Sign in to follow this  
Vinny

The Family

Sal and Vitto-

While standing outside speaking, the brothers hear the Deli door swing open and, looking back, they see Joey walk out onto the streets and wiping his mouth, preparing a cigarette with one hand. He looks up, sees you, nods a greeting before taking off down the street, a trail of smoke in his passage. His newspaper is carelessly discarded at the Deli door.

The clock at the town square in Little Italy hits noon and chimes a pleasant little tune twice. A large truck passes by, its engine rumbling, the cargo crates on its back shaking. Passerby walk past the brothers, occasionally a few you know nod a hello.

ooc- alright, boys. What's your course of action? ::P:

James-

"Yep! I'm Paulo, da one and only!" he says with a grin, his little chest puffing up proudly.

"Ah, for another 25 cent, eh?" he says, nudging you and winking. "Well, I'll take you to Maria. She's got very tasty dishes! Sicilian! Mama mia, ya know?" he says, kissing his fingers like a stereotypical spaghetti chef.

"And she's not married..." he adds slyly. "Come! Come! I take you there, sir!"

With great excitement, the boy leads James enthusiastically on a brave, daring, terryignly long and perilous journey... across the street.

"Here we go." he says innocently, then, turns around and holds up his hand for another quarter.

Again, this shop looks like any other, with glass windows. However, luckily for the boy, there is no sign save for the large word Pasta over the door. Fives round tables can be seen inside, with red vynil grided cloths drapped over them, each with four cheap but serviceable vynil chairs. Three people are currently eating inside, an old man and a young couple by the door. A young male waiter walks around, cleaning the tables and arranging the chairs. A lady is seen cooking in the back kitchen, but you can't make out her face.

"Try the veal." Paulo says cheerfully.

"Mario's gonna be pissed when we don't get back from lunch!" Sal says, finishing his second sandwich with gusto. "Glad we won't be around to see it." He claps his brother on the shoulder and the two head off in the direction of Paulie's.

Sal and Vitto-

With some fair sense of direction of the neighborhood, Vitto and Sal walk down the street, arriving finally at the pool house. At around this room, there's less people walking in front of it, especially with the presence of a guard standing next to the door. The man seems no bigger nor bulkier than Sal, but he is taller and buffer than Vitto. He's dressed in fairly ragged but nonetheless street-style clothing, a blue jacket and a tan cap, but the aura he gives off is one of any other street goons hired for muscles rather than brains. He stands at a slanted angle, leaning his back against the wall-mounted mailbox outside from the main door, hands in his pocket and a cigarette at his mouth. Noticeably, pedestrians are steering clear, walking a bit farther away when passing by where he stands. It's unclear, however, whether they are avoiding him or the pool hall, perhaps both?

As the two brothers near him, the guard glances up and, after a critical stare, he nods towards the door. Without a single word spoken, the man returns to his stance. Seems like someone gave a heads up to your comming...

A sign on the door says "Closed", however, but the man remains standing next to it.

Sal nods to the door guard and carefully enters the building keeping his bulk in front of Vitto and making sure that they aren't cut off from the exit.

James digs in his pocket and flips Paulo another quarter.

Lucas Aprillo Lucas's Cobbler Shop $ 310

Francis DiAtrio Soup and Bread Diner $ 250

Giovanni Grochi Gio's Cobbler and Shoes $ 400 ----- Done

Maria Tarino Maria's Pasta $ 300

Peter Marlesco Marlesco's Bed and Diner $ 160

James bends down to look Paulo in the face and asks, "Is the lady cookin Maria?"

James-

The boy nods in response, peering through the restaurant window. You notice that the lady in the kitchen spots the boy and waves, which Paulo waves back. However, she seems to have caught your eyes as well, and even from such a distance, you get the feeling she is trying hard to make it seem she did not see you.

"Yep! She makes very good dishes. Good lookin' too, or so I hear the older guys say. Hah, those gaffones ain't even got a chance with 'er." Paulo rambles on.

"Mista, why are you visiting all of these places? A man only needs one pair of shoes and a meal, but you have two cobbler shops! And three restaurants! Surely, you do not want to try all of them?"

Sal and Vitto-

As the brothers walk into Paulie's Poolhall, they are immerse into a smoky and stuffy atmosphere, a dimly lit establishment with rickety tables. Dim and dusty ceiling lamps hang over each pool table, some of them flickering even. There is a heavy smell of burnt tobacco and the hall is characterized by a stuffy warmth, as if a heater was turned on during a hot summer day. Even at midday, with the sun shinning bright outside, the blinds were closed, light shinning through in slits. Across the room, a slow little skat and trumpet tune warbles from the record player.

Sitting at an empty table in a dark corner sat a man the brothers recognize as Joey, the man who approached them earlier. He looks up, gives them a greeting nod, and returns back to his drink sitting before him. At the counter, a very fat man stands, cleanining what looks to be a dismantled gun. He looks up and waves at the brother.

"Eh! You must be the Vitale bros, right?" the obesse man rumbles. "Come over 'ere. My hands are tied."

When you approach, you notice he looks quite unattractive, balding, stomach bulging out from his shirt, loose suspensers, smells heavily of cheap cologne and cigar smoke. In fact, on the counter sat a large chunk of cigar propped on an ashtray. The man looks at both brothers, than his eyes settles on Sal.

"You must be Salvatore Vitale, right? Big tough guy, huh?" he says, then turns to Vitto. "And you're Vittorio, right? Hah, I don't believe it! Old Mario was right! There'd have been no way in f**kin' hell I'd have known you two were bros."

"How's Mario these days anyway?" he asks, straying from the topic a bit.

"But whatever, so you're here for a job I presume. That's good, cuz I've got plenty. But I gotta ask ya... ya guys got problems with gettin' yer hands dirty?"

At the moment, the poolhall is empty save for two men and the brothers. Sitting near

Looking down at the little boy he says" Paulo ..... I am just interested in these places. A good friend of mine has told me great things about these shops and I wish to introduce myself to the owners. He told me they are the best places in this part of town so here I am." He bends down looks Paulo in the eye and says, "If ya stay outside ther'll be another quarter for you when we proceed to the next shop. Plus I get to take in all the nice restaurant smells." ::):

He taps Paulo on the head and walks into the restaurant.

He looks around the restaurant and sits at a booth that is unoccupied hoping that Maria will come out of the kitchen to wait on him. Sitting down he looks back at the sheet and counts out the money [under the table so no one notices --- $300.00 --- places it in a separate envelop and places that envelop into a different pocket] that is to be paid to Maria.

James-

James enters the restaurant and sits at a table near the window, with a perfect of hte kitchen. The whole place is perfumed with the sweet scent of herbs, garlic, and olive oil. Its a bit warm, but the food looks good. From his seat, James sees Maria more clearly. She is a young, red-head woman, very attractive, with slender arms and long hair. She looks at James, this time for a bit longer and gives him a shy smile before returning to her cooking.

The waiter swings by the table and stands in front of James, holding a notepad and a pencil. An old and cheaply printed menu sits before James, listing many meals and drinks.

"Buongiorno. What would youlike today, signore?" he says.

Maria, however, remains in the kitchen.

"If we hadda problem getting our hands a bit dirty I think we're in tha wrong place," Vitto says with a half smile. "And Mario is doin' good other than needin' ta pay us more. And speakin' of pay I think that is somethin you can help with."

Vitto

"That I can do..." the man says and leans over the the counter, taking his cigar and chomping it between his teeth. He takes a oily soiled rag from under the counter and starts to clean the detached barrel of his gun.

"The name's Paulie. If you haven't known who I am, well, I run this raquet here. I work for Don Marlino. Ya heard of Don Marlino? Everyone in Lil' Italy knows Don Marlino." he says, puffing large amounts of smoke from his mouth. His breath, even a distance, smells of cigar and liquor.

"Alright, well da job pays 200 greens... apiece. That's 400 bucks for the two o'ya. No tricks, no nothin'. Ya do yer job wel, and the Don pays ya well." Paulie says, taking the handle of his handgun and cleaning that.

Vitto's keenly notices the shapes of the gun and determines its probably a revolver. There is a roll of yellow-ishtape on the counter along with a small carton of ammunition, several cartridges laid out on the table. Sal, a bit slower and perhaps less curious, does not notice this, but definatly he recognizes a gun, no doubt. The two brothers do, however, know the name Marlino. Everyone in Little Italy does, becuase Don Marlino owns Little Italy, in terms of the underworld. Vitto, particularly, knows a bit more than Sal, so he knows that Marlino has a son people called Vincenzo (probably Vincent). He also knows that several businesses in Little Italy pays protection to the Don, including Mario (occasionally in the past, Vitto as Mario's accountant has been told to record the profit cash and divert some to an unknown party).

"That's 400 dollahs." Paulie repeats as he begins to reassemble the gun, taking the barrel and screwing it back onto the handle piece. "Interested?"

"How could we not be interested in sucha deal offered by the generous Don Marlino," Vitto says respectfully. Paulie might not rank up there with the upper food chain but Vitto knew exactly where this ticket could lead for him, his brother, and his family. "All we need ta know is tha people that need a talkin' to."

"Buongiorno. What would youlike today, signore?" he says.

James replies, "Hi. Good day to you fine sir... Everything here looks great and the smells are so wonderful. Might it be possible, if I may to have a chance to talk with chef Maria to see what she recommends today?"

[James hopes that he will get a chance to talk with Maria this way {incognito}]

:blues: