Player Characters

Jester

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Eversberg - I seal my stuff with Dull Coat Laquer. Twice if I know it will be handled on the table top.

@Meg - Sometimes yes, and sometimes I don't want them to play with the miniatures either! But a couple of coats of dull coat and then I just have to let them go. I mean, if you paint them, I guess they should be played with, right? But I'm not going to spend 10 - 12 hours on a piece knowing it's going to get greasy fingers all over it with my group.

@John - DOH!!! :blink:

Well, I stole your idea for the pin blade for the Bella that's been seeing use on the table since October-but I kept it sharp and pointy! I seem to have impenetrable fingertips, but others have poked themselves on her blade. And whomever it was who doesn't like the pin conversion, it's my fault..... I'm the one who insists on it.

@Eversberg - I seal my stuff with Dull Coat Laquer. Twice if I know it will be handled on the table top.

@Meg - Sometimes yes, and sometimes I don't want them to play with the miniatures either! But a couple of coats of dull coat and then I just have to let them go. I mean, if you paint them, I guess they should be played with, right? But I'm not going to spend 10 - 12 hours on a piece knowing it's going to get greasy fingers all over it with my group.

@John - DOH!!! :blink:

Good to know that it's not just my group who is afraid to pick up miniatures. The ones I have in my box are some of my first work and really cruddy looking yet people don't seem to want to play with them and they are always so careful to pick them up. My current work they don't even touch, they let me pull it out of the box and they just look at it. I'm always telling them, it's ok, you can pick it up and play with it. They are afraid they are going to break it, chip the paint, etc. I always put a coat of krylon dull coat then two coats of testors and then gloss coat on anything that's supposed to be shiny. It's well protected!

Maybe I should just go back to my priming black and dry brushing color on days for table top minis.

Well, as I said the other day in chat, these look great Rob. I agree with Erin; your group is fortunate to have such talent in the group to provide great miniatures and terrain for them. Nicely painted miniatures certainly do make the game more fun.

@ Meg: Convince your GM to give the group the small benefit I give mine - I award a 10% XP bonus for the session to those that have a painted mini of their character. It's a nice motivator. :;):

~v

The fun thing is that I can take two - three hours and do a mini. Doesn't have to be perfect, nor fancy, nor even what someone else is expecting. I can just paint for the sheer joy of painting. And THEN I get the privilege of using them/seeing them used in a gaming situation.

For the interested, the D&D group that we're playing with for Age Of Worms breaks down as follows:

Buggeye - Our EVIL DM...

Jester - Magnusson, human male Fighter (ie, BIG TANK/MEAT SHIELD)

Cutebutpsycho - Bella, halfing female Rogue/Swashbuckler

Krtzoff - Orin, human male Bard

Zara, human female Wizard/Warweaver

Gerhardt, human male Cleric

Yolande, elven male Ranger

That's the group... and we've survived. Up til now. Next up is using the Greyhawk Arena that Buggeye did in this post

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25781

So we'll get to use it complete with the all and sundry miniatures. :devil:

Thanks for painting my female-adventurer-of-diminutive-size, Jester! ^_^ I like the deep blues and greens for a halfling rogue.

The figure is actually named Ingrid Sparklestone (since I figured that a svirfneblin should have a Scandinavian first name but a lot of them were already taken by female dwarves in DHL), but somehow she was misnamed "Olivia" in the latest CasketWorks. There is an Olivia halfling figure -- Werner's sculpt, with the loaf of bread in her pack -- and then there's the human cleric named Olivia that Werner sculpted more recently....

Anyway, it must be inspiring to the other players, to have such nice minis representing their characters!

Derek

Age of Worms Adventure Path is published by Paizo in Dungeon Magazine:

http://paizo.com/store/paizo/dungeon/issues/ageOfWorms

12 parts, taking characters (if they LIVE) from level 1 all the way thru level 20.

yes excellent adventure from them, Savage Tide for anyone following along in my play by post here is the next Adventure Path, Paizo put out, pretty much they took a break for a couple issues & then started up the AP again. Almost thought about doin that one instead for the PbyP but figured pirates & other stuff ( :devil: ) was more to this board's liking.

might have to do that with that figure, I like the pin conversion for her

RM

Well, I've got another two to show...

Here's the Warweaver, Zara. The hair and the colors were per the player, Dawn.

zara00.jpg

And then here is the Bard, Oren. I got to play a little with the colors. He orates as his specialty, so the figure worked out nicely. So did the bright primary colors I used to paint him up.

oren00.jpg

Well, not bad for about 150 minutes each. Now's there something for just about everybody. I just have to work on the elven Ranger, but I need to get the GW miniature prepped and primed.

Last one, I promise... and it's the elven Ranger who uses a two-bladed sword:

yolande00.jpg

I had to scale down the weapon as it's originally more of a spear. Also, I just used two different greens on the back of the cloak, and just whipped this guy done in a VERY short time. So now on Sunday all the players will have a new miniature to game with.

Now, to go watch a movie, relax, and try not to think about my PC's miniature sitting on the table... unpainted...