Sign in to follow this  
merlonc

drop infantry and assault

The general concensus I have heard on drop infantry is that deployment counts as 1 action. What about assault making that a free action.

Drop infantry operates a little differently from other infantry. They don't deploy during the Deployment Phase. At the beginning of any game turn, a player with Drop Infantry adds 1 Initiative Card to the deck for each Drop Infantry section. When one of your Initiative Cards is turned over, you may activate the Drop Infantry if you wish. You can place them anywhere, but not within 12" of an enemy Model. I don't see where it would cost you an action, it's just another deployment.

That's just a summary, the description of Drop Infantry SA is found in more detail on p. 115 of the rule book.

Actually, I would like to get Reaper based clarification on exactly what it means in the late deployment. This would affect both drop infantry as well as the one related to gunships.

You can add a card to the deck and when one of your cards comes up you can deploy anywhere within the limitations. Ok, that makes sense..

But, is that it? Can it do anything that same turn, or is the deployment all it can do for that turn? Are you deploying it on the other edge of the board simply to be a sitting duck for the other player to feed on, or can it actually be of use on the turn deployed?

But, is that it? Can it do anything that same turn, or is the deployment all it can do for that turn? Are you deploying it on the other edge of the board simply to be a sitting duck for the other player to feed on, or can it actually be of use on the turn deployed?

I was just about to ask the same question.

Actually, I would like to get Reaper based clarification on exactly what it means in the late deployment. This would affect both drop infantry as well as the one related to gunships.

You can add a card to the deck and when one of your cards comes up you can deploy anywhere within the limitations. Ok, that makes sense..

Seems to me it wouldn't be of much use unless they could act right away.

Although I agree, I have seen several examples where my conclusions and assumptions were wrong. There have been plenty of instances where the response I have been given from Reaper has been if its not in the text then its not in the text and dont assume it (like with the Templar docterine where you would assume that if you can take less units in a section then it should reduce the number of required items inside that section as well but Reaper responded otherwise).

So, end result is I cant assume anything on things that are only described halfway. For the moment I have to take it at its literal writing which currently says that you can deploy the units at the card flip not deploy and use at card flip.

The way I see it. Drop Infantry are required to have Airborne, which allows them to Dismount as a Free Action.

The Drop Deployment is just a special circumstance Dismount where the Transport is too high to see, and then the Infantry Stand continues their activation as normal.

....the response I have been given from Reaper has been if its not in the text then its not in the text and dont assume it (like with the Templar docterine where you would assume that if you can take less units in a section then it should reduce the number of required items inside that section as well but Reaper responded otherwise).

Actually Stubbdog, I responded otherwise. "Officially" I think the jury is still out on this one. :mellow:

following stubdogs lead I have the following intrepretation based on a re-red of all the rules.

in the upgrades section on drop infantry:

Models with the Drop Infantry Upgrade do not

initially deploy with the Task Force during the

Deployment Phase.

When one of their Initiative Cards is turned over,

they may choose to Activate the Drop Infantry

Section. When Activating the Drop Infantry

Section, the controlling player simply places the

Models anywhere on the table but not within

12” of any enemy.

This is not deployment, it specified Activiation and place. So the unit is activated and placed, not deployed. This does not state it takes an action to place so the unit has two actions left. This makes sense as the preresequite SA(missed this in my first read) is Airborne (40 pts) which gives the benefits of Shock SA. The 25 points per stand for Drop SA gets you a transport that works once and can't be shot down, but drops you too far away to assault.

So to sum up. Drop Infantry are placed when first activated and continue their turn from there.

So to sum up. Drop Infantry are placed when first activated and continue their turn from there.

So how come this newbie can make better sense of the rules that the rest of us? <_<

Nice observations Merlonc.

Castlebuilder

Actually Stubbdog, I responded otherwise. "Officially" I think the jury is still out on this one.

Assuming you are talking about my reference to the templar docterine... and I believe our disagreement on the interpretation of the rule.

But, I was told off forum at the Reaper Asylum that it is as written in the book. That being there is no mention in the book about not having to still take a full required units in a section even if the Templars are allowed to take less units overall. Meaning that I guess your interpretation was correct, that in for example an armor section, if the templar player chose to only take three units, they would all have to be of type attack.

And that is not the only time I have assumed wrongly. With that in knowledge, it tells me that I cannot use my own assumptions as a good place to start and I prefer to wait for official response on some of these things.

The way I see it. Drop Infantry are required to have Airborne, which allows them to Dismount as a Free Action.

The Drop Deployment is just a special circumstance Dismount where the Transport is too high to see, and then the Infantry Stand continues their activation as normal.

following stubdogs lead I have the following intrepretation based on a re-red of all the rules.

in the upgrades section on drop infantry:

Models with the Drop Infantry Upgrade do not

initially deploy with the Task Force during the

Deployment Phase.

When one of their Initiative Cards is turned over,

they may choose to Activate the Drop Infantry

Section. When Activating the Drop Infantry

Section, the controlling player simply places the

Models anywhere on the table but not within

12” of any enemy.

This is not deployment, it specified Activiation and place. So the unit is activated and placed, not deployed. This does not state it takes an action to place so the unit has two actions left. This makes sense as the preresequite SA(missed this in my first read) is Airborne (40 pts) which gives the benefits of Shock SA. The 25 points per stand for Drop SA gets you a transport that works once and can't be shot down, but drops you too far away to assault.

Niether of these addresses the issue of gunships with the Orbital Gunship Insertion upgrade which is worded similarly.

I think that Orbital Insertions may actually work the opposite of how these do. In the OI rules, it says that instead of activating the gunships, you deploy them on the table. Seems like that's all they'd get to do that turn then.