Monique DeNoir - 54mm

January release of the 54 MM Master Series - Monique DeNoir - 30004.

I am going to try and show this mini step by step... Hopefully it doesn't take too long, or cause people to lose interest.

(I enjoy watching mini's get painted in time lapse - so I'll see if I can return the favour for someone else.)

At the very least - it will prompt me to a) get her painted, and b) start taking better pictures.

So - Lets get-er-done!

Step 1 - open package and remark at the amazing sculpt on this one. (Mr. Klocke you make good mini's).

post-3574-1172026385.jpg

The elf is a standard 25 MM - I'll try and put something in the pictures every now and then to show the scale of the piece.

Step 2 - Separate and trim all of the pieces and dry fit them.

post-3574-1172026396.jpg

Okay - quick question - note the blue arrow in the picture - it is pointing at a small crescent(ish) shaped piece that looks like it's supposed to go somewhere. Here's the kicker - I don't see where yet - someone please help.

And before I forget - I am not sure what colour I want to paint her yet... I think she'd look great in purple (similar to the General Matisse in the other WIP thread) but then that'd be 2 (3, 4...) purple mini's sitting on my shelf. In other words - I am open to suggestions on colour scheme.

Think of it as interactive painting.

Next up - cleaning - minor assembly - and priming!!!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, that's the spur.

I just recently picked this one up, but -other than pulling it out of the blister to look at- I haven't done anything with it yet. For myself, I was thinking of black armor with silver trim, but that's just one suggestion.

I'm currently working on her...and doing the black with silver trim. She's all black, grey, silver, and white, save for skin color--and it's proving a fun challenge.

The color scheme I almost went with involved midnight blues/teals and purple.

Whatever you choose, I love seeing other interpretations of minis that I'm working on, so keep us posted!

Cool - spur - Next time I'll do a bit more research before I ask :blush: .

In the meantime - I am leaning towards a black NMM rolling through burgundy to deep red highlights... Burgundy through bright red for the gilding on the armour...

For the skirting - maybe a linen white working its way to burgundy/blood red? ...? Good thing I have to prime it first :)

I have mounted the arms on seperate bits of wire for painting/priming.

Also - I am not pinning her (I'll probably regret this down the road - but this way - I'll only have myself to blame).

I'll try and get the primed/minor assembly pics up tonight. (I am going to attach the hip plates and the spur before priming)

I did the same thing--attached hip plates and spur first, and am waiting on the arms. You'll have a couple of minor problems with brush accessability when painting the rear section of her left hip, but other than that, I have found it to be a time-saver. There are a few areas where the sculpt itself makes things very difficult to get at with a brush, but it's managable overall.

Patience with the spur! It took me four separate attempts to get that sucker glued on securely, and I had to dig out dried glue/epoxy from that hole each time. Glued my fingers together and to the model on one of those attempts, and the process of removing my fingers also removed the spur...it was a tricky one for me!

Like the black to maroon idea for a color scheme, can't wait to see how it turns out!

I did the same thing--attached hip plates and spur first, and am waiting on the arms. You'll have a couple of minor problems with brush accessability when painting the rear section of her left hip, but other than that, I have found it to be a time-saver. There are a few areas where the sculpt itself makes things very difficult to get at with a brush, but it's managable overall.

Patience with the spur! It took me four separate attempts to get that sucker glued on securely, and I had to dig out dried glue/epoxy from that hole each time. Glued my fingers together and to the model on one of those attempts, and the process of removing my fingers also removed the spur...it was a tricky one for me!

Like the black to maroon idea for a color scheme, can't wait to see how it turns out!

Did you have an issues getting her to stand on the base?

I keep getting a gap under 1 of the feet, and its kind of hard to bend...

Thanks for the other advice!

Yeah - about the spur...

I put a rod into the cloak (underside) so I could support the mini while priming and painting.

So - when sticking the rod into the foam for priming - guess what fell off... :angry:

In other words - the spur will be added at a later date.

Much later...

Like when I find the ruddy thing!!!

Ha! I lost the spur in the carpet once, too! Spent a good hour combing over the area under my paint table one slow inch at a time...

Re: getting her to stand on the base, I did have some trouble dry fitting her...there were bits of mold line that looked like they belonged until I really got in there and started trimming on her. It took LOTS of trimming, and filing, on the bottom of her skirt where it meets the base for me to get her to stand evenly on both feet. Keep matching her up to the base, and working around that shield carving--that's what caused the most problems in getting her flush for me. Since I'm painting those pieces separately, we'll see if she goes back on when I'm done.

I'm really interested in this thread since I'm looking forward to paiting this one. I've got some Bull Orcs for a Warlord game, and a demon for a birthday present to get through first, though. So I'll be interested to see what other folks have done before I slap paint.