colored metallics

Kengar

I was looking to paint some armor a metallic purple/blue. Are the colors in "Colored Metallics II" intended to be used together (Sparkling Purple, Sparkling Blue, Emerald Green) with the "triad" system? I guess my color-fu is weak because the idea of green highlights on purple seems weird to me. :wacko:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mind you - depending on how you tried it - you could end up with a pretty neat effect...

Like the carapace on a beetle.

Or mother of pearl...

Or a really tacky car's paimtjob <_<

But IIRC, metallics have a tendency to break down when thinned (flecks start to show) - but I don't know if that's the case for the Reaper paints.

So what would people recommend for colored non-NMM armor in general? Should I paint it with a metallic, like Chainmail, then go over it with washes or what?

It would be better to select the metallic colour you want for the mini - start by adding black to the paint on the palet, highlight up using the straight metallic, then final highlight mixing the base metallic with silver/gold - similar to normal blending/high-lighting, but using silver gold in place of white/yellow.

YMMV

Consider a black or dark undercoat, with the highlights picked out in a bright non-metallic of the same colour as the metallic. I once used GW metallic blue shaded with GW blue ink, it looked pretty nice... if that's any help.

I think I would paint the base a dark but intense version of the colour and dab on some highlights just in the hottest spots. Then I'd go over it with the metallic. Finally, I'd consider a wash with maybe a thinned version of the matching Liner, or maybe with a thinned ink. Then if you want to brighten it up, blend some pearl white with your metallic, or just dab on tiny highlights with pure pearl white.

Pearl white - is that a white metallic?

I have had good luck starting with black, then working up with successively lighter metallics, thinned down. I use IWM Steel, then GW Boltgun, then end with GW Mithral, with some white mixed in for extreme highlights if i am doing pure silver. Each coat covers less of the subject. Sorry, I have no Reaper paints here. I had some good luck doing some beetles with bronze this way using appropriate substitute shades, and then going over them with purple and green ink.

I think green highlighted purple works well, if you get the blending right. I did a purple highlighted green mindflayer this way, and I consider it one of my best pieces.

So what would people recommend for colored non-NMM armor in general? Should I paint it with a metallic, like Chainmail, then go over it with washes or what?
Use the "Silver triad" and add your choice of "color"...or use one "metalic" and your choice of a "color triad".

Some "historical" guys will polish up the metal in the areas that are...metal. Then start with a coat or two of Tamiya Smoke. This helps add depth and if you work it around the raised edges, will help deepen those areas. When dried, Tamiya has other colors that can be used to tint / glaze the metal (dry brushing isn't very effective after you've polished metal...no surface tooth). Final step is a bit of graphite (pencil lead) or rub on metalic paste for the highlights.

Also, Jakob Rune Nielsen's site has some great metalic painting tutorials.

Thanks

AWhang

Edit: sorry, this thread was about using specific paints, not about painting with metalics...please disregard.