Sign in to follow this  
ograx

Can a bad artist paint minis?

And then there's Talin who can draw and paint. :grr:

I think Tim would disagree with you on the painting part, but don't let him fool you. It wasn't a fluke that he won the staff category at ReaperCon last year.

I've got a fine arts degree and I work as a graphic designer. I think it's a massive advantage, but then again look at my work next to some of the others here with no training or experience (outside of mini-painting). Technique is SO important with mini painting, and anyone can learn that. I'd suggest a learn to paint kit, they really helped me.

And then there's Talin who can draw and paint. :grr:

And dance, and act, and sing. Some people. <_< But he can't sew as well as I can, or sculpt like Werner. Hah! (I have a horrible time with anything in 2-D myself.)

No 'artistic' experience required. Honestly. Pretty much everything can be learned, from actual brushwork to color theory, concepts and design. You may have more to learn than someone with an art or craft background, but you won't have to unlearn or re-learn anything, either. Practice and patience are the most important factors.

--Jen

Rendering skills are only really important if you are drawing or painting in 2D. More so even for drawing. For painting minis they can be a plus for things like freehand but they are not very important over all.

Color theory is you friend. Most of your artistic choices will be based on the palet you chose for a mini or group of minis. A lot of novices don't even consider it. They just set all their paints on the table and go to town. Learn color theory and limmit your palet.

Technique. There are many. Explore as many as you can. Try to come up with your own.

Practice. More important than anything else. Most good mini painters would also blush at their first attempt. Don't be discouraged if it takes you some time to get better.

I can't draw much beyond stick figures either. Painting miniatures is very different. At a very basic level, if you can paint by numbers, you can paint miniatures. If you want to be really good at it, you need to learn to observe what other painters do, and copy them. :upside:

Well you guys definitely helped keep my confidence up during my first mini painting and I am very happy with my results.I made alot of mistakes on it but I am already on my second mini and can see my improvements.(If I find my camera cord I will post some pics.)

I have ordered a bunch of masters series paints and 3 how to paint kits from reaper.

All in all I am very pleased with my new hobby.

Thanks Guys!

It's funny that you ask that..I was thinking about asking the same question about a week ago.

I've been painting minis since Spring of 2006 and I feel like I'm off to a good start, but I'm far

from being what I would consider really good. I used to want to be able to draw/paint/etc. and

had no real skill for it.

At least with minis, I really enjoy doing it.

Just gotta practice more...

The past couple months i've been painting mass quantities of figures to play

in Warhammer 40K, it's been the quick & easy painting for me lately.

I look forward to focusing on improving my painting after my army is finished.

I've been thinking about this subject myself lately. I took drawing classes in college. My teacher swore up and down she could teach anyone to draw. It was simply a thing of learning the mechanical process of looking at an object and producing that on paper. Whether or not this could be called "art" was something else entirely.

The point is, there is an art to painting minis, and a craft to painting minis. The craft is all technique. So, yes, you can paint minis without being an artist, as long as you take the time to learn the craft.

In the beginning, nothing will help you more than hanging out with other painters. Whether you attend classes at a convention or just sit around with other painters at your LGS, you will learn more in an afternoon than you could with hours of web searching.

That's good advice.

Seeing the actual minis is really something too. I've been able to hold the minis of some amazing painters next to mine to compare- it's a lesson in humility as well, but you really SEE the technique that way.

I always considered myself to have no talent whatsoever when it came to any kind of art/craft work. It's only after having spent a number of years painting miniatures (an offshoot of RPG gaming) and developing a bit of skill and self-confidence that I've gone back and started making some progress with other art forms. I had always wanted to learn to draw decently, and after years of considering myself a hopeless case I've gone back and started turning out some relatively decent pieces. I couldn't quantify/describe what's changed in my approach to drawing on account of all the miniatures I've done, but it sure 'feels' as though something has come together for me.

Egad! Don't tell me I've actually learned something practical in all the time I've spent gaming . . . .

The Egg

From personal experience, the answer is yes. I cannot draw. I need a ruler to draw a straight line and my stick men are always lopsided. But I can paint minis. In simple terms, I like to consider painting minis akin to colouring in a colouring book. I can "paint within the lines". Of course, it's deeper than that because of shading and highlighting and whatnot. But all it takes is practice. Good hand-eye coordination, a steady hand and patience are key. Other than that, you really don't need to be able to draw at all. An eye for colour and shading/highlighting helps.

Welcome to the hobby! It will consume your soul... ^_^

Heather

Heck, I don't even have good hand-eye coordination and my hands shake like an electric massaging chair. Yet I mange to paint to a decent table-top level. Not going to win serious painting contests, but they look good to me.

It really is all about practice and patience. I think it also helps if you find someone out there who's work you really like and use that as inspiration and a way to set goals for yourself. When I first started painting I thought my work was great. Then I got on the boards here and found out quickly . . . I . . . well sucked! The first painter's stuff I saw and said, "Oooh I want to learn how to do that!" was Jen's work! Jen you are an amazing artist and I wish I could paint as well as you. In about two years time though, with the proper motivation and patience my painting has gotten so much better. Before that I didn't do hardly anything artsy related. I can sew, I can do "crafts", I built model airplanes and spaceships as a kid and I could draw a little better than stick figures. But I wasn't a really good artist by any means. Mini painting is about the only hobby where I am a great artist!