Sign in to follow this  
Samedi

Obsidian Weapons

Hello!

I just got Zizzix (DHL 3142) ready for painting. Removing the mold lines was hell on this one but I hope they came off for the most part. Apart from the mold lines, which were much worse than those I found on other Reaper minis so far, I really love this sculpt. The Tri-Kreen of the AD&D Dark Sun universe were always a favourite of mine and Zizzix will be painted as one.

Now here is the problem. Metal was very rare in the Dark Sun campaigns. So weapons were made of stone, bone or obsidian. I'm planning to give Zizzix some cool obsidian blades for his weapons, but right now I'm a little at loss about how to do it. Zizzix is the fourth mini ever for me to paint, but I will try any technique that has an even remote chance for success - I'm here to learn, after all.

Has anyone ever painted obsidian or flintstone blades or has an idea how I could do that? I hope all the pros out there have some tips to share.

Thanks!

I'd paint them solid black with a very bright highlighting of white or pale gray at the sharp edges.

Do a google search for obsidian images and see what photo references you can come up with.

I'm also in the black with bright highlights camp...although a very (very!) dark red might work as well as black; some obsidian examples I've seen have a deep reddish cast when the light filters through the thicker parts.

Doing a very basic black w/highlights scheme may end up just giving you a very flat black stone...you might want to try NMM to get the very glossy look obsidian has.

As Aryanun said, searching for images will definitely help. You'll be able to find lots of arrowheads and the like in obsidian, so this should be easy to get ideas for...getting those ideas to pewter is what's always the hard/fun part!

Make sure you keep us updated; this should be a neat piece to see over in Show Off.

Thank you for all the help!

Aryanun - I found some pictures that look like a good reference for me. It will be the first time I paint with a reference: hated art class at school, probably because I hated the teacher, so I never paid much attention and dropped it as soon as I could - in 9th grade or so.

Sanael - I really like your idea of using a very dark red. Would a red glaze over a black basecoat work for the effect you mention?

Goldeneagle - Thanks for the picture, it is exactly what I was looking for and will help me a great deal!

Unfortunately the project has to be put on hold for a while: I really messed up the painting on Zizzix's body, so he had to take a bath in pure alcohol, the only solvent I had at hand. The paint came off well and so did his head and all the green stuff I used to fill the little gaps - pure alcohol beats super glue any day. I just found out. I'm starting to doubt Zizzix deserves the cool obsidian weapons I was going to give him with all this refusing to get painted. :angry:

On the other hand that will give me some time to paint another mini and improve my blending and highlighting skills. :rolleyes:

I'll get back to Zizzix after that. He'll get those weapons, and if it's the last thing I ever do!

Samaedi, glad I could help a bit...I think, actually, a black glaze over a dark red basecoat might work better, but I'm actually not sure how well black really glazes. You might try both ways on something aside from Zizzix...that's one reason I have a bunch of primed plastic bases lying around!

Good luck with getting paint back on the pewter!