Painting mishaps - tell your stories

sniffles

I have two, both involving things exploding in a way.

First is a can of silver spray paint, was gonna prime some terrain for 40k with it, put the screw driver in to pop cap off. Pressed to hard and punctured the can, I still have shoes covered in silver paint, and a table, and my xbox, and my cat, and a couple of minis.

The other is a vallejo paint bottle, the cap was completely clogged. Instead of removing cap and clearing the clog I squeezed REAL hard and shot said cap across the room. Orange paint, and not a muted orange, we're talking almost saftey orange, spots everywhere. Jacket, xbox,shoes, tv,stereo,and probably the cat.

I keep this up I can sell the apartment as modern art, and probably the cat too. She runs and hides now when ever I approach the painting table, wonder why? ::D:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a big 32 oz bottle for general purpose use and storage, and a smaller 4 oz one I use for day to day jobs and travel.

The 4 oz one is very easy to knock over if you're not careful.

The 32 oz one, you have to try to knock it over.

Oh trust me you can knock over the 32 ozer... at least I managed it!

Note to self: If I ever try W&N brush cleaner, always keep the lid on when not in use!

I've run into the clogged tips with Vallejo bottles, just like Bilesuck. But luckily I haven't sent any paint squirting all over my living room - yet. :;):

I'm lazy about clearing the tips of my RMS bottles when they get clogged. I'm usually in a time crunch.

I paint using a pad of disposable paper palettes, so when I get a clogged RMS bottle I just pull off the tip and set it on my palette. There's usually enough paint on the underside to cover whatever it was I wanted to paint with that shade. ::D:

Before I went into the sales part of chemistry, I worked in the lab. I used to drop my minis I wanted to strip in a beaker of circut board screen ink solvent (this stuff will strip anything). One of my lab partners ran out of space in her corner of the lab, so decided to use my area. I wasn't paying attention and dropped my mini in her beaker which was filled with a potant oxidizing solution containing 40% peroxide. Aside from the painful (and thankfully temporary) burn of the Peroxide, the metal caused the oxidizer to foam up and over the sides of the beaker. A mad rush ensued to contain the spill and dilute the chemical before it seeped in a crack somewhere and lit the building on fire (as oxidizers tend to do). I quit stripping minis in the lab after that.

Before I went into the sales part of chemistry, I worked in the lab. I used to drop my minis I wanted to strip in a beaker of circut board screen ink solvent (this stuff will strip anything). One of my lab partners ran out of space in her corner of the lab, so decided to use my area. I wasn't paying attention and dropped my mini in her beaker which was filled with a potant oxidizing solution containing 40% peroxide. Aside from the painful (and thankfully temporary) burn of the Peroxide, the metal caused the oxidizer to foam up and over the sides of the beaker. A mad rush ensued to contain the spill and dilute the chemical before it seeped in a crack somewhere and lit the building on fire (as oxidizers tend to do). I quit stripping minis in the lab after that.

I think this wins for "Most dangerous to other people award" :blink:

I've had a couple of minor mishaps lately with removing minis from my improvised painting stands. I attach them to the rectangular plastic boxes that Chessex and Crystal Caste dice come in. I recently started using double-sticky mounting tape at Jubilee's suggestion. But I've found it sometimes takes extra care to remove the mini when it's done.

Oops. That's how the aformentioned model's arm got out of shape and the paint chipped in a large section.. :P

I usually use an exacto knife or one of the long, thin sculpting tools to pop the mini off the tape.. :)

Sorry I never mentioned that part! :)

/ali

ps. I learned it from Marike, so blame her.. >: )

Last night I managed to stab myself in the finger with a piece of brass wire that I was using to pin an arm on a mini.

My current pinning method is to attach a long piece of brass rod to the part, then after the glue has dried, cut to desired length.

Before I would cut off a pin the desired length, but lost a few of them when they went flying off after cutting. As a result, I was in the habit of holding the rod against my fingertip when cutting - it wouldn't fly off, but had a 50:50 chance of staying stuck in my fingertip. I'd leave it there until I was ready to glue it in place.

Over dullcoated a finished mini.... then tried to hurry the drying process with a blowdryer.

The dullcoat bubbled up and sort of "melted" off. Sorta looked like the whole thing was dipped in super glue.

It's soaking right now. :blush:

So for some reason I wake up at 4 am this morning. I make some coffee, catch up on the boards, poke around eBay, and decide to take advantage of the quiet and paint. So I grab three stands of Armored Rifle Infantry and spend about 6 hours getting them painted up in a nice urban camo. All that was left was to paint the edge of the hex base black. The kids have been pretty good about leaving my painting stuff alone so I didn't think anything about leaving them out while I take care of other things around the house. Fast forward a few hours, I walk by the paint table and notice that things aren't where I left them. Upon closer inspection the heads, shoulders and machine guns on all 12 figures have been tastefully top coated with the gray craft paint I used on the bases so heavily that the space between the shoulder pad are completely filled in, even over the chest. I'm not sure which of the three Self-Propelled Domestic Destruction Units (kids able to walk) is responsible, but my bet is the 2yr old.

Hmm - the most recent one I had was I was working on pinning a GW Imperial Guard figure's arms on at mattmcl's paint get together. I was so busy talking that I managed to drill right through the arm and into my finger with the pin vice.

I can see doing that with a Dremmel, but a pin vise? Dude, that takes talent.

No, I've done this too...

Boys and Girls, this is a prime example of why to use a MANUAL pin vice instead of an electric/motorized one! ::P:

All joking aside, that had to hurt! While cutting a mini off it's base using my dremmel I managed to sand my finger nail down . . . on the cutter.

So for some reason I wake up at 4 am this morning. I make some coffee, catch up on the boards, poke around eBay, and decide to take advantage of the quiet and paint. So I grab three stands of Armored Rifle Infantry and spend about 6 hours getting them painted up in a nice urban camo. All that was left was to paint the edge of the hex base black. The kids have been pretty good about leaving my painting stuff alone so I didn't think anything about leaving them out while I take care of other things around the house. Fast forward a few hours, I walk by the paint table and notice that things aren't where I left them. Upon closer inspection the heads, shoulders and machine guns on all 12 figures have been tastefully top coated with the gray craft paint I used on the bases so heavily that the space between the shoulder pad are completely filled in, even over the chest. I'm not sure which of the three Self-Propelled Domestic Destruction Units (kids able to walk) is responsible, but my bet is the 2yr old.

Man that bites! I once was finishing up a mini when I spilled my pot of red paint all over the mini, myself and the table. And I had it open just to touch up a spot. Needless to say, I covered the spot . . . and the rest of the mini.