Sign in to follow this  
FleeingMonkey

Questions for CAV

Questions for CAV

Facing and Arcs of Fire: I saw no information on facing, are all of your figures considered to be 360? You can shoot form any angle, or only from a front arc?

Counter Battery SA

Can you Defensive fire a target you cannot see with your IA weapon.

Close Combat

In the book it sounds like you continue CC until one side wins, But is this per activation, or all in 1 activation. (each activation you do 1 round of CC or do you do all the CC right away till a side is dead.) The reason why I ask is because in the movement section it says you can Move out of B2B if you do not use a Close Combat Action, So it sounds like each activation you do a round of CC. (hope I am clear on this)

Ranged Combat

I didn’t see anything stating on how many of what weapons you can fire, and I take it each weapon is only 1 shot. But can you shoot each weapon at two different targets, or if they are combined weapons can they only fire at 1 weapon? Like a Maxim 1: DA x2, do you have to shoot both weapons into 1 target or can they split? Also is there a negative for splitting fire?

Some of these questions are because I play some other games and I am use to some of the rules being there, and I wanted to double check. I do have to say I love the new book, I like the fluff, and the rules were really good till Close Combat, which is where I started to get confused if it all happened at one time till something died or if it was per activation you do a round of combat till something dies (like in warlord)

Let me guess, you played or play Battletech? Most of us have or still do. :blues:

Questions for CAV

Facing and Arcs of Fire: I saw no information on facing, are all of your figures considered to be 360? You can shoot form any angle, or only from a front arc?

There are no firing arcs in CAV. However, if a weapon is listed with the NRF SA, it can only fire in the front 180 degrees of the model.
Counter Battery SA

Can you Defensive fire a target you cannot see with your IA weapon.

Only if the model has an IA weapon with the Counterbattery SA.
Close Combat

In the book it sounds like you continue CC until one side wins, But is this per activation, or all in 1 activation. (each activation you do 1 round of CC or do you do all the CC right away till a side is dead.) The reason why I ask is because in the movement section it says you can Move out of B2B if you do not use a Close Combat Action, So it sounds like each activation you do a round of CC. (hope I am clear on this)

CC goes until either all attacking models are dead or the target is dead, all occuring in the activation that CC was initiated. This is what makes infantry so deadly.
Ranged Combat

I didn’t see anything stating on how many of what weapons you can fire, and I take it each weapon is only 1 shot. But can you shoot each weapon at two different targets, or if they are combined weapons can they only fire at 1 weapon? Like a Maxim 1: DA x2, do you have to shoot both weapons into 1 target or can they split? Also is there a negative for splitting fire?

You can fire all your weapons with a single ranged attack. The stipulation is that a model can not fire both IA and DA weapons in the same activation.
Some of these questions are because I play some other games and I am use to some of the rules being there, and I wanted to double check. I do have to say I love the new book, I like the fluff, and the rules were really good till Close Combat, which is where I started to get confused if it all happened at one time till something died or if it was per activation you do a round of combat till something dies (like in warlord)

Hope that helps.

Ranged Combat

You can fire all your weapons with a single ranged attack. The stipulation is that a model can not fire both IA and DA weapons in the same activation.

You can select diffrent targets with each weapon correct? And even if the weapon is x2 you can shoot each shot at diffrent targets?

Close Combat

CC goes until either all attacking models are dead or the target is dead, all occuring in the activation that CC was initiated. This is what makes infantry so deadly.

Then why the rule about if you did not use a CC action you can move away from B2B, you never would stay or be in B2B with an enemy? Page 80 under Leaving Base to Base Contact (so that rule would never exsist I would think)

You theoretically could be in B2B without declaring close combat. Let's say your passing an enemy stand down an alley or tight corridor and you run out of movement adjacent to an enemy model but neither of you engage in a Close Combat previous to your next activation. You could then move out of B2B.

edited to make more sense.

Or maybe you're using a banged up model to keep an enemy model from moving through a tight area. If you start CC it'll probably die, but just standing there blocks his way.

Forgot about the multiple targets, yes, you can engage multiple targets without penalty.

Close combat

This is one of the area thats confuse as well as incomplete.

First off, upon making B2B contact the attacking model must declare whether or not it will instigate CC. Secondly if the attacker gains a support bonus for every friendly model also engaged in CC with the target. (this is why infantry are dangerous, you can get up to six inf models to base a single CAV and gain +5 bonus to their CCV for all 6 attacks.) Each attacker in CC may attack once. Then the defender may strike once back at one target. All damage is then applied after all CC attack have been performed. CC ends at the end of the activiation. So the next activiation the defend could break B2B contact and move away as long as it does not instigate CC that activiation.

Close combat

This is one of the area thats confuse as well as incomplete.

First off, upon making B2B contact the attacking model must declare whether or not it will instigate CC. Secondly if the attacker gains a support bonus for every friendly model also engaged in CC with the target. (this is why infantry are dangerous, you can get up to six inf models to base a single CAV and gain +5 bonus to their CCV for all 6 attacks.) Each attacker in CC may attack once. Then the defender may strike once back at one target. All damage is then applied after all CC attack have been performed. CC ends at the end of the activiation. So the next activiation the defend could break B2B contact and move away as long as it does not instigate CC that activiation.

From my understanding of the rules, that's a bit off...problem parts highlighted in red, addressed below:

...For Close Combats that involve more than one attacking Model, choose one of your attacking Models to be the Primary Attacker...You will only roll once using the Primary Attacker's CCV and DV for calculating Close Combat results.

p 97

Repeat from step 3 until either the defending Model is destroyed, or all of the attacking Models are destroyed.

p 96; step 3 is the attack portion of close combat resolution. So CC will be over, because there will be no B2B contact left...there shouldn't be anything alive to break with.

Secondly if the attacker gains a support bonus for every friendly model also engaged in CC with the target. (this is why infantry are dangerous, you can get up to six inf models to base a single CAV and gain +5 bonus to their CCV for all 6 attacks.) Each attacker in CC may attack once. T

This is incorrect.

You nominate one model to be a Primary Attacker and get one attack from this model with its CCV +1 for every secondary model supporting it.

Alright EE so CC is nothing like warlord, you just keep going at it till someone dies.

Now if your main attacker dies, and you have 2 other bases supporting, do you keep continueing on to them? Or once the main attacker dies everyone supporting dies? Or does the combat end for this activation and the other two bases can do CC the next activation they are in?

Thanks for the help on this guys I swear almost done here, just trying to figure this out.

You can change the primary attacker between each round of dice rolls, including if your original primary attacker dies. As long as there's a model from each side in contact, the combat continues.

Secondly if the attacker gains a support bonus for every friendly model also engaged in CC with the target. (this is why infantry are dangerous, you can get up to six inf models to base a single CAV and gain +5 bonus to their CCV for all 6 attacks.) Each attacker in CC may attack once. T

This is incorrect.

You nominate one model to be a Primary Attacker and get one attack from this model with its CCV +1 for every secondary model supporting it.

oops :unsure:

Was the rest of my answer correct?

Alright EE so CC is nothing like warlord, you just keep going at it till someone dies.

Now if your main attacker dies, and you have 2 other bases supporting, do you keep continueing on to them? Or once the main attacker dies everyone supporting dies? Or does the combat end for this activation and the other two bases can do CC the next activation they are in?

Thanks for the help on this guys I swear almost done here, just trying to figure this out.

CC goes until either all attackers are destroyed or the target of the attack is destroyed.

CC goes until either all attackers are destroyed or the target of the attack is destroyed.

That's rather unbalanced. No wonder peole are finding infantry to be so deadly.

In that case I could take a section of six Spartans and keep baseing everthing to death. Let's see a bonus of 5 for support on top of a CCV of 3 for 8 against a 14 DV of a rhino? All I need is a 6 to hit. The Rhino gets a return of strike with a CCV of 1 against a DV of 10. The Rhino may take out one Spartan by the end.

The rule also goes against the flow of the rest of the game much less against RAGE as a game system.

That's rather unbalanced. No wonder peole are finding infantry to be so deadly.

In that case I could take a section of six Spartans and keep baseing everthing to death. Let's see a bonus of 5 for support on top of a CCV of 3 for 8 against a 14 DV of a rhino? All I need is a 6 to hit. The Rhino gets a return of strike with a CCV of 1 against a DV of 10. The Rhino may take out one Spartan by the end.

The rule also goes against the flow of the rest of the game much less against RAGE as a game system.

Better yet a pack of chieftains.

It quickly becomes apparent that with smoke strikes and massed CC by any cheap fast unit with at least a CC ability at all CAV 2.0 is not a shooting game anymore. CC is king for the fast takedown.

Sure a Rhino or Mastadon can zap you with a chance for a critical 1 out of 5 shots. But 2 spartans and 3 stiletto's or 2 hedgehogs with 2 armored infantry, shock, satchel either with a couple of smoke strikes are the same cost and they will take them down pretty much everytime by turn 2 or 3 without ever giving the CAV a chance to shoot except indirect.

Giving the CAV Avenger helps against Infantry but its still a poor proposition. And Avenger does no good at all against spartans or the like.

CC should have a fixed number of rounds. Possibly more than 1, maybe 2 or (iffy) 3. Or make it so CC attacks can only be initiated by infantry. Making infantry still scary but not death on stumpy little legs.

Lets take the game back from a CC dominated rule set please. Let the poor CAV break off and do what they do best. Laydown mobile firepower, not bang away on each other like a bad saturday morning cartoon.

M