Unspeakable Journeys

gwangi32

"I suppose I can try to call on Monday," she says hesitantly. "But now I have to close up, we're already beyond closing time." She smiles briefly, "There are only two places to eat in town and one closes at eight the other is the boarding house and they only serve boarders after seven. I want to get a bite to eat before I head home..." she pauses meaningfully.

"Well Ms. Arwell if you would like some company for dinner tonight I'd be more then happy to accompany you to dinner. .... My treat." Vincent says as he looks at her in the eyes. Thinking to himself, "This dinner may be very interesting indeed...."

"That would be wonderful," she says. She gathers together a pair of cloth bags and her coat. "Gether's Shop is just two doors down I don't think I'll need my coat."

Ms. Arwell ushers you out, turns out the lights, closes the door and locks up. It is cold and her breath sends out clouds as she says, "Well let's go."

It is already dark and the sky is overcast, though it doesn't look as if snow will fall. Lights have come on in most of the homes around Bedford Falls and there are four businesses open. Gether's General Merchandise has a small cafe with three tables at the back of a room filled with the general goods that farm families need. It is pleasantly warm and the smell of a savory stew greets you as you enter.

Is everyone planning on eating with Ms. Arwell or are there other options you wish to explore?

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ray atretches and heads for the door, "I think I'll take a bit of a walk. See the sights, get a feeling for the town."

"And maybe see if there aren't a few people who have seen things that they are wanting to tell the authorities but might be persuaded to talk about to a friend of Authur's," he thinks to himself.

1. Those who sit down to eat get a fine meal of beef stew with fresh bread. With water and hot coffee the meal is quite enjoyable. Ms. Arwell speaks about the rather sparse local history including a sunk steamboat in the river nearby and focusing on the old Indian mounds in the area and the one near Cornthwaite's home in particular. Current belief is that the mound behind the Cornthwaite Mansion is different, a barnstormer said it was in a shape like a spider or an octopus or something like that. As she pays for her meal and smiles at Mrs. Gether she says, "The house has such a sad history I hope that it didn't carry over to Arthur." She says a happy good evening and prepares to depart for her home a couple blocks away.

2. There are two people who work in the general store Mr. Devlin Gether and his wife Bethilda. Mr. Gether is behind the counter. "Barnes, wouldn't know how to get in touch with him, he don't shop in here." Mr. Gether is a gruff man in his late forties. Mrs. Gether is a pleasant woman, the cook and the server. She is younger than her husband quite obviously and flirts just a little. There are two men at one of the three tables and then there is your party.

3. Bedford Falls is a small farming community. There are traintracks and a grain silo at the edge of town, you can see this from the town square where you stand. It is dark and the only lights come from houses and business windows. Most businesses are closing. The Boarding house is well lit and you can hear someone playing guitar nearby, a jazzy sound in such a small town. The streets have a covering of snow and ice making walking difficult. But you see a man walking in your direction from down the street.

OK I think I covered the various directions taken by the characters. I have left some room for your actions. So assume that from the moment you entered Gether's General Merchandise thirty minutes have passed. It's approximately 7:00 pm

Vincent takes note of what Ms. Arwell states to Mrs. Gether.

["The house has such a sad history I hope that it didn't carry over to Arthur."]

Vincent looks at Ms Arwell and asks, "Mind if I accompany you to your home this evening? If I could I would like to bend your ear for a little while longer as we proceed to your house."

"But, this is the general store, is it not? I was told that Mr. Barnes worked here," Toth says to Gether politely.

"Yes this is the General Store, no Barnes works here. I have a fellow in during the week name of Banes if that's who you mean. He only works for me from Monday to Thursday. He spends the rest of his time elsewhere, and I don't care where." Gether's reply seems tinged by frustration at his flirting wife more than anger at you.

Ray walks towards the man coming down the street. "Excuse me, sir. I was in town to see Arthur Cornthwaite but it seems as if he's out. I'm looking for someone who might know where I could find him."

The man stops and looks you over. He lights up a cigarette and in the light of the match you see the Sheriff Whitford. He says, "I'll tell you what friend, I was gruff earlier. Step down the way to Shirley's and I'll trade notes with you. It bothers me that the Dodges are trying to get the man officially dead. There is something deeper here."

Vincent takes note of what Ms. Arwell states to Mrs. Gether.

["The house has such a sad history I hope that it didn't carry over to Arthur."]

Vincent looks at Ms Arwell and asks, "Mind if I accompany you to your home this evening? If I could I would like to bend your ear for a little while longer as we proceed to your house."

Ms. Arwell blushes and shakes her head, "In a small town like this I don't think it would be appropriate for you to accompany me, but if you would like to meet at church I go to St Luke's at nine o'clock. Or you can call on me tomorrow afternoon if you wish."

This is the normal reaction, if you wish I can make a persuasion/fast talk or similar test.

Vincent looks to Ms. Arwell and states, "Well then how abouts we meet at St Lukes. Ohhh yes maybe we can get a little breakfast as well for I would like to hear some of the history behind the house."

That being said Vincent follows her to the door and gives her a wave as she walks down the street.

Vincent walks back to Mrs. Gether. He asks her, "Well since it's getting late and your about to close shop might you have a few minutes to entertain a question regarding Mr Cornthwaite? If not this evening I can always stop back by tomorrow."

"But, this is the general store, is it not? I was told that Mr. Barnes worked here," Toth says to Gether politely.

"Yes this is the General Store, no Barnes works here. I have a fellow in during the week name of Banes if that's who you mean. He only works for me from Monday to Thursday. He spends the rest of his time elsewhere, and I don't care where." Gether's reply seems tinged by frustration at his flirting wife more than anger at you.

"Ah, I see. Just a mix-up with the names, possibly. I'll come back when this Banes fellow is working and see if he's the fellow I need to talk to. I thank you for your time, and apologize for any trouble, " Toth says as he tips his cap to Mr. Gether. He walks out the door and down the street, looking to find his bed before long.

The man stops and looks you over. He lights up a cigarette and in the light of the match you see the Sheriff Whitford. He says, "I'll tell you what friend, I was gruff earlier. Step down the way to Shirley's and I'll trade notes with you. It bothers me that the Dodges are trying to get the man officially dead. There is something deeper here."

"Well I think we agree there," Ray says smiling at the sheriff. Ray walks to Shirley's with a mind to get to the bottom of things. Its time to see what needs to come to light.

Vincent looks to Ms. Arwell and states, "Well then how abouts we meet at St Lukes. Ohhh yes maybe we can get a little breakfast as well for I would like to hear some of the history behind the house."

That being said Vincent follows her to the door and gives her a wave as she walks down the street.

Vincent walks back to Mrs. Gether. He asks her, "Well since it's getting late and your about to close shop might you have a few minutes to entertain a question regarding Mr Cornthwaite? If not this evening I can always stop back by tomorrow."

As you speak Mr. Gether comes up as well. Mrs. Gether says, "Nows a good time to ask questions, we open up at noon tommorrow and close at six. We're always busy after church and I'll have no time for questions then."