Sign in to follow this  
mooseyjoe

Player's feelings on the upcoming changes to warlord

Ok, so now after a bit of thinking and reading the counter rants, I feel a little better about the changes.

I AM STILL NOT HAPPY <_<

But the word GRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAA no longer describes my emotions. I'm going to trust you privileged individuals who have sneek peeked the rules. Just be wary, my ninja team is on the way to snag them :rolleyes: .

While I still can't register for a new fanboy card yet, I'm not as upset as I was. :blush:

GRRR

Edit: @shakhak: why should I change my topic title? It is a word that sounds unhappy. A sort of barbaric yawp of disappointment. Plus it's fun to say. Just stand up right now and scream it, you'll feel rejuvinated. I don't see why it shouldn't stay.

hmmm, maybe the subtitle could be clearer. I'll just change that.

So what happened to not talking about the play testing??? but as far as i can tell from everything the reaper people have said and how the sample data cards look some people will like it some won't people should just wait and give it time to see it then make their decision on if they like it or not

..snip...

Just be wary, my ninja team is on the way to snag them :rolleyes: .

..snip...

Edit: @shakhak: why should I change my topic title? It is a word that sounds unhappy. A sort of barbaric yawp of disappointment. Plus it's fun to say. Just stand up right now and scream it, you'll feel rejuvinated. I don't see why it shouldn't stay.

hmmm, maybe the subtitle could be clearer. I'll just change that.

They are IN the COMPUTER! :D

I can't stand titles created with all Caps, it's usually against forum policy to post a topic with all caps also. It also isn't informative in any way as to what the topic is about. It's just an attention grabber. Call me the forum police and your under arrest Moosey :)

Yeah a subtitle would help, and since your title was all emotion I guess it's ok lol :)

I had to wait a bit to post anything, because I've been of mixed emotions about the whole announcement. Since I'm not really into the game yet, but have bought the basic rule book, my biggest concern was "How much more money am I going to have to spend to get current on the rules?" - EEs latest post seems to have nullified that concern.

I noticed that Reaper seem to be addressing the one thing that really pisses me off about GW. I spent $40 for the WFB rulebook, then a few months later, had to spend another $50 for the "new" box set, just to find out they didn't really change that much, then a couple years later, had to spend another $60 for the next box to stay current. Finally, I was up to speed, had my armies, all the necessary expansions, but moved, so I didn't have anyone to play with. Now, a few years later, I want to get back into playing - I have my armies, but they've changed the rules so many times, I have to update to the new rules - my old armies don't work under the new rules and I have to buy a $20 army book AND a $50 rule book (or a $45 box set) just to get the new rules and rebuild my armies to suit the new rules. No where online could I find the info necessary to build a legal WFB army without buying the army book and/or rulebook.

That's where I get really annoyed with game companies. Ok, I can understand changing the rules to make for a better game. But when you start changing the force compositions in such a manner that force me to buy new models and/or army books, you're going to lose me as a customer. That's one of the things I really like about Warlord - the way the core rules and army composition currently are, there is so much flexibility in army and squad choices, that Reaper would have to bend over backwards to redo the army composition rules to invalidate half my army. I don't think they'd do that, because they know as well as I do that the first thing people would think is "They're doing this to force me to buy more", where as in GWs cases, some of the armies are unbalanced enough that the changes can be "justified" by bringing balance back to the game. I think this has a lot to do with the fact that Reaper ties the data card to the model, unlike GW, who will create an army list that may or may not take previously existing models into account (Skink archers, anyone?).

As long as Reaper keeps the data cards and minor rule changes available for free, I won't begrudge them any attempt to make the game better.

I'll have to agree 100%!

...snip...

Well ok all, let the pessimist hear it! Again remember I was just giving my opinion of what a drastic change could envolve!!

Probably most important:

Fourth, and if this is over stepping my boundries as a play tester edit this post or PM me to edit it. I hated the 1.2 changes. That quick fix put a band aid on broken game mechanics and called it a day. It took models out of the roll they had since the beginning of the game, and adjusted things in strange fashions.

With these changes models have been properly aligned to what their role used to be, or should have always been. These changes fix problems that Warlord had from expanding so rapidly without proper direction.

Most importantly, it removes the band aids and fixes the game the way it Deserves to be fixed. If you want a company that won't admit their faults when scheming up a game, there are dozens out there.

Lastly, I'm no Reaper fanboy. I'll rip into this company as well as the next, but first they have to give me a reason too.

Snip??? I'm speaking from 2 years of playing this game against every army in the book, multiple times, and about every scenairo available! I've also played against some of the best players in the world including Lord Bassen and Kelcore when they were on the top of the world rankings!! And sorry to bring you guys into this, just to prove a point, because ya know I think your both awesome! But I won my game against Scott and won the first game and loss the second game with Kelly. They were all great games! So I think I've earned the right to express my opinion! Specially since I didn't think I was being rude at all. I was just throwing out potenial issues.

I mean look how everyone said for a while Crusaders were worthless, Well Kelly sure knew how to play them. You can't blame any army for being bad, honestly I don't think there really was a bad army out there. Save maybe Razig's (because Razig was that whole army) but Razandule sure knew how the play them well. To me that doesn't mean go out and raise just the price of the soul cannon's it means be prepared for them. Maybe they where a little cheap, so tweek them a little ONCE. Using all battle reports and public opinion over at Least 75 to 100 games played by different people. Bring your best army to the field and play them smart! Whoever wins, wins! No game is 100% fair to all that play! AND THATS NOT THE GAMES FAULT its the skill of the players!

OK sorry to rant again. (Not really :grr: ) Obviously none of us know what the new changes are going to be! Even the play testers because the changes aren't made yet. Now I'm sorry, I play the Dwarves and I love to play them but 4 track grunts aren't Warlord and never have been! And its sure not properly aligning anything. Yeah I've seen some of the testing stuff like others have said and I'm not giving ANY detail but I've seen armylist's that will DOMINATE everyone else!! And that was just from seeing the info. for a few min's!

Snip???

<MOD>

when someone snips out a portion of your (generic your) post in a quote on our forums it is generally done to reduce the length of the quote not as a form of disrespect.

not everything needs to be included in the quote in order to make the point you(generic you) are trying to make.

please take a step back as it feels as if tempers might be escalating.

</MOD>

I've merged two threads, because I thought they were similar.

Anyway, theres been some great discussion here. Keep in mind that debating the topic is good, attacking other peoples posts is a no-no.

if you've got some more questions for us, post them here

If you just want to yell at someone, my email address is [email protected]

Anyway, have a great weekend everyone.

Interesting. I take a break from wargaming for the past several months, jump back in this week by buying the CAV2 rulebook, and now I see this. Quite simply, kudos to Reaper. I like it when a game evolves and gets updated. I am eagerly looking forward to the upcoming changes. And even if the current faction books will become obsolete, I'll still buy the Overlords book for the fluff.

While I understand the irritation of some people, I like how the changes seem to be further unifying the RAGE system; points costs and new stats for Warlord seem to indicate that it and CAV will be at similar point scales, which is nice (as opposed to now, where average Warlord size is 1500 and CAV is 3000+). Altering the data cards to match more closely is probably helpful to players, though I think the older system was a bit cleaner since the weaponry distinctions of CAV weren't necessary.

I understand the frustration. My fellow players gave me this look like are you completly mad?!? when I told them.

Well, yes maybe...but...

I promise you one thing. If you hate how it comes out after trying it, and say so, and never play again...We won't hold it against you, we will be sad.

And if you love it, love it, love it! and want to shout it from the rooftops...Even better, but how you feel now won't count against you 'cuz come on, we're all gamers, we fear and hate change...I seriously thought my husband was going to explode when D&D 3.5 came out, until he tried it.

I don't know if its perfect, but I'm pretty sure it won't totally suck either.

Change is hard, especially coming on the heels of the changes last summer. Concern, general grumbling, and overall wariness is understandable. I completely understand those feelings.

In all likelihood, there will be changes that seriously make you grumble and gnash your teeth. There will be changes about which you'll be delighted. And, there will be changes that you think, "okay, I'm not thrilled, but I can see how the game is better overall, even if things are tougher for me in the short term."

Please hold final judgment until you read the actual changes and have a chance to try them out. The game is changing: what has worked before will probably not work in the same way now. But, if, as a whole, the changes make for a more enjoyable, balanced, and accessible, if slightly different game, then the changes will be a good thing.

Having no changes at all would be worse. Yes, some people would like the game, but others would quit in disgust because of the lack of "fixes" to what they see as obviously broken or at least unbalancing issues. A game that is static for too long can be seen as moribund and dying.

Ron

A game that stays broken too long will be deserted en masse. Just my $0.02.

I just read the FAQ post (pinned, at the top of this forum)

Rulebook + Chronicles = PLAY

Now THAT rocks! The old format meant to have access to all options you needed most of the faction books (but which ones? better get 'em all just in case) plus the rulebook plus the updated data cards. Now it seems two books covers everything! WOOT!

If this IS the new format, Warlord just got a new player. The old format was a pain in the aft.

I'd just like to chime in and say that, judging from the new datacards that were posted...

I am going to really LIKE this update.

One of the things that's always bothered me about skirmish games is that grunt models were still single-wound stands - one hit kills them off. It makes sense when models only matter as part of a unit, like in WHFB, but in Warlord I've always felt - especially since the introduction of multi-track grunts - that it was out of place.

Also, take a look at the degradation of values on those wound tracks. It's not anywhere near as severe as what we've seen on multi-track models before - but it isn't flat, either. It WORKS.

I'm all for the change, as much as it may discommode those who have every data card memorized. It will make for a MUCH better game.