Filling holes

I recently acquired Mika from the Dark Heaven line. I don't plan on putting the banner pole on, but I still have to deal with the hole in the model's back where the pole is supposed to go. What's the best way to go about filling that in short of green stuff?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Elmers might not stick very well to the metal.

Using some Gel Zap A Gap would probably work fine. You also don't have to use Green Stuff. Any epoxy would work reasonably well to plug a hole. Alternatively, you could just cut yourself the plug directly from the flag pole you are planning to discard. A drop of superglue and most of the hole should be filled. Then just use a gel super glue to fill in the now smaller cracks. Essentially, you;re just cutting a bung out of pewter.

I know that green stuff is the stuff of choice, but I can't justify buying a full pack just to fill in this one hole.

Think I might try some Elmer's. Worst that happens is I scrape the stuff off.

Are you still going to Games Plus on Tuesdays? If so, PM me and I can bring either GreenStuff or the ultimate gap filler - Aves Apoxie Sculpt.

but I can't justify buying a full pack just to fill in this one hole.

Now don't get me wrong... I am a thrifty S.O.B (I am still using craft paints - well - I am getting real paint soon)...

But you will find a use for the rest of the green stuff. Just mix a wee little bit to fill the hole - and then the rest will keep. That being said - I bought some to do pants on a clay golem/hulk mod... And I am on my second batch of the stuff now... I use it for everything!!!

Except toothpaste... Cause that would be wrong.

If you don't want to do the green stuff... There is always milliput...

Or the testors gap filler (but it gets kind of crumbly)...

Or... um..

Is that the phone?

If you ever get a multipart model, or a slottatab that's wobbly in its slot, green stuff will be handy. Snag some from Eastman and keep the rest in the freezer. Ditto that you *will* use the rest at some point, and eventually you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. I tried to fill gaps with white glue when I was just beginning to paint. It doesn't work well.

(I like Apoxie Sculpt best, myself, for filling--you can scrape or sand it level with the model.)

--Jen

I know that green stuff is the stuff of choice, but I can't justify buying a full pack just to fill in this one hole.

Think I might try some Elmer's. Worst that happens is I scrape the stuff off.

Are you still going to Games Plus on Tuesdays? If so, PM me and I can bring either GreenStuff or the ultimate gap filler - Aves Apoxie Sculpt.

Actually Draxtar and I have a game planned for next Tuesday night.

Maybe this time I'll actually win :lol:

Cyanoacrylate (any of the "crazy", "zap", etc type glues) and baking soda can also be used to build up "mass".

I'm guessing you'd definitely have some CA glue for your mini prep. Go raid the kitchen for some baking soda (many use that to keep their fridges smelling nice :) ).

Build it up slowly. It's sand-able. I know RC plane guys use this trick as it's light-weight too...at least I think this was their trick :wacko:

Also, give the final coat a bit of time to dry before sanding with needle-files...you don't want to permanently clog up your files with wet CA.

Thanks

AWhang

Cyanoacrylate (any of the "crazy", "zap", etc type glues) and baking soda can also be used to build up "mass".

I'm guessing you'd definitely have some CA glue for your mini prep. Go raid the kitchen for some baking soda (many use that to keep their fridges smelling nice :) ).

Build it up slowly. It's sand-able. I know RC plane guys use this trick as it's light-weight too...at least I think this was their trick :wacko:

Also, give the final coat a bit of time to dry before sanding with needle-files...you don't want to permanently clog up your files with wet CA.

Thanks

AWhang

You know - if that's true (and not saying I doubt you)... that's about the handiest thing I have read all week!

Thanks for the tip!

Go to the adhesive section in any hardware store and you will find several types/brands of epoxy putty. Most cure fairly quick and are great for filling holes, fixing bases, and sculpting rocks for bases. Costs about $3.99 and will last quite awhile.

John Lee