musings on elf equipment

Darthiir

from time to time, in that near state of sleep, i get brief moments of clarity and come up with some pretty crazy, yet amazing things. last nights topic, elven equipment, or the oh what would be great to come out in the elf faction book.

arrows as equipment, similar to spells, in that you purchase and arrow, use it once, and it's gone. some of the better flavors:

Arrow of Slaying: If it deals a point of damage and the model is a single track or on its last damage track, instant coup.

Arrow of Blow Through: If it deals a point of damage the arrow continues, a la blow-through, for 6", but cannot travel further than 30" total. so if you shoot a model at 18" it will stop at 24" but if you shoot a model at 28" it will stop at 30".

Magical Arrows: These come in different flavors, not sure how to point them out, but have an arrow with fireball, lightning bolt, firestorm, etc. Figure the base cost of the spell plus something . . .spell detonates upon impact.

New subfaction special ability: Concentrated Fire: Similar to a volley in that you add 6" to the range of the attack, but instead of doing AOE damage you concentrate fire on a single target. All targets must have valid line of sight, unless you have a blazer in the group, and you do additional damage based on the number of shots. Say you have 20 shots going at the target, instead of doing a 5" AOE you do five points of damage to the model. Your RAV is based on the lowest RAV in the group, but you get an additional +1 to the attack for each model participating. so you have 10 vale archers plus Eawod doing a concentrated fire attack at an onyx chevy. . .your base RAV is 3 +11 for a total of +14, you roll once for the attack minimum of 15 with a roll of 1 average of 19 and deal 5 points to the Chevy. :ph34r::blink::unsure::devil:

That's all I can remember right now.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

from time to time, in that near state of sleep, i get brief moments of clarity and come up with some pretty crazy, yet amazing things. last nights topic, elven equipment, or the oh what would be great to come out in the elf faction book.

arrows as equipment, similar to spells, in that you purchase and arrow, use it once, and it's gone. some of the better flavors:

Arrow of Slaying: If it deals a point of damage and the model is a single track or on its last damage track, instant coup.

Arrow of Blow Through: If it deals a point of damage the arrow continues, a la blow-through, for 6", but cannot travel further than 30" total. so if you shoot a model at 18" it will stop at 24" but if you shoot a model at 28" it will stop at 30".

Magical Arrows: These come in different flavors, not sure how to point them out, but have an arrow with fireball, lightning bolt, firestorm, etc. Figure the base cost of the spell plus something . . .spell detonates upon impact.

Great ideas Tavis. Magical Arrows should use the RAV of the shooter instead of CP to make up for the HUGE range advantage over the normal spell's range. They should probably cost at least 1.5 times the spell's normal cost as well. Still kind of powerful to ba able to shoot off a Firestorm at 30"!! :blink:

New subfaction special ability: Concentrated Fire: Similar to a volley in that you add 6" to the range of the attack, but instead of doing AOE damage you concentrate fire on a single target. All targets must have valid line of sight, unless you have a blazer in the group, and you do additional damage based on the number of shots. Say you have 20 shots going at the target, instead of doing a 5" AOE you do five points of damage to the model. Your RAV is based on the lowest RAV in the group, but you get an additional +1 to the attack for each model participating. so you have 10 vale archers plus Eawod doing a concentrated fire attack at an onyx chevy. . .your base RAV is 3 +11 for a total of +14, you roll once for the attack minimum of 15 with a roll of 1 average of 19 and deal 5 points to the Chevy. :ph34r::blink::unsure::devil:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Good one Tavis! You're kidding right?! :blink::blink: This one needs a lot of work. Anything that inflicts multiple wounds in Warlord is powerful and the two things that already exist have tough restrictions or drawbacks. Being able to inflict up to 5 points of damage is insanely powerful!! :blink: It should not be the same as Volley as you are taking precise shots at a specific target and should not add 6" to the range and you should not be able to use Blazer. Here is what I think it should look like:

Concentrated Fire: This ability allows Elf Models with the Marksman SA may give up a Non-Combat Action to concentrate their fire on a single target. Models must be adjacent to each other as for a Volley and any number of Models may participate. For every Model partcipating after the first lends a +1 Support bonus to the first Models RAV to a maximum of twice the first Models RAV (i.e. 4 Vale Archers could Concentrate Fire on a single target for a RAV 6 attack or Eawod with GAU with 5 Vale Archers for a RAV 10 attack).

If the Elves get a subfaction that has very few or very poor Melee units then Concentrate Fire could be balanced. It is still pretty powerful as I have written it and could dominate in a timed event. You could Concentrate Fire on your opponent's fast units or spell casters to eliminate getting your archers mowed down early in the event and run and gun the rest of the time. It's hard to hide from Ranged Attacks. Give your archers the eleveation advantage and you can hit anything you like.

My $0.02.

Concentrated Fire: This ability allows Elf Models with the Marksman SA may give up a Non-Combat Action to concentrate their fire on a single target. Models must be adjacent to each other as for a Volley and any number of Models may participate. For every Model partcipating after the first lends a +1 Support bonus to the first Models RAV to a maximum of twice the first Models RAV (i.e. 4 Vale Archers could Concentrate Fire on a single target for a RAV 6 attack or Eawod with GAU with 5 Vale Archers for a RAV 10 attack).

Giving up an attack to give another model +1 RAV is a loser. Two attacks at 9+ to hit are better than one at 8+ to hit, etc. In any case, I think this direction is the wrong way to go. The "big guys" are already at a disadvantage compared to the swarms of grunts; giving another method for taking them down more easily is counterproductive. How about an ability that counters swarms?

Rich

"Tree House"

At any point in the game, elf players may opt to construct a Tree House. This takes all of a troop's actions. Once constructed the elves may retreat to the tree house for cups of warm tea and the singing of happy songs. Elves in a tree house will not re-enter the fight because it's just so dandy to drink tea and sing happy songs, but opposing armies are repulsed by the singing so much that they will not attack. They must mutter, shake their heads, and leave.

Arrow of Slaying could be called "poison arrow" or something like that... though that may become confusing since poison is an ability already in the game and the two concepts don't work the same. Perhaps a different arrow could be called Poison Arrow and actually do what it says... one shot poison if the target is hit.

How about some horn type instrument that leaders can equip... when you blow the horn your troop gets an extra 2 or 3.. 4? inches movement for that activation. To facilitate the "oh crud, run!" moments. Nevermind, I want that for the Dwarves.

It would make sense for the Elves to get unique bows that boost RAV and perhaps impart ranged SA's on the cheap. i.e. not 75 points for +2 RAV, more like 60 points or something. Making it unique helps it to not get out of hand. Perhaps the bows could "over-ride" the range on the data card. i.e. a really powerful bow might need to be shorter ranged for balance reasons, so if you gave it to Eawod he'd lose some range, but gain a higher RAV.

Maybe camo cloaks for the elves, 5 points each, non-unique, that gives them an additional point of cover bonus to their DV whenever they're in woods of any sort? I'm picturing a cloak weaved out of grasses and leaves that would blend in. That ought to mesh nicely with their ability to move unhindered through heavy woods, and would certainly allow them to be even nastier while shooting from the edge of a stand of heavy woods.

Great ideas Tavis. Magical Arrows should use the RAV of the shooter instead of CP to make up for the HUGE range advantage over the normal spell's range. They should probably cost at least 1.5 times the spell's normal cost as well. Still kind of powerful to ba able to shoot off a Firestorm at 30"!! :blink:

Never minding the fact that your Elven Warlord Archer of Death could then drop three seperate Firestorms in the same turn.

Any way the Elves don't deserve Bane Arrows (or <poncy elven voice> "Arrows of Slaying" <\pouncy elven voice>) them's for us Dwarves and no other buggers goin' get them unless it straight between their eyes, see.

Items like

Bow Of Distance Add an additional 6" to your archer's range

Bow Of Quickness grants the user the Defensive shot SA

would be more along the lines

Tim

oh, so many replies to make. First the disclaimer, as I said these are the half-asleep/half-awake musings of a man on pain medication . . . semi-delusional? Yes. Out of the realm of possibility? Not entirely.

Ok, time to reply then add some more crazyness.

@Ravenwolf. . .magical arrows will have to use the RAV but instead of going against someone's DV have it go against their MD. You are going to have to roll a 7+ when going up against your average warrior with a MD of 10. If you had it as RAV vs DV then there would be no point to it, you could then just launch a volley and try your luck with that, against high DV targets with deflect your chances of hitting would be exactly the same as before. A couple ways to change it. . .shrink the AOE of some of the spells so a lightning bolt only goes for 6", a fireball has a 2" diameter instead of a 4" diameter, yeah that could work cut them AOE in half for the arrows. that way your wasting the points on the spells but not taking out as many as you could if you let the enemy close.

our ideas on the concentrated volley aren't that far apart. you are requiring the model to lose movement and in my example they lost movement as well . . .i jsut didn't say it, exactly. I was looking at the concentrated volley like the regular volley in that it relies on actual number of arrows going at your target. with the regular volley you need 20+ shots to get the 5" PPOD. normally that's 10 archers who use marksman to get their second shot. same thing with the concentrated volley, you need many shots going down range in order to get the benefit. i don't like the idea of capping the support bonus but if you had to to balance it, sure.

no doubt it is powerful, but like you said limit the models to the faction. so you have Eawod as the warlord, selwyn (captain), meridh (sergeant), caerwyn (hero), niriodel (cleric) vale archers, and vale warriors available to you, maybe through in the centaurs as solos or do the centaurs as solos or elites like the onyx chevy in the legion sublist. no breakers, deathseekers, or longthorns.

@rcrosby. . .the ability to counter swarms comes form the magical arrows. . .which can only be used by leaders, elites, or solos. your average archer isn't going to have a quiver full of arrows of slaying and such. let the archers shoot at as many targets as possible while your leader is launching little bombs of death.

@jdripley . . .your just jealous :lol: . actually that was in a different post. . .allow the elves to create a small stand of heavy woods. . .your archers are out in the open firing on the enemy and then disappear as the woods grows up around them.

@sage . . .i've addressed the issue of AOE and the magical arrows above, (limiting to leaders and such/smaller AOEs). the dwarves are getting their bane for free basically, sure you move slower but through in musician and you move just as fast as the elves. . .not impressed. . .go back to drinking beer :wow: . just kidding. besides arrows of slaying shouldn't be wasted on single track models. . .they cost points and should only be used against the multi-track heavies. Defensive shot cost too much, just look at the skeeters from Reven (60 point archers with a 24" range), no thanks, same with the bow of distance. sure you could give it to a leader model, but to outfit and entire troop of 6 archers, it's a waste of points.

Additional musings on Elven equipment.

New Elven Warlord model. Haven't come up with a name yet, but the concept is. Druid/Dryad model cleric 3/12 maybe 3/14. that's all i really remember about her from last night. . .i know she had an innate AOE of some kind non-damaging, usable on friendly models only. . .but that's about it. oh yeah ::D: ::D: ::D: See below for cheesey goodness.

Her SAs: Cleric 3/12 (or 3/14), Defensive Magic, Deflect (she's part of a tree), Holy, Innate Spell (Barkskin), Regenerate/1, Spy, Tactician, Tough/3

Innate spell Barkskin: models within 3" of warlord when spell is cast gain +1DV and deflect for one round. I thought about having it be +2DV without deflect, but thought that would be too much :lol: .

Regenerate/1: while in light/heavy woods this model regenerates one wound per round.

I will look at making a data card at some other time.

She would be the third subfaction leader for the elves, but you would have to come up with a host of new models. . .fairies, brownies, sprites, satyr, fauns, etc. . .and make it the fey branch of the elven army.

A couple of things to remember:

1. Elves already get cover bonuses for standing behind a paperclip.

2. Elves already get sure shot that allows them to shoot thru keyholes without any sort of penalty. If they see even a sliver of your base they can fire with no penalties.

3. They already have a 30" range with archers starting off with ranger which on the average table gets 90% of the table in range the opening turn.

Personally, I think the elves are going to be the hardest for Reaper to create a book for. They already have so much, that it will be tough to give them more without breaking them.

If anything, I might see them coming up with a scheme like the Crusaders, whree they might have to give up some of those above abilities to gain some other yet un-named ability.

I can see elves with a Run n Gun type special ability, let's call it "Mobility"

Allow them to split their movement around a Ranged attack.

ex: Archer runs 3 inches, Fires, runs to the next cover 4 inches away. Defensive Shots are made at the point of the Elven player making his Ranged attack. If he is wounded and has multiple tracks, adjust Mov accordingly. If it's a last track, he's stunned or dead as appropriate at that spot. Elf suffers a -1 for every Ranged Attack made while being Mobile. So a standard Elf Archer would be able to make attacks at RAV 2. You ask why would anyone do this? What if you are comfortably behind a wall, completely out of LOS to a target and they to you. Pop out, shoot and pop back.

What about a Bow that grants Critical Shot? Grants Defensive Shot?

How about a Bow that allows Critical Damage like CAV. Roll a natural 10, it's a hit, and roll again. You do an additional point of damage for every point over the Target's DV you make on this second roll.

EX: Archer with RAV 3 attacks Target with DV 10+Deflect = 11. Archer rolls natural 10. Hit. Rolls for Critical Hit. Second roll is an 8. Does 1 extra point of damage for total of 2. Second roll is a 9. Does 2 extra points of damage for a total of 3. Etc. Etc. Etc.

A couple of things to remember:

1. Elves already get cover bonuses for standing behind a paperclip.

2. Elves already get sure shot that allows them to shoot thru keyholes without any sort of penalty. If they see even a sliver of your base they can fire with no penalties.

3. They already have a 30" range with archers starting off with ranger which on the average table gets 90% of the table in range the opening turn.

Personally, I think the elves are going to be the hardest for Reaper to create a book for. They already have so much, that it will be tough to give them more without breaking them.

If anything, I might see them coming up with a scheme like the Crusaders, whree they might have to give up some of those above abilities to gain some other yet un-named ability.

oh these are just drug induced musings . . .but,

cover bonuses are great, but when you have low dv models to start with your just leveling the playing field really. most of the warrior types out thee have a base DV10, while the elves have 9. throw your warriors into the woods and now you have a 10 in light an 11 in heavy. a bull orc archer has a RAV2 and 30" range so he needs a 8+ to hit the warrior in light woods or a 9+ on the warrior in heavy woods. compare the numbers to an elf shooting at an Overlord warrior DV11 or Reptus warrior 11+Deflect. the elf needs 8+ vs the overlord and a 9+ vs the Reptus. when those warriors make it into b2b they are going to crush the little DV9 elf warriors.

sure shots nice, but with lots of high DV targets that you can't stack your attack against (like in melee) you need that 9 or 10 just to do anything.

i don't know about other players but i'm not going to ranger my dv7 archers any closer to the enemy than the edge of my deployment zone other archers with 30" range (reven and darkspawn) only need 5's to take them out, while I need 7+ vs the Reven archers and 6+ vs the darkspawn (who have marksman too).

i'd rather have a concentrated volley than a AOE volley, if a new subfaction has to lose volley for something that let's me add addition support to a RAV i'm for it.

@Qwyk . . .i love the run and gun idea!!! ::D:

More musings. . .

Reincarnation: Here you have a 3" AOE 75pt spell that brings all undead back to life. . .as a peasant or forest creature. i was toying around with the idea of creating a chart that you would roll a d10 on with choices of peasant, warrior, archer, etc.

Arrow of True Death: my snub towards dark energy :devil:, the elves with their hatred of undead can now shoot them and send them to their final rest, no tough or DE checks allowed.

maybe i should lay off the pain killers.

"Tree House"

At any point in the game, elf players may opt to construct a Tree House. This takes all of a troop's actions. Once constructed the elves may retreat to the tree house for cups of warm tea and the singing of happy songs. Elves in a tree house will not re-enter the fight because it's just so dandy to drink tea and sing happy songs, but opposing armies are repulsed by the singing so much that they will not attack. They must mutter, shake their heads, and leave.

and fudge stripped cookies, don't forget the fresh baked fudge stripped cookies, baked by elves in trees.....

:upside::rolleyes:

@sage . . .i've addressed the issue of AOE and the magical arrows above, (limiting to leaders and such/smaller AOEs). the dwarves are getting their bane for free basically, sure you move slower but through in musician and you move just as fast as the elves. . .not impressed. . .go back to drinking beer :wow: . just kidding. besides arrows of slaying shouldn't be wasted on single track models. . .they cost points and should only be used against the multi-track heavies. Defensive shot cost too much, just look at the skeeters from Reven (60 point archers with a 24" range), no thanks, same with the bow of distance. sure you could give it to a leader model, but to outfit and entire troop of 6 archers, it's a waste of points.

Still dropping three smaller firestorms/fireballs in one turn, is still damn impressive, no mage can do that.

By not wasting arrows of slaying on single track models, are they suddenly wiping out more than one track?

Mind you thinking about the arrows, what do expect to happen on a volley, especially if more than one person in the volley wants to use the special arrows? e.g. Silverrain with Niriodel and another Cleric all fire in a volley with "fireball" arrows?

As to outfitting an entire troop, the bows I suggested would only go to leaders, elites and solos, you just might want defensive shot on one of your troops. As yet I don't know of any other troop enhancement other than standard and musician (ok, I've only currently got the Necropolis book)

Tim