ordered for the professor???"

After looking through some files for a few minutes Ms. Arwell replies, "The unabridged version of the Golden Bough by James George Frazer will be delivered by the end of March. The other book on order is "Witchcraft in New Spain" translations from the Spanish Archives by Edward McClellan."

In the newspaper archives Cornthwaites name shows up in the local "gossip" section with his arrival and purchase of the "sad and spooky Fitzgerald Manse" in 1919. There are a few more appearances as he donates books, gives a lecture at a historical society meeting or civic activities at some other locale. The newest entry, from about a month ago, reads:

BEDFORD FALLS MILLIONAIRE ABSENT January 17, 1925

by Joe Virelli

Bedford Falls most prosperous son, Arthur Cornthwaite, will not be seen in church for the next few weeks. Mr. Cornthwaite has apparently left the town without notifying anyone as to whereabouts. Possibly on another exciting adventure like his South American trip

Some mystery surrounds this departure, as it came without notice, nor with the typical arrangements for the care of his home. Sheriff Whitford dutifully inspected the house and grounds and has revealed no cause for alarm. The last person to speak with Arthur was his lawyer Walter Dodge. Mr. Dodge has told this reporter that there was no indication at that time that travel was in Mr. Cornthwaite's future plans.

We all know that Mr. Cornthwaite is a local landowner and a millionaire. But he is also a scholar, philanthropist and explorer. He is probably laying the groundwork for his next adventure in archaeology, or perhaps he has fled to some warm southern clime like New Orleans for some relaxation. We hope you will join us in wishing him a safe and happy journey, wherever he has gone.

Ray starts with the most recent donations from Authur and begins checking the books out first seeing if certain parts of the books fall open to and well referenced areas. Then he goes through them looking for marked passages or notes in the margins.

You search through the books finding no marginalia, then choosing an abridgement of "The Golden Bough" you find this passage marked out on page 788:

Brighter starts will rise on some voyager of the future-some great Ulysses of thought-than shine on us. The dreams of magic may one day be the waking realities of science. But a dark shadow lies atwart the far end of this fair prospect. For however vast the increase of knowledge and of power which the future may have in store for man, he can scarely hope to stay the sweep of great forces which seem to be making silently but relentlessly for the distruction of all this starry universe in which our earth swims as a speck or mote.

In the margin is written: "What is he really saying? Did he know of other non human civilzations or is this a wild guess? Did he know what I know and hide more of this in his full version?"

Vincent looks at Ms. Arwell and asks, "That book you mentioned, Golden Bough by James George Frazer is to be delivered by then end of March and "Witchcraft in New Spain" translations from the Spanish Archives by Edward McClellan. Think maybe you could contact the place that is shipping them and see if you could push up the delivery date on those materials?"

[Making a mental note of the name Joe Virelli and writing the name down in his tablet he again turns his head to Ms Arwell.]

Vincent asks, "Ms Arwell, by chance do you know this Joe Virelli?"

Vincent looks at Ms. Arwell and asks, "That book you mentioned, Golden Bough by James George Frazer is to be delivered by then end of March and "Witchcraft in New Spain" translations from the Spanish Archives by Edward McClellan. Think maybe you could contact the place that is shipping them and see if you could push up the delivery date on those materials?"

[Making a mental note of the name Joe Virelli and writing the name down in his tablet he again turns his head to Ms Arwell.]

Vincent asks, "Ms Arwell, by chance do you know this Joe Virelli?"

"I suppose I can try to call on Monday," she says hesitantly. "But now I have to close up, we're already beyond closing time." She smiles briefly, "There are only two places to eat in town and one closes at eight the other is the boarding house and they only serve boarders after seven. I want to get a bite to eat before I head home..." she pauses meaningfully.

"I suppose I can try to call on Monday," she says hesitantly. "But now I have to close up, we're already beyond closing time." She smiles briefly, "There are only two places to eat in town and one closes at eight the other is the boarding house and they only serve boarders after seven. I want to get a bite to eat before I head home..." she pauses meaningfully.

"Well Ms. Arwell if you would like some company for dinner tonight I'd be more then happy to accompany you to dinner. .... My treat." Vincent says as he looks at her in the eyes. Thinking to himself, "This dinner may be very interesting indeed...."