Sign in to follow this  
Chrome

Close Combat

I didn't want to take the Rules Update thread off-topic, but Outkast Samurai had a good idea for CC.

Infantry in CC are a nightmare but that really isn't a horrible thing. What I can see the problem being is that there is no way to leave CC other than dying or killing your attacker. I think that once the defender has wounded the attacker he should get a shot at breaking B2B.

So how about this?

If the Defender suffers a point of damage during a round of Close Combat, instead of performing a Defensive Strike, he can opt to opt to attempt to leave CC. The defender makes a 10+ Roll using his Exp (based on the beginning of CC) with a -1 penalty for each Attacker.

If successful, the Defender may move up to 4" (or his Mov, which ever is less) in any direction he may legally move. He may not move through the attacking models during this free movement.

After a Defender breaks B2B, the Active models may perform any Actions they have remaining.

So, since most models have an Exp of 5, they'd have to roll a 6+ to break contact against a single model. Against 3 attackers, they'd have to roll an 8+. Not only does this give the Defender a chance of getting out of CC, but it also forces the Attacker to focus his forces if he wants to tie down the attacker and have a chance of inflicting multiple points of damage. No more APC unloads and 3 Rifle Teams CC 3 different CAVs and kick butt.

i think that idea could use some valuable playtesting. It sounds like a good compromise that should make both sides happy.

Question tho, what happens if the defender fails the roll?

In warlord, failed break rolls give shaken tokens... Are you suggesting something happen in this situation? Or simply they did not break?

And if they fail are you suggesting that they should be able to attempt it after every sub round of a CC combat sequence?

You also mentione in the opening sentence that "if the attacker does damage"... what if the attacker does not do damage on his first attempt? Does the defense have to wait til the attacker finally does damage before trying to pull away?

Just a few brainstorm questions...

Personally , I wouldn't worry about what extra happens if the defender fails it roll to break because it going to get clobbered in the next round of CC . :rolleyes:

And if they fail are you suggesting that they should be able to attempt it after every sub round of a CC combat sequence?

You also mentione in the opening sentence that "if the attacker does damage"... what if the attacker does not do damage on his first attempt? Does the defense have to wait til the attacker finally does damage before trying to pull away?

Just a few brainstorm questions...

I really like Chrome's suggestions. The only drawback I can see is rolling after each round of CC might bog things down too much, but I like it overall. Edit: Of course the defender could decline to attempt to break combat.

I would guess though that even if there is no damage then you still get the chance to break contact.

I think I'd prefer that the defender is required to deal damage, then sacrifice the defensive strike for the breakaway attempt...yes, it's difficult, but I think it's a good representation of the effort required to break out. First you have to regain the initiative (dealing damage to the opponent) and then actually break away.

It's certainly worth some playtesting. Instead of a shaken token the sacrifice is giving up your defensive strike. I myself would lean towards the defender needing to inflict damage on the attacker. It would amount to the defender taking the initive away from the attacker long enough to get away. I think we'll be trying it both ways and see just how it works out.

what happens if the defender fails the roll?

The Models stay where they are and the Close Combat proceeds as it normally would.

The only drawback I can see is rolling after each round of CC might bog things down too much, but I like it overall.

Note that rolling to break contact is done instead of rolling for a Defensive Strike. So you're not adding any die rolls or making the combat take longer, you're simply making one kind of die roll instead of another.

You also mentione in the opening sentence that "if the attacker does damage"... what if the attacker does not do damage on his first attempt?

Yes, the defender can't attempt to break away until he has suffered a point of damage. This balances CC out by ensuring that the Attacker at least gets a little something out of it. Plus what kind of pansie CAV pilot would run away before they take any damage at all? (Hint, they're native to Breonne. :poke:)

what happens if the defender fails the roll?

The Models stay where they are and the Close Combat proceeds as it normally would.

The only drawback I can see is rolling after each round of CC might bog things down too much, but I like it overall.

Note that rolling to break contact is done instead of rolling for a Defensive Strike. So you're not adding any die rolls or making the combat take longer, you're simply making one kind of die roll instead of another.

You also mentione in the opening sentence that "if the attacker does damage"... what if the attacker does not do damage on his first attempt?

Yes, the defender can't attempt to break away until he has suffered a point of damage. This balances CC out by ensuring that the Attacker at least gets a little something out of it. Plus what kind of pansie CAV pilot would run away before they take any damage at all? (Hint, they're native to Breonne. :poke:)

Gotcha, that works for me.

But I am offended by your last comment, and would like you to sit down and think about it while I write a 52 page declaration of annoyance.

I like your suggestion Chrome. I think that I would prefer that the model trying to break would have to use his modified expertise number, not the starting number. Giving it a better than 50% chance the whole close combat doesn't seem right to me. The longer CC goes on, the more infantry are going to be climbing onto it and placing charges.

The rule would make shock very valuable. The infantry could unload for free and go right into Close Combat. If the target breaks, they still have a ranged attack to shoot as it runs away!

Castlebuilder

It does have a good sounds to it Chrome, most of the time if you have a big tank, or a big mech and you got little bugger infintry coming at you, one of the best ways to get rid of them is back up and shoot at them. I do personally think that CC should be altered some or last a little longer, or keep it to a round of CC per one of the units activations. This would tie up the combat, and tie up the little horde of infintry for most of the game, they can take down the CAV or might not, but they did there job, they kept it busy while everything else goes to work.

I do personally think that CC should be altered some or last a little longer, or keep it to a round of CC per one of the units activations. This would tie up the combat, and tie up the little horde of infintry for most of the game, they can take down the CAV or might not, but they did there job, they kept it busy while everything else goes to work.

I would think that if you made close combat last longer it would cause even more complaints about just how an infantry unit is able to pin down a tank or a CAV.

Castlebuilder