Sign in to follow this  
LordColdsteal

Toadman by J. Weibe

Cool to see another toadman. I like your naturalistic approach very much (naturalistic as compared to the comic book sheme I chose for mine) and the base fits perfectly to your theme. I can really see toadie walking through the lonely swamp in search for more human bones to add to his basket.

I love it. The theme behind it is fantastic and you pull it all together very well. Nicely done. Very smooth as well.

This is a wonderful piece of work here. You managed to pick out all the little details and bring them out without overdoing it. The glossy slime look is a nice touch on this guy. The range of greens are great- the run of the spectrum- yet they are all obviously well matched to each other. The only thing that looks out of place is that there seems to be a lack of shadow on his body where he is holding the basket. Amazing work! How did you do the little armor bits? Those are my favorite feature on this guy. Keep it up.

-Dr. J

I'll echo a lot of what Dr. J had to say...I love the greens, and the armor he's wearing is lovely; the cloth you've done is a really nice contrast to those greens, and well done. That base is also some pretty spiffy work...not too cluttered, but clearly a muddy, swampy chunk of terrain.

My big critique isn't actually in the realm of your painting skills, but actually one of thematic consistency...the swordblade and the skulls in the basket, and to a lesser extent the basket itself, are all beautifully painted...but too clean for my tastes. I'm picturing this slimy fellow wandering through a swamp, picking up the bones of the fallen...bones picked up in a swamp would be covered in mud...even if he cleaned them off, they'd be stained a bit more. The sword is a bit trickier (and I have a lot less room to talk, since NMM is not my specialty in the least), but I'd like to see a darker metal, or perhaps a darker reflection. Again, these items are all beautifully painted, but I'd think a bit more...grunge?...maybe we'll just call it weathering...would be helpful in tying everything together.

As always, I'm really impressed by your work, and, as always, YMMV when it comes to my comments.

Amazing work! He really pops and looks very lifelike. My nitpick will be the grass. It looks too cleanly cut and managable. I'd rough it up a bit, making it fuzzier and more broken. Maybe some unevenness to the layers of the grass too.

Very good, nice base. I'd agree that the grass is very even for a wetland affect. The water came out good too.