Sign in to follow this  
tabascojunkie

What Pro Paints can you not live without?

Do any of you still swear by a few Pro Paint colors even though we have all the great Master Paints?

For me it's Walnut, Oiled Leather, and Woodland Brown. I just can't find a good replacement for those, and I even find the MSP equivalents to be a bit off.

Or are there some of you that use a pretty even mix of both Reaper paint lines, or even other brands too? I myself use about as many Vallejos, Game Color and Model Color, as I do Reaper paints.

Right now I am useing a fair mix of the two, but I can't give up my colored Pro paint steels (Blue Steel, Purple steel, Green steel) I use them in alot of magic effects. I just love the purple steel... Used in layers together they make great irredecent effects.

I really like Elven Green.

Is there an MSP equivalent? I haven't bought any of the MSP greens yet except the clear and the liner.

I have a bunch of green paints from before MSP. Some are Valljo and some are an old OOP paint line from Global Games. I have had them for over 10 years and they are still good! They are actually similiar to MSPs.

I use a mix of brands. I don't have many of the old RPP's left. I never used Walnut that much, though I'm a big fan of Liner Brown. If I had to pick an RPP that I'd keep, it would be Hill Giant Brown. It makes a great flesh base tone, though I think Tanned Shadow comes pretty close.

If I were more of a fan of the cremes, then I'd want to keep them. There is no MSP equivalent.

I'm actually diggin' the Ruddy Flesh. Very thick, easily mixable and darkened down or lightened up. Can be quick and dirty with just a few brown washes and you have decent fleshtone on heavily muscled half Ogres and the like.

I'm actually diggin' the Ruddy Flesh. Very thick, easily mixable and darkened down or lightened up. Can be quick and dirty with just a few brown washes and you have decent fleshtone on heavily muscled half Ogres and the like.

Yeah, I like that one too, haven't used it in awhile though.

It didn't quite make my can't live without list though. ::):

Most of them.

There are a number of them that don't exist in the master line (Hawkwood, Stone Grey, most of the greens I like among others) that I used in the past and not having them would really, really bum me out... as well as a lot of my customers. :;): We tend to sell an equal number of RPP and RMP right now and it would be a minor tragedy to have them go.

If I was forced to pick exact colors I'd have to rattle out a list of about 30 colors I use (and we restock) all the time. I've painted for around 25 years and my style is not that of the current batch award winning painters. The MSP line is nice, but not my cup o' tea, ignoring the technical issues which seems to have plagued it. I love the Pros since they come closest to the old Ral Partha paint line (and subsequently the old Polly S line) from when I started.

There you have it - a baised opinion from me. :rolleyes:

Quick, tell me.... is there a PP equivalent of Ral Partha Tan, Shamrock Green and Forest Green? Please say yes!

I thought Elven Green was close to Forest Green - Shamrock (RP) and Emerald are pretty close. I think a little Linen White got it right on...

Wasn't Tan one of the Horizon colors line RP did ? I don't recall exactly what I did there - but I know that Hill Giant Brown was a replacement for some of my lighter brown/tans - sometimes with some while, sometimes with Dove Gray added to get them the right shades.

Sorry, it's been a while since I needed to be matching those colors against each other. :down:

I kinda 'transitioned' the colors across units I was doing and then subsequently sold the figures as the game systems I was playing went under and there were folks willing to pay crazy amounts of cash for the minis... :rolleyes:

Then I moved on to other games and just used the newer paint line to paint...

I wish you luck finding the matches... although IWM does still sell Shamrock - you just need to get it online from them.