3102 Olivia

fieldarchy

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck on the contest!

She looks good. You did a good job on the white (my least favorite color to paint).

Highlighting looks good on skin and purples. The transitions seem a little abrupt in the hair, but that could be the picture or my monitor since the highlights look to be in all the right places.

Okay - everything is gorgeous... The transitions are beautiful, and the colours pop without being cartoony.

The only thing I see as being off...

The um sword seems a little - well - wonky...

----___-----___----|~~~~

If you know what I mean.

Wow - ASCII art. A new personal low.

Straighten it out... and I have nothing else to say.

Clearly, your skill is something I aspire to.

Good luck!

Nice, fun paint job, but I don't like purple. Never the less, the execution is good. I see purple as a royal color or a modern color, and out of place in a musketeer.

The feather on the hat is a nice white, but I'd like to see it with an accent color that coordinates with the main colors-- in this case a purple, lavender or perhaps dark blue. -- Best case, w/different color scheme-- a red, brown or green stripe or two on the white base.

I'd also recommend replacing the bendable rapier with a straight pin (nip off the sharpest bit of the point). A straight blade looks much cooler.

I think the boots, gloves and scabbard are superb. Don't change them. As for a different hat color, you could match the hat to the boots instead of the pants and blouse.....

I wish I could blend skin tones like you, but this figure is a musketeer and begging for abit of a tan. The eyes are very sharp, "Eye-catching" if you will.... but maybe just a bit too big... I hesitate to say that because I like the look on this figure, and it sort of goes with the modern anime style- which can have a place even in a musketeer.

If you don't win, I'd really like to see the winner. Your work is very, very good.

VV, the blade is a bit wonkerific. I tried straightening it out as much as I could but no matter what you do it bends every time you touch it if your not careful. It even got bent today taking it to the game store and I had it wrapped up in a box! I did the best I could with the blade and didn't really want to change it out for a different weapon . . . so, unfortunately it looks a bit jacked up!

Turhan, I did think of doing several different things with the hat . . . black hat but a purple and a white feather or purple hat with white and black feathers, black hat with purple feathers, etc. I decided on the purple because I know that's a color I work with really well. Black, I'm still trying to get the hang of . . . the best times I have had with black on when I am painting a piece of the mini that has good solid folds and details. It helps make the black look much nicer and not too grey. As for the tan, well I thought her more of a redhead with some paler skin. I didn't think a tan redhead would read quite right . . .

East, I hate painting white too but I need to get better at it! So, that is why I decided to paint so much white on this one. And also didn't want to over do the colors.

C'mon guys! I was hoping for more feedback! Please tell me what you like and what you don't. I know she can't possibly be perfect! :-P

Your right, you should jest get rid of it by adding it to my collection :poke:

Frosch has a great way of replacing wonky blades with pins for really nice and straight foil blades. The only complaint I see is the ear, and I suspect that is in the sculpt, not the paint. It looks too nice to try and find things wrong with it.

So - when is the competition over?

I just gotsta know how ya did!!!

And I here you about the sword. Many moons ago when I started painting the first time - rather than NMM blades - or metallic paint blades - I would prime and paint the mini - then shave down the lead to show the shiny un-primed metal below.

Was a great way to get swords that a) looked shiny, b) looked like they were mauled by a beaver, and c) bent if you even looked at them funny. (You can see an example of this ingenious technique in the Show Me the Mini thread...). I was young and stupid.

Now I am middle aged and stupid :upside:

The voting occurs between Friday and Sunday and then Monday I believe is when they announce the winner. I'm going in to cast my vote. Basically, anyone who signed up for the competition and bought the mini gets to vote. Usually about 20% of the entries come back but the last time I did a contest I didn't even place! That was many moons ago and with a really sucky mini. I am very proud of this one and hope she places if not wins Best Overall!

Ofcourse shes perfect ::): She is really good. one thing that I goot poked in the eye for until I finally changed and got better results was the eyelining. Black for above the eye and some type of brown for under the eye and the line made very thin.

I will hold my thumbs for you, thats a saying from sweden instead of crossing fingers we hold our thumbs