PPPM you'd like to see

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A set of generic horses, sans riders would be nice, too.

How many times have GMs ambushed parties at night, and have the whole camp mapped out/set up, figs for all the PCs lying in their beds, all the orc raiders encircling the camp, but no riderless horses to show where they're all tied up?

I used to use the GW plastic horses for this, but they broke too easily, plus I never got them painted up.

Then make some metal PC figs with unmounted and mounted versions of the same figure that fit the plastic horses.

A set of generic horses, sans riders would be nice, too.

How many times have GMs ambushed parties at night, and have the whole camp mapped out/set up, figs for all the PCs lying in their beds, all the orc raiders encircling the camp, but no riderless horses to show where they're all tied up?

I used to use the GW plastic horses for this, but they broke too easily, plus I never got them painted up.

Then make some metal PC figs with unmounted and mounted versions of the same figure that fit the plastic horses.

Just the horses would be enough for me. Before our most recent campaign started, I searched everywhere for riderless horses for just the use you mentioned. Most all I could find were out-of-scale from overseas, or in-scale from overseas for a lot of money, all of them Old West style. I finally managed to scrounge up a few medieval-looking horses from various packs from GW and others, but spent a good deal of money doing it.

We use Toob (Tube?) Horses, found at Michaels (probably other places as well). A little big, but passable (they fit in a 2x2 square). If Reaper was to do PP plastic mounts, have the base include a spot to "mount" a mini for the rider (I'll elaborate if you want me to).

As for me, lot's of stuff, but mostly...

Townsfolk (as mentioned, but I realize these don't sell as well as other minis)

Kobolds (you knew it was coming)

Rust Monster (ditto)

Giants (Hill or other, it's tough to cover a gang of Giants at $17+ a pop)

Warlord Grunts (all factions)

I think Dragons would sell well, despite how readily available they are in other ranges/forms.

More votes for:

Townsfolk/commoners

Giants, especially Fire & Stone (I bought a bunch of 60MM plastic Vikings I painted to use as Frost giants, but some more of those too, I guess)

Umber Hulk

Orc Archer (yeah!)

Arabian/Oriental/Aztec, etc type lines (solider types, PCs, shaman/wizard/commoners, etc)

Howler (and any other monster mini that appears in bunches but DDM line made as rares)

Cave troll (yeah! again)

Ice Troll (see Howler above)

Black Legion Troopers, etc.

My idea is an "RPG Starter pack." Myself, and I know there's others like me... like the concept of an RPG but find it a bit daunting to jump in and get started. The pack would have a small paperback book along the calibur of a faction book, but of course having the rules for a simple, short, easy role playing game - and have it include the miniatures you'd need for the adventure! Say, 4ish PC's, 10ish monsters, a boss monster which is bigger... 50-70 dollars.

It could be something simple like "go seek treasure in this cave place" where your party encounters goblins and the boss is a troll...

Basically a "get your foot in the door" rpg so that next time you're looking at the FLGS rack of RPG rules and supplements you aren't stuck saying "man that looks cool... but way over my head..." You can say "That looks cool, and since I did that Legendary Encounters dungeon crawl a week ago I think I could handle the next step."

Hey, it might even up sales in other areas for Reaper as more people take the plunge into RPG gaming.

My idea is an "RPG Starter pack." Myself, and I know there's others like me... like the concept of an RPG but find it a bit daunting to jump in and get started. The pack would have a small paperback book along the calibur of a faction book, but of course having the rules for a simple, short, easy role playing game - and have it include the miniatures you'd need for the adventure! Say, 4ish PC's, 10ish monsters, a boss monster which is bigger... 50-70 dollars.

You mean... close to the D&D Basic game?

4 PCs, 8 monsters including a larger boss monster (Large Blue Dragon), adventure book, PC sheets, dice, and cardboard map tiles... $24.95.

Cheers!

I don't think we'll see Reaper do PC figs.

Not only does that cut into their primary demographic of "your character in pewter", but it's a lot harder to a get a solid paintjob for a human than an orc, ogre, or skeleton.

I did a quick online price guide search, and here's what I came up with in terms of high-value D&D Miniatures monters. These are miniatures that people are willing to fork over $25 or more on Ebay to acquire -- presumably, they'd sell like hotcakes in a $5-10 form. I've excluded some of the very old figures if they've just had a newer cheaper version come out(ie. Displacer Beast)

Beholder/Eye Beast

Umber Hulk

Carrion Crawler

Large Chromatic Dragons, esp. Red

Devils - esp. Large Devils: Bone, Ice, Horned, and Pit Fiend. (Reaper, if you can convert Agramon, Pit Fiend to plastic -- DO SO! He blows the WotC one out of the water!)

Balor!

(Other demons actually aren't going for as much, oddly, though I'd love to see a Reaper take on the Marilith, since WotC screwed theirs up something awful)

Frost Giant

Fire Giant

(Hill and Stone Giants are fairly cheap, for some reason)

In terms of 'horde' monsters, the big one is by far:

Stirge. Everybody wants a ton of these things, and a pack of stirges would sell REALLY well, I'd bet.

Dire Rats could also be a good choice, and I expect Goblins are already in the pipeline, but WotC's commons have dampened a lot of enthusiasm for basic critters among a wide segment of the RPG audience.

So in summary, the types that appear to sell really well are:

Iconic aberrations

Norse Giants

Large Evil Dragons

Large Devils and Demons

It's hard to compete with D&D Miniatures commons that sell for 30 cents on Ebay(and make no mistake, that's what the orcs and skeletons are up against), but it's a lot easier to compete with $30-40 large rares when you can produce them in the $4-15 range. I'd argue your best efforts would be spent making the very desirable large RPG monsters, while filling in the ranks with dual-purpose plastic grunts that can also be used for Warlord.