Sign in to follow this  
FleeingMonkey

Questions for CAV

....but at around 2000 points it's difficult to take rocks, papers, and scissors. It can be done, but you'll end up with mediocre to poor performance in all three.

You beat me to it! :angry:

I was about to say, "CAV is a game of Paper, rock, scissors and they're 1,500 points each." :lol:

Different subject to CC and infantry but still a question, what has the Gladiator II eneded up as in terms of type of CAV ? I don't need to know all it stats I just want to know is it still a hard target killer or do I need to throw most of my CAV force away as they are no longer worth fielding ?

I'll admit that at first I was pretty dissappointed with the Glad II. Like you it was my unit of choice for CAV1. The final edition made one small tweak (upped the piercing on the DFM) and honestly now I really like it. It is inexpensive and well rounded and if you team it up with a Crusader it can kick some booty. Ironically, it is very good for destroying the transports everyone keeps griping about. Teamed up with a Crusader you can have 4 +6 shots at hard targets at 24", but what I like to do is upgrade the DFM to piercing 3 (with a Templar army use the pimped rides) and then you have two +8 shots at 32" and because of the Smart SA, yes that's right boys and girls, two +7 shots out to 64" :wub: . Good all around unit when used in a team.

?????

Actually I rather like the Glad II. If my mini budget were a little higher I'd be buying one or two this month to supplement my Dictators. It's got an ok range, but where I think it's use comes in is the Salvo Strike. With a total of four weapons it's going to get a +6 mod for Salvo Strike against any target hard or soft. If you boost the piercing value, it'll be +8 vs hard targets. If the target's been whittled down some it'll get four attacks for one activation all at +3 vs hard. Not stellar, but if the target's already damaged it doesn't need much, especially if there's an EST unit nearby.

Gladiators are the backbone of my army I have a lot of them and not many other CAVs because the fluff said that they were the main Superiority CAV of the Terran army. Where does that leave me now need to build a whole new force .... no thanks.

I think the Gladiator is even more of a mainstay than it used to be. It does what the old Starhawk V used to do: solid against all targets.

As a soft target killer it excels, because it has 4 DAs, each with a good anti-Soft number. Teamed into Salvo shots it'll put a pop on anybody, and at excellent range. Against hard targets, the 4 DAs means the Salvo shot has a good chance against even the hardest targets, and once there's a chink in the armor, the 4 DAs individually are credible attacks.

It'll no longer go head to head with a Dictator (tho it's not far behind) but I'll be using mine regularly.

PS

I was a bit dissapointed that on a per-vehicle basis, CAV2 plays fast and loose with the background.

Gladiators are the backbone of my army I have a lot of them and not many other CAVs because the fluff said that they were the main Superiority CAV of the Terran army. Where does that leave me now need to build a whole new force .... no thanks.

If you told me I could take 1 and only 1 open-market attack CAV, I would probably pick the Gladiator.

PS

I cant really comment on Glads as I dont have any. I cant really comment on whether or not you loaded up on one model type and not a more balanced force.

Only thing I can comment on is that CAV has all along been advertised as a combined arms, balanced arms, rock paper scissors type of game. Its just taken 3 versions of the game to get it where all three parts of those rock paper scissors to be fairly balanced and note worthy separate from each other. Even if Glads were teh exact same as they were in CAV1 or 1.5 (whichever variant you were hoping for), they would still only fit 1/3 of the rock paper scissor mold and if that is all you field you would still have to pray that your opponents only brought their weakness to a game.

I cant tell you whether to stay in the game or not, obviously you care cause you are here talking about it. If you are gonna stay you are gonna have to realize that it doesnt matter what the Glad looks like, you are gonna have to open up your thinking in CAV 2.0 to a balanced group, with the occassional overload instead of the opposite. Well, I guess you wont have to if your opponent is also dead set on fielding their weakness everytime for you.

I could see the Gladiator fitting in pretty nicely in a Terran Task Force actually. Its slower than the Dictator 60 and some of the newer CAVs, but as an older model it should be. As even so, it'll fit nicely in with the slower Terran CAVs. Plus its got above average DV for an Open Superiority model.

You really need to play a few games Stuart before you dismiss the game without even trying it. Since you're asking about the model, I'm guessing that you still haven't bought the rules or even downloaded the free data cards to look them over, right? Well one of the main changes that you'll find with CAV 2 is that Soft targets are going to be a lot more abundant on table tops now, so CAVs like the Glad II, which can handle both Hard and Soft targets are going to be even more valuable.

I was a bit dissapointed that on a per-vehicle basis, CAV2 plays fast and loose with the background.

Yes they did, but they said they were going to do that 3+ years ago when the whole CAV 2 concept began. Their goal from the get-go was that all Models would be useful and playable, not just the small handful of CAVs that everyone was playing at the time. I think that Ed and Michael did a really good job of defining attributes for the different weapon types and then balancing the rest of the model with its weapons to make each model different, yet useful.

Are there going to be some that people disagree with? (Hawk 6, Gladiator, Hedgehog?) Sure, but that's the cost of re-creating a game line. Remember that Reaper didn't retool CAV just b/c they had a hair up their butt, they did it because CAV sales were in the tank. Part of the reason for that was b/c a majority of the models just didn't sell b/c they were worthless in the old environment. If they'd kept every model "as is" for fluff, they'd still be in the same boat, with inventory that wouldn't move. Hopefully now with the changes, they'll see some of those old products begin to sell and generate revenue, which will of course eventually lead to more new models.

My force was based on the fluff of CAV 1.0. My main force is based around Gladiators for hard target killing, Sovereigns and Sultans for IF, Harpies and Tsuiekis for aircover. Infantry with an assortment of weapons to fill the gaps. Sabres and Despots rounded it off. Despots only because at the time no other tank was available and it looks so darn good. My force used a lot of H-M units as the background stats the Humans made good use of them. The sultan was an exception because it was so good stat wise.

So I think I covered all the bases quit nicely. I didn't use anti soft CAVs, A Because I knew my opponent and B. I filled that role with other units, mainly I took soft units to kill soft targets. Once my Aircraft gained air superiority they would wipe out the enemy in short order.

Well if your main concern is still matching the fluff, instead of playing with the models that you like, then yes, you're going to have a to change a lot of your army. The fluff also mentions that of the 37,000 or so Gladiator II's ever produced, only about 9000 are still operational and that no new Glad II's have been produced in half a decade. Considering that its 35 years old and outmatched by newer Superiority models like the 70 Dictator, Tiger or Mantis, its a no-brainer that the Terrans would have to upgrade their front-line units, thus the Ronin and Hawk 6.

All good points Chrome.

SOldcorn, that still sounds like a well rounded force.