Sign in to follow this  
mooseyjoe

Player's feelings on the upcoming changes to warlord

My mistake, for some reason I thought Dauron only had 5 tracks, but of course he has a zero track as well, taking up to 6, so that pretty much eliminates that part of my dislike about him.

@ Stubbdog, I agree that a common complaint was that a hero may have gone down too quickly and was pretty much useless when they were on their last damage track. This was due to very quick degredation of DV making them exceptionally vulnerable, and Mov, making them a crawling target (just my opinions). I love that these two stats seem to have been kept relatively high on Dauron, what I dislike is that everything seems to have been kept fairly high as well, which makes me feel like it's somewhat pointless to even bother having degrading damage tracks. I would rather have seen a quicker dip in MAV, RAV, and Dis on a model like Dauron, while keeping DV, MD, and Mov at the levels they are on the new data card.

MAV: 7-7-6-5-4-3 or 7-7-6-6-5-4 would have been more to my liking

Dis: 9-9-8-7-6-5 might have tickled my fancy a little more as well

Just a matter of taste I suppose, I'd say the same should go for soldier type models as well (a quicker and greater drop in MAV,RAV,Dis).

Perhaps the best part about Warlord is the varying stats as models are wounded, keeping the stats as constant as they seem to be in Daurons case makes me feel sorta like 'WHy bother' having stats that change at all, just present us with a Games Workshop style static set of statistics.

Hmmmm... I feel Darthiir's pain here. Without saying too much.. maybe it's possible just to say "when you play, you'll enjoy the way the stats fall." You can see how they fall on 8 cards now, so it's no secret.. but just imagine trying to kill Dauron with the grunts listed. Then imagine trying to kill Dauron if those grunts had their MAV or DV values drop more dramatically. And you can forget the Smite(Good)/2 because there are, of course, evil models which correspond to things like the Dwarf Warriors and Templar Knights, at least in general. Pretty much, yes it hurts to get a model injured, and yes it makes you less effective and easier to kill, but.. well, to be frank, it leaves you with less of a feeling of "aww, I'm so screwed now that they rolled the lucky 10 on my hero!" Dauron and, pretty much most models, can now absorb some (some being variable, i.e. compare the grunts to Dauron) lucky hits without being crippled. If you ask me, this is a very very good thing. It rewards a devestating attack that ought to kill a model, without giving undue advantage to that lucky guy in your playgroup who's d10's only have the 9 and 10 sides.

...snip...

MAV: 7-7-6-5-4-3 or 7-7-6-6-5-4 would have been more to my liking

Dis: 9-9-8-7-6-5 might have tickled my fancy a little more as well

Just a matter of taste I suppose, I'd say the same should go for soldier type models as well (a quicker and greater drop in MAV,RAV,Dis).

Perhaps the best part about Warlord is the varying stats as models are wounded, keeping the stats as constant as they seem to be in Daurons case makes me feel sorta like 'WHy bother' having stats that change at all, just present us with a Games Workshop style static set of statistics.

Remember that reaper said models are going to degrade differently. Sometime dependent on their faction and sometimes on their race or class.

You're right when you say there are going to be models that have static values throughout all of their Damage tracks or values that only change slightly.

One thing you're forgeting is that there are ALSO models that degrad just as you described.

There are mortal heroes that once wounded lose moral. Their courage wains on the field of battle while being ripped to shreds by the claws of demons. 7-6-6-4

Then there are those that have stared death in the eye for centuries as a death knight. Fought in countless battles and through their undeath have nothing to fear. 9-9-9-9-8-7

In short, the new system just allows more fluff to enter the stats.

THat's fine, if we're not looking at standard degredations like we are in the current edition I can handle Dauron as he is, assuming every character won't have such a slow degredation.

What initially made me think that degredation of MAV, RAV, wasn't enough were the grunt models however. MAV 4-4-3-3 or 4-4-3 just doesn't do it for me. I'm sure I can live with it, and it won't prevent me from playing or anything like that, I would just prefer to see a more severe degredation, that imposes a greater consequence for taking wounds (As stated earlier I like the idea of lesser degredation applied to DV and Mov, to help keep such models 'usefull'), but I'd rather see grunt MAVs track more along the lines of 4-4-3-2 for the Dwarf and 4-3-2 for the Templar. Like I said, it's a matter of personal taste, but I think doing so would keep more of the original versions character, in that there are somewhat severe consequences to taking damage, while making losing wounds less detrimental than previous (By keeping DVs and Movs higher).

One thing I have to admit I'm very very excited about, is the obvious trend to get away from using adepts as a balancing mechanism. Basic soldiers and archers returning to grunt status has me stoked. That was a huge selling point for me when the game was released, the ability to have Archers, Warriors, Pikemen, a Hero, and a Leader in each unit. People have gone away from this totaly in their build these days to maximise the number of Adepts they can get in their army, so we've seen far more homogenious troop building than we used to. I'm pumped to see a return to the grass roots with regards to this issue.

...but I think doing so would keep more of the original versions character, in that there are somewhat severe consequences to taking damage, while making losing wounds less detrimental than previous (By keeping DVs and Movs higher).

I think the severe consequence of getting wounded is that you're that much closer to death. Most models can absorb a round of attacks (one on one, at least - if they get ganged up on all bets are off). They won't be that much worse off after that one round, but next round if they recieve equal punishment, they're dead. So taking damage is the difference between "I can take some punishment" and "I really can't afford to take any more hits."

One benefit of the new system is that a model's lifespan has a bit more to do with what the model itself is like, and less to do with "how soon will my opponent roll a lucky number." One track soldiers were mostly at the mercy of lucky rolling - these new models are tough if they're supposed to be, and not tough if they're not supposed to be. As you can see from looking at the stats EE has posted in the Updates 2007 thread, the models are costed dramatically different based on how tough they are, so it all works out in the end.

...the ability to have Archers, Warriors, Pikemen, a Hero, and a Leader in each unit. ... I'm pumped to see a return to the grass roots with regards to this issue.

Yes! I whole-heartedly agree! Now, bear in mind that when I started playing Warlord, Archers were already adepts. BUT I heard from players that it used to be different, and their stories were very appealing to me. Look forward to your archers surviving longer - mostly because they aren't all in a group with other troops trying to cover them - they are in a troop with their own guys covering them!