Dresden Files

gwangi32

So I was on a business trip to New Orleans last year and read the first book in the Dresden Files series. I enjoyed it enough to buy another. One of my many weaknesses is mind candy reading, you know, the stuff that fills the SciFi/Fantasy section at Barnes and Noble. So while watching Battlestar Galactica with my wife and the pugs, also last year, I saw an advertisement for the Dresden Files which matched up with the books I was reading. The series has started on the SciFi Channel and I like it. Has anyone else seen it? Does anyone else have an opinion? The books are covering a different storyline with similar characters to the TV series.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've watched the first episode of the Dresden files and it didn't really grab me. I'm a fan of the series (just finished the most recent one) and had tenative hopes for the tv series. My friends tell me I should watch at least the 2nd episode, and since I don't have cable, someone has taped them for me, because it gets better. So, eventually, I'll get around to it. I think I'd rather finish Torchwood first, though.. :)

/ali

"Everything you've heard about faeries, ghosts, and the supernatural is true. Except for vampires. I've never heard anything so stupid in my entire life."

Or was that Special Unit 2? Haven't had cable since I graduated college...

I hear good things about Dresden, but right now I have to make do with re-runs of Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis and episodes of Supernatural whenever I can wrestle the TV away from my wife and ER.

It is an interesting show. I have caught it a couple of times.

I like Special Unit 2. I watched it originally a few years ago on the UPN network. I like to think of it as an extension to the original Kolchak: The Night Stalker. If the Chicago Police took him seriously and created a police division to handle the strange things. It is a little campy and humorous but I think that adds to the fun of the show.

rm

Last night's episode was interesting, I am happy with this show appears to be making it as I like to have TV to watch but want to be as escapist as possible, no law, crime or hospitol stuff. No sitcoms or reality shows either. So I have Lost, Mythbusters, Discovery Channel and SciFi. I went out to get book six Blood Rites and it was sold out, and apparently there are three more beyond that. I'll get through the latest Simon Green psychic detective thing and hopefully Blood Rites will be in, Barnes and Noble gets their orders pretty quick.

I am going to say that I like the books better than the show. Of course I am a big fan of reading over watching for entertainment. I think it's interesting that Kolchack (the original) stomped around Chicago just like Dresden does, is Chicago know for ghost tales? I never thought so before this.

I am watching the show and liking what I see. I just started reading the 1st book and am 8 chapters into it. Very good read so far. I got hooked on the fantasy mixed with real world setting with the Anitia Blake books. The AB books were great until the author decided that the best way for AB to fix her problems is to have sex with something or someone. For me that got old fast. I just finished Mercedes Lackey's three Diana Tregerade books and really enjoyed them as well. Any suggestions for a good RPG system that you could do a Dresden/Anitia Blake (Minus the unending sex) type game with?

Decado

The Chill RPG system will work well for a modern game with fantasy substituted for the original horror base.

It is OOP, but it can easily be found on EvilBay for reasonable prices. The Mayfair edition only has two essential books (Main rulebook and Chill Companion)

I think I remember reading on ENWorld that Jim Butcher bases his game at least partially on D20 Modern rules (from games he actually played, but it was a while since I read that, so I could be misremembering.

Anyway, you could do it with D20 modern or Shadowrun fairly well. Even Fantasy Hero or Dark Champions (Hero System) would work. The Hero system is incredibly versatile.

/ali