Skorne box set (Hordes - PP)

Mengu

This is my fourth and final Hordes Box set. I painted them in the same scheme I did my Cannoneer a while back for No Quarter magazine. I wanted an unusual color for Skorne skin, but I'm not sure if I like it on Morghoul (he's the warlock dude in front), it looks too close to the metal color in the pictures, though under my light it was looking a little different. I may change it up a bit, but I want to still keep it a dark color. Comments are welcome as usual.

SkorneBox1.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well, love your style, and the painting is awesome. Blending and layering are top notch. Guess, I think its missing a third color. Needs something, maybe a red or turqouise blue in there somewhere. For whatever reason, just my personal more than likely too picky of an opinino, is that its kinda bland with the 95% tan based colors.

The colors and painting on these guys actually make them look attractive! I really hate them in red and gold for some reason..

The warlock's skin does look very similar to his blade-thingies, which is not necessarily a bad thing. It makes it seem kinda more creepy if those "blades" are really his hands. However, I would suggest adding some blue or purple to his flesh (maybe dark elf shadow?) to make it look different.

The bases look a bit unfinished to me.

/ali

I just have to say, these guys floored me. I wish I could effectively pull off something in such a limited pallette.

I do think the skin and blades are a bit close, and I agree with Jubilee about adding a hint of color to the skin (I'm leaning more toward something purple)...otherwise, wow. Thanks for sharing; makes me wish all the more that I could make it to RCon.

I'm quite tired of red from all the Khador I've been painting, so there was no way I was going to put any red on these guys. I wasn't too pleased with the official scheme for the Skorne anyway, with them stealing the Khador red and all...

However, I would suggest adding some blue or purple to his flesh (maybe dark elf shadow?) to make it look different.

Dark elf shadow is exactly what I used for shading, but for some strange reason, it's not coming across in the picture, maybe I glazed over it too much with the base color, I don't know.

The bases were an attempt at continuing the simplicity of the colors into the base. Maybe that too is failing. But I blame all the people who make these wonderfully elaborate bases, so anything simple doesn't look right any more...

Excellent work.

These Skorne remind me of Michael Moorcock's book The Dragon in the Sword, which includes a faction of eldritch warrior-women dressed in bone-colo(u)red armo(u)r. :;):

I like the texture that your yellows and browns give to the surfaces. I painted some Ral Partha elves as wearing ivory armor about ten years ago, in reference to the Moorcock book, but my skills weren't sufficient to get the texture right.

Derek