Sign in to follow this  
merlonc

Movement type AIR

The movement cost for movement type air for light woords is x$ and heavy woods is NA. Does this mean it takes this cost to enter, fly over or both? I am hoping the answer is AIr movement costs x4 to enter the trees, can't enter heavy trees, but can fly over either at a X1 cost as long as the unit does not end its movement on the terrain.

Thanks

To add to this what about infantry with the Jet Pack SA. Can they go into woods as long as they aren't using the extra move?

I believe this is because "air" craft can not enter woods and therefore there is no movement factor . They can , however move ove it . :ph34r:

If I remember correctly SA are optional unless stated differently in there description. So infantry with jet packs can walk through woods.

For a model with Air MClass to enter and cross a light wooded area it'll cost them x4 the normal. They can not enter heavy woods. Unless I missed something a Air MClass model can not change their leivaition to raise over obstructing terrain. We'll probable see rules for this in future suppliments though.

There's no mention of changing elevation at all in the rules for mclass air units. Also, it is not like Warlord where flying models are above everything and visible to all. Best way to describe it is that flying models are at a constant 30 ft or so altitude. If I were playing with somebody who moved into heavy woods with jump pack infantry I wouldn't complain unless they tried to add the extra movement from the SA.

I posed this question in a different thread but, sans anything "official" to dispute it, I agree with Sgt. Crunch here.

MClass "air" units move through or around (not over) terrain just as any other model. "Jump" infantry has the option of being considered MClass "air" at the beginning of it's activation. That's how I would rule it.

Sadly I've seen nothing in the rules that indicates flying units can fly over stuff. Hope I'm wrong.

There's no mention of changing elevation at all in the rules for mclass air units. ...

I thought this was handled by the Terrain Modifiers chart on pg 79 "Vertical Obstacles, Field Works". I figured the Air movement of x2 meant your spent 6" of your movement to "climb" 3" of trees or a wall to cross it. If you were crossing a building, you speant the x2 modifier to "climb" and the rest of your movement to cross the building. If you didn't make it across, you were on top of it.

There's no mention of changing elevation at all in the rules for mclass air units. ...

I thought this was handled by the Terrain Modifiers chart on pg 79 "Vertical Obstacles, Field Works". I figured the Air movement of x2 meant your spent 6" of your movement to "climb" 3" of trees or a wall to cross it. If you were crossing a building, you speant the x2 modifier to "climb" and the rest of your movement to cross the building. If you didn't make it across, you were on top of it.

That is the way I had interpreted it as well.

I'm sure the N/A for Movement type Air for woods has to mean they can't go in the woods. I mean come on, they're airplanes. :wacko::lol:

I would say the terrain modifiers on pg. 79 pretty much takes care of it but lets wait and see what EE says.

I'm sure the N/A for Movement type Air for woods has to mean they can't go in the woods. I mean come on, they're airplanes. :wacko::lol:

I would say the terrain modifiers on pg. 79 pretty much takes care of it but lets wait and see what EE says.

If Han Solo were piloting the gunship, maybe you could get away with it. :lol:

Well, based on how I have been playing it under the tutaledge of Mad Pat, it is that models with movement type air are always at a Level +2 height. That is they are always at 2 levels above whatever they are flying over. If there is something of level 3 in front of them, it would take spending 3 inches worth of movement to go up over said obstacle. The only exception seems to be if there is something that is level 1 in front of them, then even though there is a raise in elevation of the ground, it is not blocking the model from proceeding and therefore it can move over a level 1 obstacle freely.

Same in regards to trees. If you determine that the trees on your table are level 4 tall trees then it would require 4 inches of vertical movement to get up above the trees, then fly on from there. IF your trees are shorter, then then needs would be less. If you are playing with templates, then it would be the default that is in the book.

Now that is just how I have been playing with Mad Pat, and most of the time he has been right, but there have been a few instances where what he thought to be true, the final choices made for the game were otherwise. Pat helped write the structure of CAV2, but not the final decisions.

The problem is that there is no mention of elevation at all in the rules. Not in regards to gunship altitude, the height of trees, flying over obstacle, nothing. So unless something else comes out of ReaperHQ, I'm playing it as the aircraft are at what used to be refered to as "level 2" and not flying over things.

All gunships currently move at NoE (Nap of the Earth) this way they benefit from protection provided by terrain but are also hindered by them. This was the orginal way it was in CAV 1. Later in the JoR 1 book Aircraft Hybird Mode Scenrio Rule was introduced. This rule allowed gunships to rise to cruising level for increased spend at the cost of being in LoS of everything on the board. We can expect a CAV2 version in the sometime soon future, perhaps in a book entitled: Rules of Engagement :devil: