Problem assembling mini

DraydenLayth

I recently bought an off-brand miniature of a dragon. It is the right size in relation to my Reaper collection (ie - it's bigger than they are...) and on all fours and has wings above it somewhat spread. I can not seem to get the wings to stay on. They are just too large and heavy and super-glue and the divits for where they go, are just not doing it.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently bought an off-brand miniature of a dragon. It is the right size in relation to my Reaper collection (ie - it's bigger than they are...) and on all fours and has wings above it somewhat spread. I can not seem to get the wings to stay on. They are just too large and heavy and super-glue and the divits for where they go, are just not doing it.

Any suggestions?

You can mention non-Reaper branded items here, including the actual brand. You won't find a mob of villagers with pitchforks and torches waiting for you.

Hmmm insanely difficult wings that don't really fit. Dragon on all fours...

Anyone else thinking "He Who Shall Not Be Named?"

WotC Black Dragon

:lol:

actually, my husband is the painter and i bought the mini in a store arbitrarily, i don't know the store, the brand, or the name of the mini. and he threw the packaging away already.

someone said something about "pinning", this is something i have never heard him mention, could you explain what you mean, i think he just uses super glue

• Artists

I've only assembled one dragon as yet, but I found using epoxy glue pretty helpful. In addition to providing a pretty strong bond (I also pinned), it filled the gaps around the joins very nicely. After all the epoxy cured there were only one or two gaps I had to repair. Smelled terrible though!

You can also use two-part epoxy to fill and strengthen joints. I use Magic Sculpt, but any brand will do. Just mix up a small amount, wrap the "tab" of the wing in it (I usually apply a small amount of superglue to the metal of both sides of the join as well, as it gives you a nice bond), insert and let cure. Pinning is definitely recommended, and the epoxy will give you a rock-hard bond when cured (usually about an hour). Plus, the two part epoxy can be sculpted while soft to mimic any detail around the wing that is being covered up. I've tried the 5-minute liquid epoxy, but never had much luck with it.

HWSNBN is actually only on 2-3 (depending on how to mount him), Qwyk. And unless Drayden managed to luck into something OOP just sitting on a shelf in a store, I'm having a hard time thinking of very many dragons that are larger than Reaper size AND standing on all fours that are currently in production. The Dark Sword recast of the Ral Partha Golden Dragon of Chaos does come to mind as a possibility; it is both large and heavy, with massive wings. This is an interesting puzzle. Any way you can post some pictures of the miniature for us, Drayden?

~v

i actually did just happen into a store with something old and oop (i'm assuming that's out of production or print). it was in plastic with two layers of grey foam and the name was something about a mountain.

you guys are great, a combo of the epoxy and the super glue worked like a charm and he's on to painting it. we decided on blue. my camera's resolution won't let me take pics of the minis that are in focus...i've been trying to put a couple pics of his up (plus he wanted to enter the winter wonderland contest, but stupid camera) i'll see what i can do about pics.

thank you everyone, you were all really helpful