New Guy

Thanks for those Quyk (edit: Vut and Chris too). That is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Even though the info might be out of date in a month or so, it give basic tactics and strategies against a certain army's strengths.

It's strange but this was the kind of info that I was expecting to see in the tactics sections of each of the factions, but there was nothing like this: basic concepts of what is good for a given faction, and/or against a given faction. I pretty much only found discussion that went directly into very detailed discussion of rules.

This might be something that would be good for us newbs to work on, for other even newer newbs who will be finding themselves in a similar situation.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. Mclimbin is right. This was what I was expecting in the tactics section as well. But at least it got answered. Looks like I may have to create a newbie Bible with all of the information we got going on in here.

Does anyone else have anything they'd like to contribute to help newbies get playing?

Elves: In former creations. . .not sure how the new ones will look yet. Don't rely on Marksman too much. Use it in the opening round if you have a chance, but shoot and move, shoot and move. One of the greatest aspects of the elf army is they have, on average, a better movement rate than most other models. Problems come up when your opponent brings cavalry. Use cover to your advantage, stay in the woods, it gives your normally lower than average DV a +2 boost no matter what type of cover you're in. Most importantly don't clump your archers together. It doesn't take much for a AOE or a swarm to run into your archer line and take out some of your most effective models.

Magic. We have plenty of it to go around from Danithal to Lysette and more. All with decent to good CPs. Use them to soften up your hard targets (high DVs) and then use your archers to pick them off.

Never, I repeat, never run across the battlefield and think you can take the fight to your enemy. Cry about it later, but realize that toe-to-toe they are going to take you out. Use your melee types as impromptu shields and speed bumps when the enemy gets close. If you have the numbers and support take out a couple with your fighters, but let your archers shoot into combat . . .we are the only faction that can do it without having to make Dis checks. Don't take on other warriors one on one, you will lose to defensive strikes more times than not.

[this post is subject to change/modification once the new data cards come out]

RE: Formation fighting

Formations help because it can reduce the number of Enemy Model's capable of making base to base contact with you, thus reducing one of the biggest components of a mob - Multiple Support Bonuses. It also allows you to take advantage of SA like Trencher, which allows you to use your Spearmen's Reach Support on Defensive Strikes. With Crusaders, I have found this is a bit of a survival need, since you are often going to be short by an entire troop's worth of Models.

Formations do become vulnerable to AOE based attacks like Volley and Spells. For spells, just carry a Level 3 caster in the formation, and make sure the formation is never wider than 5 models, and you're safe, because the AOE attack will hit the Defensive Magic caster in the middle, unless they purposefully short it. Anything that does get through, gets Crusader healing goodness. Volley, you can't Dispell an Arrow, but Volley attacks against Models with DV 12 + Deflect. Go ahead :poke:

It's not a necessity. You don't fight in close and tight because of a Command Radius or anything. You do it because you reduce the number of Models that can attack you from 6, to a maximum of 3.

Granted, you can try and flank the formation, but that's a LOT of extra movement, and if you are fighting this way, you're going to have another Troop nearby ready to deal with those flankers.

RE: Lack of information in the Factions and Tactics threads. There was more in older threads, but they were unstickied when the 1.2 cards came out since some of the information was not as relevant (depending on which Faction). Also, us old guys are usually more than willing to answer questions if folks ask, either here or in Tactics. There are actally a few general Tactics threads floating around in the backlogs of Faction and Tactics in the unstickied posts. We didn't duplicate as much stuff in the newer threads because well, we'd already discussed it ^_^

An addendum; again, under the v1.2 cards, and things will change to some degree.

Under v1.2, the Reven is the only faction with 2 archers: the Goblin Skeeters and the Bull Orc Archers. The Skeeters are expensive, good archers (RAV 3) that are relatively easy to hit and have Marksman (so can fire twice if they don't move). The Bull Orc Archers are middling archers (RAV 2) with long range (30") and can actually serve as secondary troops with a MAV of 1. A troop of Bull Orc Archers on a hill, led by Kharg (who hides behind them to use Warcry to bring them back when they fall) can provide good fire support that can often take care of themselves reasonably well when attacked in melee, especially if they can use the height to their advantage.

Under v1.2, the Crypt Legion (a Necropolis sublist) is very powerful, especially if you take Aysa and one or more Kaenas. The Skeletal Breakers are relatively cheap, relatively hard hitting horde types. The Skeletal Archers are relatively cheap decent archers. Kaena is vulnerable, but can be very powerful as a ranged attack solo: she hides behind the line until the enemy is close and conveniently lines up. Then she sails through the friendly lines with her non corporeal nature and uses her short ranged attack to go through several models at once. Aysa when combined with a gruesome familiar, is arguably broken when she hides in a corner and just summons Spectral Minions each turn through the gruesome familiar.

Suggestion for your Newbie Bible, Stormseeker. Compile a Newbie Bible Version 1.2 first with all the info that everyone has already generously given. Then when the new version comes out create Newbie Bible Version -insert new version number here-, then add everyones new assessments of the factions once the new stats have been well played and tested.

Qwyk - Thanks for the in-formation. Thats the info I was looking for.

Styates - Nice sig. I'm a big Fantasy Football fan myself.

vutpakdi - Thank you as well. Thats some good Necro insight. I hope those broken figs are fixed. I expect they will be.

Zep - I'm going to compile for the time being. In the near future, I'll create the post, and then I will update it when v1.X is officially released.

This community is great! You guys are really making a difference to a new player. And this is going to help a lot of other people get involved in the game once its all said and done. I would LOVE to create a tutorial, with pictures that illustrates turn-by-turn sequences so people can actually see a sample game.

Since we're expanding our discussion, I'll include a little more about Reptus. Rule #1: Always take a Totem with Retpus! With the Reptus warriors having a poor MAV of 1, a Totem is necessary to allow them to compete with those DV 11 warriors of other factions. We also have some of the best bang-for-the-buck solos in the game: Uru and River Trolls. Their High DV and MAV values make them dangerous on the battlefield, are cheap (relative to many other factions solos), and add initiative activations to the draw deck, increasing the chance that you will be able to act with major force when you want to. At times, you will find them being used as nothing more than a distraction; opponents will spend valuable actions to get the trolls off the board right away. Since Reptus are good at endurance battles, limiting the time your opponent has to take "freebies" (ranged and AoE attacks) against you. Get across the battlefield as quickly as possible and engage the opposition in B2B combat. Reptus have the best melee Warlord in the game; don't be afraid to bring out the Khonger below 1501 points - he can dish the pain like few other models. Reptus are pretty poor when it comes to magic-capable models, but Ssudai is one of the better mages for his points. People can also be shocked to find out that with some minor equipment, he can be DV 10-11 as well, and has the Rogue SA to backstab. Nothing like your mage laying the smack down on one of the opposition's elites AFTER he's out of spells. :;): Don't overlook Audt when it comes to building troops; he's a cheap sergeant with 2 tracks, 2 attacks, and DV 11 as well.

Reptus greatest weakness is a lack of diversity: no cavalry, no flyers, no burrowing models, weak magic (overall). You'll fight tooth and claw for every model you kill, but it is fun.

~v

Wow, this thread is getting juicy! I must say, the energy from this beginning got my excitement back up for Warlord (not that it was gone, just had busy times, ya know :blush: ). When I first got into the game a while back, I actually started a Warlord site that would have stuff like this . I too thought this sort of info would really help grab some newbies, as well as make their intro into Warlord much easier.

So, to make a long story short, I pulled out my old site designs and started working on it this weekend. I'll make a new thread to show what I have at the moment (and not to go too off topic here), but it's pretty content-free. It's just shiny without the substance.

Maybe we can all collaborate?

Edit: Oh my, where are my manners... Welcome and thanks for the energy stormseeker!

Thank you chesme, I appreciate the warm welcome. I'd love to do a Warlord site. I have web design skills so I can help as much as you need me too. Between the two of us, there's almost nothing we can't do. If anyone else wants to help, they are more than welcome to contribute. Perhaps if we can get some people solidly on board, we can delegate some tasks.

I'd just like to point out to the Reaper Peeps that we're not trying to take anything away from this forum. I want to provide people who are looking to play with some info.

Troops classified as Adept are limited to one unit each. Example: both Elven Archers and Deathseekers are Adepts. While I could take a unit each of Elven Archers and Deathseekers, I could not take 2 units of Archers or 2 units of Deathseekers.

The exception to this is that for games of 2000 points or more, you may take 2 units of a single Adept type. Hence, I could take 2 units of Elven Archers, but not 2 units of Archers and another 2 units of Deathseekers.

Troops classified as Grunt have no such restrictions.

Adepts and Grunts are both types of soldier models that must be lead by a leader. The difference is that Adepts are more specialized, trained, and/or rare than Grunts. In Warlord v1.2, all Adepts of a particular type (for example, Crusader Justicars) can only be fielded in one troop for every 2000 points (so, at 2001, they can be fielded in 2 troops; 4001, 3 troops, etc).

In v1.2, all archers are adepts and a number of the better melee troops are. For v1.2, in some lists and sublists, adepts become grunts. At this time, I can not comment on how the situation changes in the 2007 revision.

Ron

PS: My memory disagrees a bit with what cristomeyers wrote (while I was writing my adept vs. grunts note) and may be wrong. :)

Adepts and Grunts are both types of soldier models that must be lead by a leader. The difference is that Adepts are more specialized, trained, and/or rare than Grunts. In Warlord v1.2, all Adepts of a particular type (for example, Crusader Justicars) can only be fielded in one troop for every 2000 points (so, at 2001, they can be fielded in 2 troops; 4001, 3 troops, etc).

In v1.2, all archers are adepts and a number of the better melee troops are. For v1.2, in some lists and sublists, adepts become grunts. At this time, I can not comment on how the situation changes in the 2007 revision.

Ron

Not entirely accurate.

1 troop w/ a single Adept type: 0-1999

2 troops w/ a single Adept type: 2000-2999

3 troops w/ a single Adept type: 3000-3999

4 troops w/ a single Adept type: 4000-4999

etc, etc.

Some examples to help (Templar Knight, Justicars and Ivy Crown Archers are all Adepts in default Crusader armies):

• Sgt +9 Justicars @ 1500 = 1 type of Adept, 1 Troop. = Legal
  • Sgt +9 Justicars && Sgt +9 Justicars @ 1500 = 1 type of Adept in 2 Troops below 2000 points = Illegal
  • Sgt +5 Justicars +4 ICA @ 1500 = 2 different types of Adept in one Troop = Legal
  • Sgt +9 Justicars && Sgt +9 ICA @ 1500 = 1 type of Adept in one troop. 1 type of Adept in another troop = Legal
  • Sgt +5 Justicars +4 ICA && Sgt +5 Templar Knights +4 ICA @ 1500 = 1 type of Adept in 2 troops below 2000 points = Illegal

At 2000 point builds, all of these examples would be considered legal.