Sign in to follow this  
Brushmaster

Infantry Assaults

Ok , lets see if I've got it right . :wacko:

I have an infantry stand transported by "x" , "x" double moves , can I deploy the infantry stand cause I'm not quite sure from the rules . Secondly , if the said Infantry stand has the "Shock" SA , it can deploy for free , then move ard charge and enter h2h combat , right ? :unsure:

You are correct. Mount/Dismount is the infantries action, so the transport can indeed double move. If the infantry have shock or airborne mount/dismount is a free action and they can take their normal two actions (ie charge into b2b for the first action and initiate CC for the second). So let's say you've got a transport/2 gunship with a Mov of 17. It is transporting an Armored Rifle Team with the Shock and Jump Pack upgrades. The transport can move up to 34 inches, the infantry dismount for free, then charge 7 inches (Mov 3 + 2 from jump pack + 2 inch straight line movement from the infantry charge rule) into b2b and proceed with close combat.

1. dis-embarking from a transport is the movement of the infantry not the transport, so yes you can double move a transport and still have the infantry get out and shoot someone or do close combat if they dis-embarked directly into b2b with the enemy afterwards.

1b. You could even have a transport do a Run-n-Gun action, and still have the infantry exit and also do something after they get out. If you do this, then the infantry would either have to have the SA to get out anywhere along the way if you want them to do a ranged attack since all ranged attacks have to happen at the same time, or just leave them without the SA, and unload them at the end of the transport's move and perform any other type of action, for example direct into B2B and have them do a close combat action (which would take place after the transport's Run and Gun).

2. Also, a yes, if you have shock then that dis-embarkation action is a free action leaving your infantry free to do two full actions (dont limit your thinking to just charge and close combat)

You are correct. Mount/Dismount is the infantries action, so the transport can indeed double move. If the infantry have shock or airborne mount/dismount is a free action and they can take their normal two actions (ie charge into b2b for the first action and initiate CC for the second). So let's say you've got a transport/2 gunship with a Mov of 17. It is transporting an Armored Rifle Team with the Shock and Jump Pack upgrades. The transport can move up to 34 inches, the infantry dismount for free, then charge 7 inches (Mov 3 + 2 from jump pack + 2 inch straight line movement from the infantry charge rule) into b2b and proceed with close combat.

:blink::blink::blink:

That could be damn deadly on a 4' x 4' table !

Thanks , Sarge ! ::D:

That could be damn deadly on a 4' x 4' table !
Yep, sure is. Like Stubbdog said, don't limit yourself to just the charge/CC combo after dismounting. You could use this with an engineer with shock, dismount, move and repair one of your models. Or with a FiST model, dismount and call for fire. All kinds of options are available.

....So let's say you've got a transport/2 gunship with a Mov of 17. It is transporting an Armored Rifle Team with the Shock and Jump Pack upgrades. The transport can move up to 34 inches, the infantry dismount for free, then charge 7 inches (Mov 3 + 2 from jump pack + 2 inch straight line movement from the infantry charge rule) into b2b and proceed with close combat.

Except that infantry with the "Jump" SA cannot get involved in close combat because their movement type changes to "Air". :down:

(I'm pretty sure that this wasn't the intent but it is the rule.) :lol:

Except that infantry with the "Jump" SA cannot get involved in close combat because their movement type changes to "Air". :down:

I don't know of any part of the book that states that Mclass Air models may not participate in or conduct Close Combat. Theres mention about Gunships not being in B2B with ground models, but thats not the same thing. Really the only thing holding most flying models from conducting Close Combat is A) theyre a gunship and therefore not in B2B and B) they dont have a CCV.

Now if theres a section in the book that says otherwise, please let us know.

Now if theres a section in the book that says otherwise, please let us know.

My understanding was that Gunships could not conduct close combat because their movement type was "air". That could very well be a misunderstanding on my part but I do not have the rules handy here. I will look again tonight.

The B2B rule specifically states that Gunships are never considered to be in B2B contact. Nothing about movement types.

The rules for Close Combat make no reference at all to model or movement types. They simply say that a model must be in B2B to participate in CC. Since the B2B rules prevent gunships from being in B2B, they naturally are excluded from CC.

The B2B rule specifically states that Gunships are never considered to be in B2B contact. Nothing about movement types....

Okay, I have my rules now (look out! the lawyer is armed!) pg. 80 of the .pdf states that Gunships are never considered to be in B2B contact because they "do not operate on the same vertical level as ground Models...." It is no great leap of logic to extend this rule to all MClass Air units then so I think I would add a sentence specifically excluding Jump Infantry from this rule if that is, in fact, the intent.

I also have a question regarding MClass Air units. Namely, can I forego the cover bonus (and LoS penalties) of say, the woods terrain type by "flying" over, rather than through or around them? Again, I doubt that is the intent but.... :devil:

As an aside, the Badger and Hedgehog data cards still show the "Avenger" SA.