Sign in to follow this  
Darthiir

Vices

This being a public forum and all, I don't want to know about your illicit substances nor your use of government approved substances. . .this is meant more for the, "wow i am weirdly obsessed with "X." Where "X" is your own personal vice. This being a miniatures board it's kind of an unstated fact that you have a metal problem or plastic or paint or who knows what else.

My own personal obsession started back in middle school when I heard my first Cure song. . .and well, I am mildly obsessed with the band. I was never able to see them in concert back in their late 80's early 90's heyday (Marine Corps deployments, war, etc), but have made up for it since. Seeing fat bob and the boys all over New England and New York. . .never had the money to travel around the country to follow the band. I was seriously thinking about going down to Miami this weekend, but then I got hurt and blah, blah, blah. . .

To further my craziness. . .I have a tattoo of the cure logo from the head on the door album/cd on my leg.

B000002H2Z.jpg

So what's your vice?

Wow...I mean...wow.

Mine is compulsive book buying. I buy books. Lots and lots of books. I just recieved 4 today (including an omnibus I already read...just so I can add it to the library). That's on top of the 2 others I recieved on Monday...

Damon.

Aside from the obvious gaming-related things?

Webcomics.

I will waste 28 hours of any given day reading webcomics. They have made me late for work, they have led me to forget eating for a time, and broken into time formerly spent on other hobbies.

I love reading webcomics. Even the bad ones. I do have some standards, but some of the garbage in my favorites list is just awful.

My favorites right now: OoTS (and Erfworld to a far lesser extent), Misfile, and Girl Genius. Crimson Dark is nice, but the art doesn't grab me as much...Alpha Shade does the same thing...Angels 2200 is too infrequent right now...No Need for Bushido feels too spaced out for an action/adventury comic...and so on and so forth, ad infinitum, ad nauseam. But I read them anyway.

And the other, far more hilariously embarassing thing...I can sing along with (and even enjoy) the entirety of the first Spice Girls album. Isn't that horrific?

Sanael, we read a lot of the same webcomics, it would seem ::D:

My list is Comedity, Crimson Dark, CAD, Dominic Deegan (awesome punnery), DM of the Rings, Girl Genius, Goblins, Megatokyo, Misfile, Order of the Stick, Erfworld, No Need for Bushido, Questionable Content, and Striptease. And that's with the couple that don't update regularly taken out.

I also am really bad about buying books, though my lack of reading time lately has slowed that down a little.

Video games. So much so, I write for websites in my free time *skoff* so I can get free copies of titles.

kit

Aside from the obvious purchasing, painting, and playing with miniatures, a severe caffiene habit, and smoking, my vices would be message boards/forums and webcomics. Last summer I actually had to go through and delete bookmarks to some forums and webcomic because the amount of time I was spending reading and posting was causing some issues.

Shiny metal and pretty colors of paint, usually from Reaper, but I'm not exclusive (that's kind of a given though) and then time spent putting the two together.

Buying $1 fiction at Half Price Books. I LOVE to read, and, if the story is decent, I'll read just about anything-so for $1 I don't feel too ripped off if I don't like it. I then bring the books to the cabin when I'm done where we kind of have a 'feel free to take one home' bookshelf (because of my books)

Traveling around the country to meet my board friends and take painting classes (back to that shiny metal thing).

Sugar. I love it. I eat it, drink it-way too much of it. As I tell the little boy I nanny for (who talks about bad language being a bad habit for his brother) sugar is my bad habit.

An obsessive need to have wheels whenever I travel. Can't go on vacation without a car.

An obsessive independent streak. I wanna do my own thing how I want and when I want. Usually that works for most people as I never ask/require that others join me, merely that they let me do what I want without bugging me about it.

But no smoking, drinking, drugs, etc.

Organization.

My friends tell me there is medication for it. It's not to the point where I stop functioning if something is moved a half inch out of place, but it's pretty close. It's a 180 from my earlier childhood where my lack of attention and organization was out of control (love that ADHD). Rather than using medication to treat the ADHD, I got some behavior mods.

I come home and place my keys, wallet, rings, watch, cell phone and pen in the exact same spot. If not, I often can't find them the next time I leave.

In my closet, all my clothes are organized by color, sleeve length and style. I say it's because I frequently had to dress in near dark and didn't want to wake my wife by turning the lights on. But I did it before I was married and met her.

My bookcase has every book alphabetical by author. Multiple books written by the same author are organized by copyright date. If a book is part of a series, vol 1, 2, 3 are kept together, based on where in the time line book #1 was released. I keep a spreadsheet of it. I've marked what I have read and haven't so if I want to find something I haven't read yet, because with all the books I have, I sometimes forget, I check there. I'm not as bad as Lars seems to be, but I used to, now I just have less money to spend on several things so I have to spread it out. And I avoid bookstores unless I really want something, or it's Teacher's Appreciate Week at Borders!

I have my Warlord & CAV figures on spreadsheets, organized and sorted. (I'm working on DHL now, but honestly, might skip it just because I have so many out of blister).

My other vice is coffee, and specifically the caffeine in it. I have in my house about 12 different devices for making coffee. We have about 30 mugs, and whenever I travel to a new place, I usually pick up a souvenir of the trip in the form of another mug. Hell, I know the chemical formula for caffeine and used to keep a picture of the molecule on my desktop and an actual physical model of a it on my real desktop.

I'm with kit on the video games.

Just this school year I have played through:

-All three prince of persias

-a replay of The legend of zelda and the ocarina of time

-a first time through on the "master-quest" version of that game

-Need for speed Underground

-100% Mortal Kombat: Deadly alliance

-100% Soul Caliber 2

-Timesplitters 2

-Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (sadly not nearly as fun as the real baldur's gate)

-about a gazillion hours worth of smash brothers

-and over spring break I played through about half of Knights of the Old Republic

That's about 1 game every two weeks. I'm amazed that I can still paint and stay in school. Thank goodness I never got into WoW.

Edit: I forgot, I did Gears of war on every difficulty but easy, so that's another game to add to the list. And then there is all the time spent on wii bowling. And most of Zelda: Majora's mask. Eeeks, I better stop before I remember another game.

Technology. Though I've weened myself from having to buy all the new gadgets, I spend a LOT of time reading about it. I read a massive web article about all the underpinnings of Vista yesterday, took me about an hour, and it was all about stuff I have no need to know- API, graphic engines, etc.

I'm a bit of an audiophile too, but I'm a DIY type. So I built a 250-watt subwoofer for my home theater with 2 12-inch Radio Shack subs, and it performs like a $2000 sub. I put about $800 into my car stereo, but I built the sub for that as well, and spent weeks getting all the components as cheap as I could. Best I can tell, it would have run me $2k to just go to the stereo shop and have it installed.

My mp3 player handles ogg vorbis and flac files too, which was very hard to find.